FX 6300 OC or FX 8320?

xflowpipe

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Hello All!
I recently just purchased a FX 8320. While doing my research, I stumbled a question that I have yet to figure out:

More cores or higher frequency?

For example, my current FX 8320 runs at 3.5GHz for the most part. I have noticed that Windows 8 has the last 2 as "parked" during my normal usage, leading me to believe I am wasting resources and possibly incurring a higher cost.

I been thinking of getting the FX 6300 which runs at 3.5Ghz but only with 6 cores instead of 8. This why I can overclock the FX6300 so Windows will instead use all 6 at a higher frequency, thus no resources are wasted by being "parked".

If this justifiable or should I just keep the 8320 and "future-proof"?

More cores beyond 4 doesn't really give that much of a benefit... yet.

On the other hand, the frequency of the cores is an absolutely arbitrary measurement of nothing ; which is why an i5 running at 3.4 GHz is still faster than a 8350 running at 4.0.

What exactly are you using this computer for? That'll answer your question about what CPU to go with.

DarkSable is right clock speed does not matter as much anymore it still helps to get higher performance but yes a 3.4ghz i5 beats a 4ghz 8350, but it still is a competitor to the i5 and going to a 6300 with the same clock speed is dumb ur losing performance for things that use the core count.

Both are piledriver cpus so if u were to disable 2 cores on the 8320 ud get a 6300 basically so there would be no difference.

If u were to get the 6300 itd be more of a downgrade as ur really not gaining performance just because something doesnt use the cores doesnt mean its being wasted. The cores will get load randomly and are never "unused" I havent looked or played with Win8 but im assuming parked is just background processing or a power saving feature but they will get used when under a higher load than standard use.

Also the overclock will not change the "parked" setting most likely its a windows feature that can be turned off and an overclocked 6300 at the same speed is the same as a overclocked 8320 if those cores stay in parked. Also if u really want it to be off "parked" see if u can disable cores, its not recommended as well then u turned ur more expensive 8 core to a 6 core which can be changed back, but just a waste than the cpu not using those cores.