System as it stand right now (I've stripped it to the bare bones to troubleshoot):
Case: Corsair carbride 400
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79
CPU: Intel i7 3820 3.6 GHz
CPU Coolant: Thermaltake Water 2.0
RAM: 1 x Gb stick Corsair Vengeance DDR3 at 1600 MHz
Power Supply: Cooler Master 850w silent pro.
When I boot the CPU LED light goes on, the case fans operate and the CPU fan (cooling system) operates. This only stays on for less then a second and then cycles turning off for a few seconds. The Standby power LED remains green whenever the power is on.
I have read the troubleshooting guide on this site and have been pouring through the manuals. Currently plugged into the board is:
- The CPU fan- the wire from the cooler is into CPU_Fan, the 2 wires from the fan on the radiator are on CPU_OPT
- 1 x case fan into CHA_FAN
- 2 x 4 pin ATX power connectors into the 8 pin slot
- the 24 pin ATX power connector
- The power button, reset button, HDD LED and 2 x connections into the USB 2.0 sockets which I'm pretty sure are the case fans.
- The HD Audio into "front panel audio connector"
I took apart everything again and checked the following:
- The CPU is well seated and with no thermal paste on the pins. The pins are not bent and the plastic covering was removed.
- The coolant system is firmly seated to the CPU
- The motherboard is spaced out from the case and there is nothing behind it causing a short that I can see. I pulled the board out to check.
- The RAM stick has been inserted into the D1 slot and is firmly seated. The make and model of RAM is on the QVL for this motherboard
- All connectors are firmly seated.
As I said, this is my first build. I really just wanted to learn how to do this as I went. Any help or advice would be most appreciated.