Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What kind of ram should i get

Tags:
  • RAM
  • Games
  • Compatibility
  • Memory
Last response: in Memory
Share
April 18, 2013 5:33:59 PM

I like to game on my PC but i only have 6gb(3gb useable) installed. my friend told me that upgrading my ram should help but he said it depends if it compatible with my processer, i know that i have a intel(r) core(tm) Quad cpu q6700 @ 2.66Hz 2.67Hz. but im not sure what to buy, if anyone knows what kind of memory i can get or if my current infomation is even correct please tell me.

More about : kind ram

a b } Memory
April 19, 2013 6:33:14 PM

There are a few questions that need to be answered first. You say that you have 6gb and 3gb usable, why is only 3gb useable? What Windows do you have and what version 32 bit or 64 bit.
Do you have a prebuilt Pc that you bought from someplace? What brand and what model?
So far you don't need to add any ram because you have 6gb , you just have to make all 6gb usable. Games do not take much ram to be able to run well and while gaming with various games I don't usually see the ram usage go over 5gb and that's with the performance monitor running while the game is running. So if you can answer these questions we can see what can be done to get all 6gb usable.
m
0
l
April 19, 2013 7:08:58 PM

inzone said:
There are a few questions that need to be answered first. You say that you have 6gb and 3gb usable, why is only 3gb useable? What Windows do you have and what version 32 bit or 64 bit.
Do you have a prebuilt Pc that you bought from someplace? What brand and what model?
So far you don't need to add any ram because you have 6gb , you just have to make all 6gb usable. Games do not take much ram to be able to run well and while gaming with various games I don't usually see the ram usage go over 5gb and that's with the performance monitor running while the game is running. So if you can answer these questions we can see what can be done to get all 6gb usable.


system
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer LENOVO
Model 648322U
Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4
64-bit capable Yes

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 227 GB
Disk partition (C:)  78 GB Free (227 GB Total)
Media drive (D:)  CD/DVD

Graphics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600
Total available graphics memory 2046 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 768 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1278 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.1396
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10



m
0
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
April 19, 2013 7:11:31 PM

If you Windows is 32 bit then you cannot add memory because 32 bit Windows can only use 3.5gb of ram and that's why it says 6gb installed and 3gb usable. If you want to address all 6gb of ram you need Windows 64 bit.

When gaming the single most important component is the graphics card and you have a business style graphics card so that's what is making the games lag.
There are a couple of things that you can do to improve the computer but you will have to spend some money to do so. How much would you be willing to spend to make improvements?
You would need to get Windows 7 64 bit operating system and a graphics card. For just under $200 you can get these;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://appscout.pcmag.com/microsoft-windows/271588-micr...
m
0
l
April 19, 2013 7:25:30 PM

inzone said:
If you Windows is 32 bit then you cannot add memory because 32 bit Windows can only use 3.5gb of ram and that's why it says 6gb installed and 3gb usable. If you want to address all 6gb of ram you need Windows 64 bit.

When gaming the single most important component is the graphics card and you have a business style graphics card so that's what is making the games lag.
There are a couple of things that you can do to improve the computer but you will have to spend some money to do so. How much would you be willing to spend to make improvements?
You would need to get Windows 7 64 bit operating system and a graphics card. For just under $200 you can get these;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://appscout.pcmag.com/microsoft-windows/271588-micr...


ok, to make things a little bit more clear to me. me getting the graphics card u posted u upgrade me to 64bit? or will i need to buy something else to make it 64bit. see the second link and checked it out so i assume that i do need something esle but i have additional info u should know. when i got my computer i had windows xp on it so i went out and bought a microsoft upgrade windows 7 and installed the 32-bit version do i need to do the same thing but install the 64-bit version?

m
0
l
a b } Memory
April 19, 2013 7:41:09 PM

The first link is to a video card that I linked as an example of what you could get and there are a number of different models to choose from depending on your budget. This upgrade is for the graphics in games and does not affect the operating system version.

To get your operating system to go from 32 bit to 64 bit you have to get the 64 bit version of Windows. The second link is to show you that by being a student your eligible to get Windows at a reduced cost.
m
0
l
April 19, 2013 7:44:19 PM

inzone said:
The first link is to a video card that I linked as an example of what you could get and there are a number of different models to choose from depending on your budget. This upgrade is for the graphics in games and does not affect the operating system version.

To get your operating system to go from 32 bit to 64 bit you have to get the 64 bit version of Windows. The second link is to show you that by being a student your eligible to get Windows at a reduced cost.


oh ok so basically all i need is to purchase the same thing but install the 64-bit version. right?


m
0
l
a b } Memory
April 19, 2013 8:35:01 PM

Your Welcome.
m
0
l
!