file sharing between windows vista and windows 8
i have my windows 8 pc sharing and the windows vista laptop sharing i can see on both computers on the network when i try an access a file on the vista it says access denied (error 0x80070005) but windows 8 can access any shared file on the vista... ive change the permissions to allow everyone to access file still no luck both on the same workgroup vista doesnt have homegroup, but i still have windows 8 on a homegroup, tried even getting off the homegroup still no luck any suggestions ? or solutions?
Can you please re-check the error code? The code that you specified (0x80070005) is related to Windows Update either through WSUS or any other medium.
Regarding accessing the files, as you said that you are able to access the shared folder on Windows Vista from Windows 8, I think you are accessing the files on Windows 8 using admin share a.k.a. administrative share. In this case you should enable Admin Share manually on the latter operating system, i.e. Windows 8. Here's how you can do it:
1) One Windows 8 desktop screen, press Windows + R keys simultaneously.
2) In the Run box, type REGEDIT command and hit Enter.
3) On the UAC confirmation box, click Yes to continue.
4) In the Registry Editor window, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.
5) Once you are there, right-click anywhere in the right pane, go to New and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value .
6) Rename it with LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy.
7) Now double-click LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy and in the opened box, in the Value data field put the value as 1 and click OK.
8) Close Registry Editor window and restart the computer.
Sometimes you may need to do the same thing in all Windows Vista and above operating systems. However in Windows XP or earlier OS, the admin share is by default enabled.
If you have shared a folder in Windows 8 (or any Windows Vista or above OS) and have given appropriate share and NTFS permissions, you don't have to follow the above steps at all. They are only needed if you want to enable admin share.
Hope that helps.