Solved

Broken up image HD 7950

Hey,
Just finished my first PC build and all was going well till I left it running over night to install apps, games, etc. This morning I turned on the screen to find the image frozen, then the computer rebooted and now whenever I boot it up the loading screens all display correctly but the Windows 8 log in page is broken up with small squares, sometimes in diagonal, sometimes in straight lines (see pics).

http://i36.tinypic.com/ip1jba.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/104gfgk.jpg


I had the ASUS drivers on there for the video card and updated to the ATI drivers via ATI's website immediately before going to bed but I'm not sure if its related as I've rolled back to an earlier restore point created before the drivers and it's still happening.

Spec:
Intel Core i5 3570K LGA1155 CPU 3.4Ghz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Asus P8Z77-V
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 2100mhz
Seagate SATA3 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda
Samsung 250GB SSD 840
Asus HD7950-DC2T-3GD5 V2
Samsung Internal DVD±RW Drive
Corsair 600t
Antec 520W High Current Gamer Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 8 64bit
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about broken image 7950
  1. joltrik said:
    Hey,
    Just finished my first PC build and all was going well till I left it running over night to install apps, games, etc. This morning I turned on the screen to find the image frozen, then the computer rebooted and now whenever I boot it up the loading screens all display correctly but the Windows 8 log in page is broken up with small squares, sometimes in diagonal, sometimes in straight lines (see pics).

    http://i36.tinypic.com/ip1jba.jpg
    http://i35.tinypic.com/104gfgk.jpg


    I had the ASUS drivers on there for the video card and updated to the ATI drivers via ATI's website immediately before going to bed but I'm not sure if its related as I've rolled back to an earlier restore point created before the drivers and it's still happening.

    Spec:
    Intel Core i5 3570K LGA1155 CPU 3.4Ghz
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Asus P8Z77-V
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB 2100mhz
    Seagate SATA3 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda
    Samsung 250GB SSD 840
    Asus HD7950-DC2T-3GD5 V2
    Samsung Internal DVD±RW Drive
    Corsair 600t
    Antec 520W High Current Gamer Power Supply
    Microsoft Windows 8 64bit



    Hello there,

    To me it sounds like your graphics card is overheating causing it to "artifact". Open your PC case and check to see if the fan/fans of the graphics card is spinning. The other possible reason is that the graphics card isn't sitting well in the PCIe socket. Maybe it's worth trying removing it and reinserting it in the slot, also check that the needed power cable/cables are inserted well in the card.

    I hope this helps, and let's hope you get more replies from people suggesting a possible solution (if mine didn't help)
  2. Quote:

    Hello there,

    To me it sounds like your graphics card is overheating causing it to "artifact". Open your PC case and check to see if the fan/fans of the graphics card is spinning. The other possible reason is that the graphics card isn't sitting well in the PCIe socket. Maybe it's worth trying removing it and reinserting it in the slot, also check that the needed power cable/cables are inserted well in the card.

    I hope this helps, and let's hope you get more replies from people suggesting a possible solution (if mine didn't help)


    Thanks for replying.
    I've checked the graphics card fans, power and PCIe sitting and all are running and seated firmly.

    The card was running fine for a few hours, until I left it over night. Now immediately after turning it on and booting into Windows 8 it heavily artifacts, as seen in the image.
    If I log in Windows tells me there is a problem and Windows needs to reboot.

    I just took the card out and plugged into the mobo hdmi and it works perfectly.

    Any ideas or suggestions would be hugely appreciated as I've search around and I can't seem to find solutions, though I'm not sure I'm using the correct keywords.

    Thanks again.
  3. Is it possible it could be related to the PSU not putting out enough power? My current one is 520W, but I've heard 600W recommended.
  4. Best answer
    520w should be enough. I think you should start thinking RMA.
  5. smeezekitty said:
    520w should be enough. I think you should start thinking RMA.


    Really? I've just done a few different PSU recommendation wizards and most indicate 600w, so I'm starting to think it might be contributing.
  6. It is on the lower edge, but Antec makes good PSUs which can make their rated wattage.

    Besides I think if it did give you problems, it would be in 3D mode.
Ask a new question

Read More

HD Graphics