Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
My set up:
AMD FX 8-core 4.0 ghz processor
32 gb DDR3 RAM
990 FXA-GD80 motherboard
Crossfire Twin Frozr III r7850 video cards
1.5 Terabyte hardrive
Will 650 watts be enough to power this or should I go higher?

For a system using two AMD reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 600 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

What is the brand and model of the 650 Watt power supply that you are considering?

fixer762

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Looks a little like the build I'm doing right now. I would go with a 850W Gold, modular power supply from Seasonic or Corsair. That way you have some room for overclocking if you do that and power supply degradation.
Corsair one
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=53719&vpn=CMPSU-850AX&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1371

Seasonic one
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58217&vpn=X-850%20Gold&manufacture=Seasonic%20Electronics

vendors I'd recommend would be Newegg or Ncix. Watch for sales. Remember with a power supply you get what you pay for. And Please don't go cheap on a power supply.

D

Deleted member 217926

Is that a shiny new SCAR-H ( 17S ) I see in your sig there? :ouimaitre:

A guy on Armslist and The Outdoors Trader here has been trying to sell an Argentine FAL with wood furniture for the last few months. If it's still there in a couple of weeks when I have some extra cash in the toy fund I'm going to grab it.