Solved

DisplayPort - multiple monitors - how to connect them?

I'm having trouble finding this info on the web. I recently purchased the following upgrades to my existing setup:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008WVWRXC/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HNEBLK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No DisplayPort cables came with either device so I went to the local PC shop and asked the guy how to hook it up, since its different than having a monitor per port or a KVM.

What he told me was, I use the DisplayPort to connect to monitor 1, and then I use one of the HDMI ports on the back of each display to connect the two displays together.

I purchased a 3' HDMI 1.4 cable to connect the 2 monitors, and a 10' DisplayPort cable (no version)

My second display isn't being recognized by the card when I have it setup like above.

Suggestions?
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about displayport multiple monitors connect
  1. Are you sure the monitor is set to the proper setting. It should have a source button like a tv to switch between dvi hdmi or displayport. And to be sure since i'm not quite sure on the wording if you are having problems with hdmi or displayport connection to one of the monitors? It won't really matter what order you put the monitors in they can all be rearranged in windows or in the nvidia control panel. If its the displayport connection then check to make sure it has clicked into place I know on my titan card it takes a hard push to click in. HDMI also takes a bit of a push to make sure its all the way in and not loose.
  2. Airm3n-1292454 said:
    Are you sure the monitor is set to the proper setting. It should have a source button like a tv to switch between dvi hdmi or displayport. And to be sure since i'm not quite sure on the wording if you are having problems with hdmi or displayport connection to one of the monitors? It won't really matter what order you put the monitors in they can all be rearranged in windows or in the nvidia control panel. If its the displayport connection then check to make sure it has clicked into place I know on my titan card it takes a hard push to click in. HDMI also takes a bit of a push to make sure its all the way in and not loose.


    I'm using Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 to make it easy for referencing.

    Monitor 2 is set to input video from HDMI-1. The cable is connected from Monitor 1's HDMI-2 port to Monitor 2's HDMI-1 port.
    Is there a setting somewhere that I need to tell Monitor 1 to output a signal on M1's HDMI-2?
  3. Oh I think i see what you are doing. You have to run the cables from the video card. So monitor 1 has displayport from pc. Monitor 2 has hmdi cable from pc. Going hdmi from monitor 1 to monitor 2 won't work in any scenario. That goes for as many monitors as you connect.
  4. Every cable has to start at the pc and end at the monitor provided you don't have a kvm switch in the middle somewhere.
  5. Best answer
    Airm3n-1292454 said:
    Oh I think i see what you are doing. You have to run the cables from the video card. So monitor 1 has displayport from pc. Monitor 2 has hmdi cable from pc. Going hdmi from monitor 1 to monitor 2 won't work in any scenario. That goes for as many monitors as you connect.


    This is not true. I was under the impression that you can daisy chain monitors together using ONLY display port cables. I do not think that you will be able to have a HDMI cable between the two monitors. I believe you have to have a display port between the two monitors for this to work because they carry important data to pass along to the video card.
  6. DisplayPort is different Airm3n. You can have 4 monitors supported on a single DisplayPort-out from the video card.
  7. jkhoward said:
    Airm3n-1292454 said:
    Oh I think i see what you are doing. You have to run the cables from the video card. So monitor 1 has displayport from pc. Monitor 2 has hmdi cable from pc. Going hdmi from monitor 1 to monitor 2 won't work in any scenario. That goes for as many monitors as you connect.


    This is not true. I was under the impression that you can daisy chain monitors together using ONLY display port cables. I do not think that you will be able to have a HDMI cable between the two monitors. I believe you have to have a display port between the two monitors for this to work because they carry important data to pass along to the video card.


    This makes sense to me. I guess I have to return these 2 monitors, can someone suggest one that supports DisplayPort's daisy chaining feature for a comparable monitor?

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HNEBLK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  8. If you split the displayport connection it would work but going displayport from pc to monitor 1 and then going hdmi from monitor 1 to monitor 2 won't work. But that is on the absolute newest displayport specs of which I don't believe the nvidia cards support(someone correct me if i'm wrong on that count). I think its displayport 1.2 and I don't think much if any monitors support daisy chaining yet though some high end ones might.
  9. falieson said:
    jkhoward said:
    Airm3n-1292454 said:
    Oh I think i see what you are doing. You have to run the cables from the video card. So monitor 1 has displayport from pc. Monitor 2 has hmdi cable from pc. Going hdmi from monitor 1 to monitor 2 won't work in any scenario. That goes for as many monitors as you connect.


    This is not true. I was under the impression that you can daisy chain monitors together using ONLY display port cables. I do not think that you will be able to have a HDMI cable between the two monitors. I believe you have to have a display port between the two monitors for this to work because they carry important data to pass along to the video card.


    This makes sense to me. I guess I have to return these 2 monitors, can someone suggest one that supports DisplayPort's daisy chaining feature for a comparable monitor?

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HNEBLK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1


    It would be much cheaper to just buy a longer hdmi cable to connect to the monitor than trying to find monitors that support chaining as you'd need 2 displayports on the monitor and I'm betting they will charge you something outrageous to get that feature.
  10. I have 4 monitors that I intend to use this graphics card for. There is only 1 DisplayPort output.
  11. I have 4 monitors that I intend to use this graphics card for. There is only 1 DisplayPort output.
  12. Is there a particular reason you *must* use display port for these monitors? I see that your graphics card has 2x DVI, 1x HDMI, and 1x DP connectors. Why can't you just hook each monitor up to a separate input?
  13. Well I was trying to help. You haven't made yourself totally clear as you started talking about 2 monitors and now are talking about 4. If you only have displayport connections then you must use displayport cables for every connection. You can't mix and match different display connections.
  14. bluejayek said:
    Is there a particular reason you *must* use display port for these monitors? I see that your graphics card has 2x DVI, 1x HDMI, and 1x DP connectors. Why can't you just hook each monitor up to a separate input?


    Yeah - which is probably what I'm going to end up doing. Still - that's the OLD way of doing things.

    DisplayPort lets you run 4 monitors from 1 port, and I would like to know what gear I need to do that properly. Don't you?
  15. falieson said:
    bluejayek said:
    Is there a particular reason you *must* use display port for these monitors? I see that your graphics card has 2x DVI, 1x HDMI, and 1x DP connectors. Why can't you just hook each monitor up to a separate input?


    Yeah - which is probably what I'm going to end up doing. Still - that's the OLD way of doing things.

    DisplayPort lets you run 4 monitors from 1 port, and I would like to know what gear I need to do that properly. Don't you?


    You would need :
    a: Monitor that supports daisy chaining with 2x displayport connections
    b: All displayport cables
  16. Airm3n-1292454 said:
    falieson said:
    bluejayek said:
    Is there a particular reason you *must* use display port for these monitors? I see that your graphics card has 2x DVI, 1x HDMI, and 1x DP connectors. Why can't you just hook each monitor up to a separate input?


    Yeah - which is probably what I'm going to end up doing. Still - that's the OLD way of doing things.

    DisplayPort lets you run 4 monitors from 1 port, and I would like to know what gear I need to do that properly. Don't you?


    You would need :
    a: Monitor that supports daisy chaining with 2x displayport connections
    b: All displayport cables



    Agreed. Thanks.
Ask a new question

Read More

DisplayPort How To Monitors Graphics