Solved

Which graphics card?

Hi, I'm looking for a graphics card which is around £300 or less (I might even push it to £350) and a suitable PSU to go with it. So far I have seen the 7950 for around £250, which will allow me to get a suitable PSU, but I don't know what PSU to get (I'm very indecisive) and I don't know if there are any other GPU's out there within the £300 range which I might want. I currently have a HD 7770 which isn't exactly amazing and therefore I am considering to upgrade, but with a 400W PSU in my computer I will have to upgrade that. So my question is this - Can anybody recommend a GPU (Around £300 or less) and a PSU to go with it? Cheers for all suggestions, and sorry for being indecisive lol.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card
  1. I don't like in the uk so I can't really give specific examples since I don't know any retailers that are common there. But here is a nice link to read up on info of power supplies, not specific models but stuff like single vs multi-rail.

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025425/how-to-pick-the-best-pc-power-supply.html

    Also a 7950 needs a 500w psu with two 6 pin pci-e power connectors, which shouldn't be hard to find. Also stay away from cheap power supplies and buy something decent I have always liked Corsair and Seasonic psus.

    Hope that helped a little.
  2. _kardon_ said:
    I don't like in the uk so I can't really give specific examples since I don't know any retailers that are common there. But here is a nice link to read up on info of power supplies, not specific models but stuff like single vs multi-rail.

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025425/how-to-pick-the-best-pc-power-supply.html

    Also a 7950 needs a 500w psu with two 6 pin pci-e power connectors, which shouldn't be hard to find. Also stay away from cheap power supplies and buy something decent I have always liked Corsair and Seasonic psus.

    Hope that helped a little.


    what is your cpu because if it is rather low end it will be bottlenekcing the higher end cards.
  3. Corsair TX 750 and your 7950 would be very very very good.
  4. david cassar said:
    _kardon_ said:
    I don't like in the uk so I can't really give specific examples since I don't know any retailers that are common there. But here is a nice link to read up on info of power supplies, not specific models but stuff like single vs multi-rail.

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025425/how-to-pick-the-best-pc-power-supply.html

    Also a 7950 needs a 500w psu with two 6 pin pci-e power connectors, which shouldn't be hard to find. Also stay away from cheap power supplies and buy something decent I have always liked Corsair and Seasonic psus.

    Hope that helped a little.


    what is your cpu because if it is rather low end it will be bottlenekcing the higher end cards.


    +1

    I could give any card with my penty 4 and preformance would be still bad as mhjadvf. <-----censoring skills over here
  5. Yeh, I used to be indecisive, but I'm not sure now ;) .
    We need more detailed specs-as has been said-CPU, monitor size and if your system has a 64 or 32 bit operating system.
    Not all 7950s use dual 6 pin PCI-E connectors BTW, some use 1x6 and 1x8 (like mine) so it would be a good idea to get a powersupply with at least these leads, if not 2x8.
    Good names to go for: Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, FSP, OCZ and Antec. Look for 500-600 Watts, preferably with dual 8 pin ( some show as 6+2)PCI-E connectors.
    A few shopping links: Aria, Scan, Dabs, Novatech, Misco, Ebuyer, CCL and Overclockers.
  6. coozie7 said:
    Yeh, I used to be indecisive, but I'm not sure now ;) .
    We need more detailed specs-as has been said-CPU, monitor size and if your system has a 64 or 32 bit operating system.
    Not all 7950s use dual 6 pin PCI-E connectors BTW, some use 1x6 and 1x8 (like mine) so it would be a good idea to get a powersupply with at least these leads, if not 2x8.
    Good names to go for: Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, FSP, OCZ and Antec. Look for 500-600 Watts, preferably with dual 8 pin ( some show as 6+2)PCI-E connectors.
    A few shopping links: Aria, Scan, Dabs, Novatech, Misco, Ebuyer, CCL and Overclockers.


    I have an Intel i7 3770 ;). And sorry for the long delay I got an early night sleep and had to go to school so you know...
  7. Best answer
    KristianHP said:
    coozie7 said:
    Yeh, I used to be indecisive, but I'm not sure now ;) .
    We need more detailed specs-as has been said-CPU, monitor size and if your system has a 64 or 32 bit operating system.
    Not all 7950s use dual 6 pin PCI-E connectors BTW, some use 1x6 and 1x8 (like mine) so it would be a good idea to get a powersupply with at least these leads, if not 2x8.
    Good names to go for: Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, FSP, OCZ and Antec. Look for 500-600 Watts, preferably with dual 8 pin ( some show as 6+2)PCI-E connectors.
    A few shopping links: Aria, Scan, Dabs, Novatech, Misco, Ebuyer, CCL and Overclockers.


    I have an Intel i7 3770 ;). And sorry for the long delay I got an early night sleep and had to go to school so you know...


    With an i7 get a hd 7950 or 7870xt(220 pounds) and also upgrade your power supply to something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-P1-550S-XXB9-PRO550W-Edition-Supply/dp/B004RJ8EKI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366306830&sr=8-1&keywords=xfx+550w
  8. Just need the monitor resolution to complete the picture (pun intended). A higher resolution means a more powerful graphics card will be needed to drive it and keep up with the CPU.
    Assuming a single 1920x1080 monitor either the HD7950 or slightly slower HD7870 LE (that 'LE' part is very important) will be a night and day improvement over the HD7770 currently installed.
    Nice PSU by david cassar, but I think I can do better ;):

    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-silverstone-strider-sst-st50f-es-80-eff-80-plus-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-v23-psu

    And I think you'll have to look long and hard to beat this:

    http://www.ebuyer.com/432444-powercolor-hd-7870-myst-pcs-edition-2gb-gddr5-dvi-hdmi-dual-mini-ax78702gbd5-2dhppv3e

    As for school...I can barely remember ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics