Solved

What do you think? My planned system build!

Hi there, new user here.

I would appreciate any advice on my future system build by the folk with more expertise in the field than myself. I've never built a system before mainly due to the horror stories (they're numerous throughout the net) and intimidation due to the complicated nature of putting one together.

Anyway here is my planned build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/jedizbest/saved/1tJh

Any advice/recommendations regarding compatibility and/or performance would be greatly appreciated.
All the best, Jed.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about planned system build
  1. What's the build used for? Gaming?
  2. Best answer
    You're paying too much for the motherboard and CPU, you can get far less expensive. You don't need an i7 if gaming is the primary use for this rig. Drop that to an i5 and put the money elsewhere. This would be a better use of that budget:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£62.75 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£149.26 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£52.97 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£104.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£55.86 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£310.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.99 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: NZXT HALE 90 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£129.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.13 @ Amazon UK)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £1204.30
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-16 18:24 BST+0100)
    Differences:

    - Better case
    - Super Flower quality power supply
    - Gigabyte GTX 670 has a stronger cooler for better overclocking as opposed to the EVGA reference cooler
    - Define R4 is a better case than the HAF X
    - Less expensive motherboard with no plastic coverings and Thunderbolt support
    - OCZ Vector is better than Crucial M4
    - Added second 1TB drive for mass storage
  3. Are you at/over/under budget? At any rate, the going recommendations here are:
    - don't need more than the 3570K for gaming
    - 680 is not worth the difference over the 670 (7970 is a good choice as well due to the free games assuming the offer is valid in UK)
    - Sabertooth doesn't provide much value - better bet if you like ASUS is the -V (or even cheaper the -LK) if you are not going for very high overclocks
    - would get a larger SSD if you plan to run more than a couple games off it
  4. g-unit1111 said:
    You're paying too much for the motherboard and CPU, you can get far less expensive. You don't need an i7 if gaming is the primary use for this rig. Drop that to an i5 and put the money elsewhere. This would be a better use of that budget:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£62.75 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£149.26 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£52.97 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£104.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£55.86 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£310.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.99 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: NZXT HALE 90 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£129.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.13 @ Amazon UK)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £1204.30
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-16 18:24 BST+0100)
    Differences:

    - Better case
    - Super Flower quality power supply
    - Gigabyte GTX 670 has a stronger cooler for better overclocking as opposed to the EVGA reference cooler
    - Define R4 is a better case than the HAF X
    - Less expensive motherboard with no plastic coverings and Thunderbolt support
    - OCZ Vector is better than Crucial M4
    - Added second 1TB drive for mass storage


    The only thing I really want is ultra graphic capability on the latest games and good HD video editing, would your recommendations be capable of that? Thanks!
  5. J_E_D_70 said:
    Are you at/over/under budget? At any rate, the going recommendations here are:
    - don't need more than the 3570K for gaming
    - 680 is not worth the difference over the 670 (7970 is a good choice as well due to the free games assuming the offer is valid in UK)
    - Sabertooth doesn't provide much value - better bet if you like ASUS is the -V (or even cheaper the -LK) if you are not going for very high overclocks
    - would get a larger SSD if you plan to run more than a couple games off it


    around this budget by a few hundred more or less is fine. Like i said previously, I want ultra gaming capability (AA max) etc.
  6. 680 is a couple of frames faster for a LOT more money. Not a good value.

    If lowered video editing times are critical to you, then the 3770K is probably a better choice. If it's once in a while, I don't think I would - but it's your money :)

    The cheaper mobos will not affect performance for either scenario.

    You're not going to get ultra (very high) in a game like Crysis 3 with a single card and maintain 60 fps. So it depends on the games you play.
  7. J_E_D_70 said:
    680 is a couple of frames faster for a LOT more money. Not a good value.

    If lowered video editing times are critical to you, then the 3770K is probably a better choice. If it's once in a while, I don't think I would - but it's your money :)

    The cheaper mobos will not affect performance for either scenario.

    You're not going to get ultra (very high) in a game like Crysis 3 with a single card and maintain 60 fps. So it depends on the games you play.


    Total War games, Arma 2 ( 3 when available). Pretty system heavy games, Crysis 1? I suppose I could afford a second card if that's whats necessary to maintain a stable framerate? forgive my lack of knowledge, a entirely new field for me this PC building business. :P
  8. Build the system and see how it goes with one GPU of your choice. If it's not as fast as you want, the rest of your components will support adding a second GPU for SLI/CF. You can look up benchmarks on the web for those games and see what you should expect to get.
  9. Jed Hurdiss said:

    The only thing I really want is ultra graphic capability on the latest games and good HD video editing, would your recommendations be capable of that? Thanks!


    Cell phone cameras can edit HD video now it doesn't really take an i7 to be able to accomplish that. I mean if you're running Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere that's one thing but if you're just editing videos for Youtube purposes you don't need that strong of a CPU. The GTX 670 will handle all the graphics you need. If you want more than that go for a Radeon 7970 GHz edition.
  10. g-unit1111 said:
    Jed Hurdiss said:

    The only thing I really want is ultra graphic capability on the latest games and good HD video editing, would your recommendations be capable of that? Thanks!


    Cell phone cameras can edit HD video now it doesn't really take an i7 to be able to accomplish that. I mean if you're running Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere that's one thing but if you're just editing videos for Youtube purposes you don't need that strong of a CPU. The GTX 670 will handle all the graphics you need. If you want more than that go for a Radeon 7970 GHz edition.


    I will be running Sony Vegas, I make short documentaries but 9 time out of 10 they are uploaded to youtube.

    Thanks for you help anyway, I will be taking your advice regarding the motherboard, SSD and case. I appreciate it buddy!
  11. Drop you CPU down to a i5 3570K.
    Get a GTX 670 instead of the GTX 680. Performance is about the same for alot less.
    I have the Asus Z77 Sabertooth and I think it is a very good motherboard keep it.
    You really need a good size hard drive because having your OS and games on the SSD will fill it up very fast.
Ask a new question

Read More

Performance Build Compatibility Systems