Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building a PC for video editing and games on a budget

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 19, 2013 1:55:28 AM

So I was browsing through good prices on desktop and laptops online and the overall consensus with reviews and reading on forums is that I should build a PC instead and get a better performing PC than say one that I was looking at the HP Pavilion p7-1423w. Now I did my research somewhat and I came up with this core components in building my own. I was going to waste $300 on the HP desktop. So I'm looking at a budget of $300-$500. I have Adobe Suite and want to do some gaming like Far Cry 3 and the latest AAA games.

motherboard: GA-B75M-HD3 LGA 1155 B75 mATX Intel Motherboard for $25 w/CPU combo
http://www.microcenter.com/product/406526/GA-B75M-HD3_L...

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor for $189.99

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800) C for $30 (got a hook up from a friend who works at best buy)

Power Supply: I can't decide between "750 Watt Fatal1ty Series Modular ATX Power Supply" or "CX Series CX500M 500 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply"
does it really matter which one I get?

Case: I really like red so I was thinking of getting this one
http://www.microcenter.com/product/383015/Commander_MS-...

or maybe get this one
http://www.microcenter.com/product/323929/V3_Black_Edit...
which is better?

I was also looking into an aftermarket heatsink fan, but should I really get it? If so, is this one good enough? "Hyper 212 Plus Universal CPU Cooler"
http://www.microcenter.com/product/315397/Hyper_212_Plu...

I already have a 1TB hard drive, but I plan on getting a SSD so I could install windows on it. I also don't know which GPU would be a decent one for gaming and video processing. I don't want to waste more than $100 on a graphics card and ebay has some good ones. Which ones would you recommend for more bang for your buck?

All in all, with all this specs, is it a good build for games like Far Cry 3 and BO2 and Adobe video processing or should I invest more and wait out and get better components?
April 19, 2013 3:00:22 AM

Good job on the budget rig, you've done a good job so far.

A little questionable on the motherboard from Microcenter, not many stores pair a non OCable Board with an Ocable CPU, but for that price ($25), thats a complete steal.

I'd go for the 750W, OCZ have really stepped up their game with the PSU's.

Advantages for the OCZ over the Corsair (OCZ is rated gold, Corsair one is rated bronze, OCZ is semi modular, and has black braided cables, Corsair is non modular, and OCZ of course give 750W of power which will last for a multi GPU build and many builds to come.)

I'd go for the Hyper 212 EVO, if it can fit.

Tbh, with a $100 GPU, you're not going to be maxing any current AAA games. You'll have to go into $200 territory (660 and 7850 for a bit less) if you're looking to play at decent frames at 1080p.
m
0
l
April 19, 2013 3:01:56 AM

I'd also go for the red case because

1. You prefer it
2. Has cable grommets
3. Proper side window to ogle over that rig
m
0
l
Related resources
April 19, 2013 7:14:18 AM

u are using a unlocked cpu with a motherboard that does not support overclocking if u don't want to overclock go for a i5-3570 or change the motherboard to a z77
what resolution will u be playing at if 1080p then u will have to increase ur budget if at 720p than a hd 7770 will be good
m
0
l
April 19, 2013 4:54:58 PM

JJ1217 said:
Good job on the budget rig, you've done a good job so far.

A little questionable on the motherboard from Microcenter, not many stores pair a non OCable Board with an Ocable CPU, but for that price ($25), thats a complete steal.

I'd go for the 750W, OCZ have really stepped up their game with the PSU's.

Advantages for the OCZ over the Corsair (OCZ is rated gold, Corsair one is rated bronze, OCZ is semi modular, and has black braided cables, Corsair is non modular, and OCZ of course give 750W of power which will last for a multi GPU build and many builds to come.)

I'd go for the Hyper 212 EVO, if it can fit.

Tbh, with a $100 GPU, you're not going to be maxing any current AAA games. You'll have to go into $200 territory (660 and 7850 for a bit less) if you're looking to play at decent frames at 1080p.


So I did a little more research and now I'm thinking of getting an ASRock motherboard, Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard to be exact and if I buy it with the CPU it will cost $94.99. So I guess I will choose this motherboard instead plus I just like the UEFI menu and how advanced it looks compared to the simple ones. With all this said, the total comes to be about $550.
I plan on waiting until I get more money to get a dedicated graphics card, but some people suggest that I should get the GPU first so I could install everything at once. What are your takes on this? and should I really get an aftermarket heatsink fan or is the stock fan good enough?
I was looking at this GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Superclocked 2048MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card
http://www.microcenter.com/product/400675/02G-P4-2662-K...

is it a good GPU to handle AAA games and video editing software?
m
0
l
April 19, 2013 4:57:27 PM

l89 said:
u are using a unlocked cpu with a motherboard that does not support overclocking if u don't want to overclock go for a i5-3570 or change the motherboard to a z77
what resolution will u be playing at if 1080p then u will have to increase ur budget if at 720p than a hd 7770 will be good


I might play at 1080p. I'm not really a PC gamer, but I'm trying to get into that and I'm also learning about overclocking and I would like the option to be able to do that if I can take advantage of it. What is your take on the build I'm trying to make?
m
0
l
April 19, 2013 5:01:05 PM

Yeah the Asrock Board is good value, I have one, its a good board for OCing the CPU.

I'd wait to get a better GPU, that 660 you listed is a great card for its price and will play games VERY well.

GPU drivers can be installed at any time (Provided you uninstalled the old ones first), so you have no issue installing the GPU later if you bought the system. So you don't need to install everything at once, the i5 3570k has a good IGP that won't game (Except for minecraft), but it'll work on youtube and awhile until you save for the card.

Are you planning on overclocking? If not, you don't really need it, however it can still get loud, and getting something like a 212 Evo from Coolermaster will help keep the temps down and keep it nice and quiet. You can easily OC to around 4.4-4.5 GHZ with a Hyper 212 Evo, its a very good cooler for the price.
m
0
l
April 19, 2013 5:41:50 PM

Don't get an i5 quad core CPU for video editing. The more cores, the better. Get the AMD FX8350+Asrock Extreme4 motherboard for a grand total of $240. The 8350 is 8 core, at 4 Ghz, and performs very good in gaming also. It's almost on par with an i5. And if you're not overclocking, then you don't need a CPU cooler.
m
0
l
April 19, 2013 6:58:41 PM

JPKaizer said:
l89 said:
u are using a unlocked cpu with a motherboard that does not support overclocking if u don't want to overclock go for a i5-3570 or change the motherboard to a z77
what resolution will u be playing at if 1080p then u will have to increase ur budget if at 720p than a hd 7770 will be good


I might play at 1080p. I'm not really a PC gamer, but I'm trying to get into that and I'm also learning about overclocking and I would like the option to be able to do that if I can take advantage of it. What is your take on the build I'm trying to make?


the card will handle any game now but i can't say how future proof it is
and if u want the option of overclocking than i5-3570k will be good
if gaming is not ur first priority than fx-8350 will also be good since it is good for multithreaded apps
m
0
l
!