7950 clock speed fluctuating

DPCLEV

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Hey guys hoping you can help me out with a weird issue I am having with my 7950. First off I just bought this card a couple weeks ago and it has been acting this way off and on from the start. So while playing games sometimes I would noticed a lot of lag or stuttering every 10 to 15 seconds, so I decided to start monitoring my clock speeds and temps with GPUZ. Stock core is at 850 and boost speed is 925, well 95% of the time while playing my clock stays at 850 but will randomly spike to 925, also my gpu load fluctuates a lot and hovers around 64% almost never going to 100%.

I have been doing a lot of troubleshooting and here is what I have found. When I turn the computer on from a cold boot then play a game my clock speeds are fine and gpu load stays @ 100%. If I let the computer go to sleep, then wake that is when I get the issues described above.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any thoughts. To me it seems like a power issue, but why only after waking from sleep?

Here are my system specs. I left everything stock to rule out any unstable overclocking.

CPU: Intel I7 2600K
Mobo: Asrock P67 exteme4
Ram: GSkill sniper 2x8GB 1600Mhz
GPU: Sapphire 7950 100352-2L
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750w

jts23

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Sounds like a bios issue with the card, the 925 boost clock is from a boost bios. Have you overclocked the card before or have you got catalyst control center runnning aswell?

DPCLEV

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
I'm not overclocking the card at all, and I have catalyst installed. Driver version installed is 13.1. Also tried reinstalling windows and used 13.3 beta same thing both times, after waking from sleep clocks fluctuate and GPU load won't go 100%.

If your gpu is stuck at 64%, heck even not 99% its a VERY clear indicator of a CPU bottleneck. Chuck that ancient i7 2600K and put in.... Um... Er.....uh..... Ok.... I give. Intel hasn't come out with an improvement in 2 generations. Trooolooollllooolllooooo

Anyway probably driver, bios, or software issue. There are a lot of boards that have huge issues waking from sleep, and I am NOT AT ALL surprised an asrock board would due to there generally lower quality. I'd suggest googling "sleep issues" for your particular board. Its constant on some boards.

Sometimes its an update. but a shocking amount of the time they refuse to fix it or they're screwing

DPCLEV

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Hey guys after even more testing I have come to the conclusion that this is a bug with the AMD drivers. If (after waking from sleep) I go into Catalyst control center and go to the performance tab and change any setting (core, memory, etc.) then hit apply change the setting back hit apply everything goes back to working like normal. I tried this method several times and it fixes my problem every time.

Just throwing this out there in case anyone else runs into the same sleep issues as me. I believe this method will work as well if you are using an overclock utility like afterburner or trixx.