1600 or 1866

Rogue17

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Hi i know someone selling never been used 1866 memory at cheaper than it would be to buy new 1600, both corsair vengeance. I know my z77 is made for 1600 so my question is really is, does it make a difference or harm anything to run higher memory that defaults back to 1600, or is there any reason to not go for the higher speed memory that i can get cheaper.

Running 1866 over 1600mhz will provide almost zero performance gain for gaming, there is no reason to get anything higher than 1600mhz.

If it's never been used, and it's new in packaging, go for it since it's a deal basically.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
You have to consider that you are buying used vs new. With that said, high clock memory is a better if the around the same price and your motherboard actually supports the higher frequencies. Most Z77 chip-set boards allow you to overclock to 1866 so you should be able to configure the ram to run at 1866 with simple bios adjustments.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 is currently $50 at newegg.

Rogue17

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Im from south africa so the newegg prices dont really affect me haha. I have the msi mpower mobo so im sure it would all work just want to make sure. the 1866 hasnt been used and is cheaper than i can buy new ram since he wants to get rid of it. So since its cheaper and there are no adverse affects i will just buy the higher speed ram.

Since it hasn't been used and cheaper I think it's a pretty good deal to go with the higher memory. Just let the motherboard keep it set at 1600mhz, anything higher will yield no benefits at all, and you're good to go.

That's for the integrated graphics processor, using a dedicated card and you will see no benefit for gaming.

rdc85

Honorable

actually after reading the link u gave, the different for each ram speed after 12800 are bellow 2 fps....
the improvement is minimal, for budget build it's fine to stick with 12800...

for buying used goods, an extra careful is needed. make sure u tested it before pay it or buy only from trusted seller...

slomo4sho

Distinguished

I admit, there isn't much testing out there on high end card performance and memory speeds. How about this data with a GTX 680?

crysis.png

farcry.png

slomo4sho

Distinguished

I would be happy to examine any benchmarks you recommend. Almost all the available memory benchmarks utilize integrated graphics in the test setup.

Sadly they do mostly seem to be for integrated, but their testing method isn't credible enough for me, I've tested various setting on a few of my computers and have seen practically no better results for 1600 vs 1866 for gaming with a dedicated card.

footlong96

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
If you needed to go all the way to 200fps to actually notice something on a graph then I think that shows that faster ram doesnt benefit.

Lets scale those graphs down a bit. So if your getting 50 fps average on todays triple A title games, you might benefit from an extra frame by buying more expensive ram.