Sign in with
Your question
Solved

FX-8320 MAX TEMPS? titletooshort

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 16, 2013 8:26:17 AM

Yes, I have searched google, for a week now for safe temps.

I get mixed answers.

One said he happily overclocked the same cpu to 4.5Ghz and has it for a year now. with 83c full load....
that's just outrageous!

To my knowledge anything about 65c is not worth it.

I keep getting mixed answers everywhere.
April 16, 2013 8:34:05 AM

You dont want to go over 62C on the core, thats the general rule of thumb but nonetheless people do go over it. I wouldnt really.

I have the same processor.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2013 9:20:21 AM

So, this guy has it for a year now at 83c? A cpu, that became available in October 2012? How reliable is that? A +1 to jts23: 62c is what amd says.
m
l
Related resources
a c 912 à CPUs
a c 364 K Overclocking
April 16, 2013 11:51:11 AM

So, this guy has it for a year now at 83c? < not true.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 16, 2013 2:05:37 PM

Sorry, should've been more clear. The year thing was a figure of speech...
and as for core temps, I noticed are about 10c lower than the cpu temp. so you're saying it wont matter the cpu temp but the core temp?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 16, 2013 4:33:29 PM

Andy11466 said:
Sorry, should've been more clear. The year thing was a figure of speech...
and as for core temps, I noticed are about 10c lower than the cpu temp. so you're saying it wont matter the cpu temp but the core temp?

Exactly, the CPU temp is the cpu socket temperature and the package or core temps are the actual physical cpu core temps. I have my 8350 running fulltime 4.5ghz and I've got it stable at 5.0ghz, I would aim not to exceed 62c on the cores at any time. If you are around 55-60c during stress testing that will be normal with most closed loop coolers or high end air, anything that is not custom watercooling. I've also contacted AMD regarding this, they state 62c as the max safe temp for our chip. Hope that helps :) 

EDIT: Oh yea, and the guy runnning at 83c is A. Out of his mind and B. Ordering a new chip soon or already has because his will be frying eggs only.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2013 8:27:52 AM

hmmm, I'm very skeptical now, most overclocking guides I read said they would look at the cpu socket temp and not the cpu core temp because its like 10c lower. You're saying as long as the core temps aren't above 62c and whatever the cpu socket temp is ex:75-80c then it won't matter?
m
l
April 17, 2013 9:37:16 AM

What cooler have you got, i've got the hyper 412s and my 8320 overclock to 4.4 @ 1.45 vcore doesnt go past 52c
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2013 2:19:24 PM

Andy11466 said:
hmmm, I'm very skeptical now, most overclocking guides I read said they would look at the cpu socket temp and not the cpu core temp because its like 10c lower. You're saying as long as the core temps aren't above 62c and whatever the cpu socket temp is ex:75-80c then it won't matter?

That is 100% what I am saying. On the 8300 line the package temps are valid, and should be used for reference, not the socket/cpu temp in some programs. If you need reassurance you can contact AMD directly, which I have done regarding this issue. My socket temps will spike above 75c easily during stress testing while my package/core temps are where they should be, around 55c. I've done my research because when I first started overclocking this chip I found my temps WAY too high for the overclock with my cooler until I contacted AMD and received the correct information.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2013 2:21:04 PM

I have the evo 212. Clocked to 4.0Ghz.

I'm not getting a clear answer though. I was taught to look at the cpu socket temp and not the core temp because it's 10c lower.
But on here I'm getting that you look at the core temps.

I get 55c with 4.0Ghz, I normal room temperature, great fanning system, everything checks out. (Note:55c is the cpu socket temp)
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2013 2:25:25 PM

Andy11466 said:
I have the evo 212. Clocked to 4.0Ghz.

I'm not getting a clear answer though. I was taught to look at the cpu socket temp and not the core temp because it's 10c lower.
But on here I'm getting that you look at the core temps.

I get 55c with 4.0Ghz, I normal room temperature, great fanning system, everything checks out. (Note:55c is the cpu socket temp)

I think you should just be safe and contact AMD then, or just stick with the overclock you have. Your sensors could be relaying information to software differently.

Also I hear ya, every other cpu I've owned followed socket temps, running into this issue was for me an eye opening.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2013 2:40:56 PM

Thanks for the help. I'll keep it at 4.0Ghz until I get my H80
m
l
!