Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

One Gaming Rig to Run Them All (First Time Builder, $7000 Budget)

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
April 20, 2013 12:59:27 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Two Months

Budget Range: ~$7000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Youtube/Streaming, School Work

Are you buying a monitor: No (Have 2x27)

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, etc...

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii, USA

Parts Preferences: No Real Preferences

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I will sacrifice power for quietness. I want to make sure though that it does have the necessary cooling to keep it running optimal as there may be long nights of gaming ahead!

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I know that there is a lot of empty space in my project. To be honest I know $7000 is overkill, but I wanted to give the experts complete freedom in the design. I have done small upgrades on my PC's over the years, but due to a lucky promotion I have the ability to finally build the PC of my dreams. So after creeping the forums for months I decided I would come out and ask for the help I need.

More about : gaming rig run time builder 7000 budget

Best solution

a c 207 4 Gaming
April 20, 2013 1:23:54 AM

This is good enough. Kept the 850W in case you want to crossfire.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($133.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($93.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($445.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($131.17 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1648.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
Share
a b 4 Gaming
April 20, 2013 1:25:01 AM

wait for intel haswell and GTX 700 and Radeon 8000
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
April 20, 2013 1:31:13 AM

just buy a good one, then save the money, upgrade again after 2 years.

but if you really must, then buy a good set of speakers also, get 3 monitors
m
0
l
April 20, 2013 1:34:51 AM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RQRo
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RQRo/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RQRo/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($563.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($82.65 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: EVGA 132-SE-E775-K2 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($186.13 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($162.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($281.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($1006.13 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($1006.13 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($1006.13 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 900D ATX Full Tower Case ($335.53 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($263.49 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Dell U2711 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($745.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell U2711 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($745.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell U2711 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($745.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $7350.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-20 04:34 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
April 20, 2013 1:35:11 AM

If you're spending $7000, using anything less than three 2560x1440 monitors is a waste.
m
0
l
April 20, 2013 2:10:15 AM

JJ1217 said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RQRo
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RQRo/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RQRo/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($563.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($82.65 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: EVGA 132-SE-E775-K2 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($186.13 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($162.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($281.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($1006.13 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($1006.13 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($1006.13 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 900D ATX Full Tower Case ($335.53 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($263.49 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Dell U2711 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($745.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell U2711 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($745.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell U2711 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($745.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $7350.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-20 04:34 EDT-0400)


JJ1217 said:
If you're spending $7000, using anything less than three 2560x1440 monitors is a waste.


Thanks for the quick reply! How hard do you think the setup would be?
m
0
l
a c 207 4 Gaming
April 20, 2013 2:14:40 AM

If you are asking that question, stick with a cheaper build like the one I posted. It's not hard if you know what you're doing, but if not, it would be best to start small.
m
0
l
April 20, 2013 6:40:19 AM

If you value quietness, triple SLI is definitely not the way to go. The amount of heat/noise that's going to generate is going to be pretty heavy unless you go water-cooling (big no-no for your first build). Ksham's build is great, spending more money than that for 1080p is like throwing money away.

Ksham is right, if you have to ask that question, just stick with the cheaper build. The likely-hood that you'll mess something up with the $7000 build is likely slightly higher, and the fact is you're dealing with $3000 worth of graphics hardware vs $450 worth, so if (unlikely as it is) something does go wrong, it's not the end of the world (or the end of your sweet build). It's upgradeable, plenty fast and costs a quarter of the price.

The only change to Ksham's build I would make (since you mentioned silence as very important) would be to go with an ASUS 7970 rather than a Sapphire one, since they have consistently proved themselves to be miles ahead of other graphics cards in terms of noise levels (although there is a slight premium, I don't see this mattering with a budget like yours). You should read the reviews online though, to make sure you know what you're spending your cash on.

The only reason to go for the $7000 build is you really are looking to go for those triple 1440p monitors. Since you were originally planning on going for a single 1080p anyway, I don't see this being such a big draw, since the money is more often than not better spent on future upgrades to keep your system current, rather than being stuck with a 5 year old system later on down the line, that's really starting to struggle.

All the best,

M
m
0
l
December 22, 2013 11:39:33 AM

ksham said:
This is good enough. Kept the 850W in case you want to crossfire.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($133.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($93.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($445.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($131.17 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1648.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Wasted potential, I recommend nVDIA for the budget he has. Dual SLI 660's

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 22, 2013 11:53:53 AM

Sorry to say reply selected as best by you isn't the best choice at all. you can however easily get more perfoming PC build with future proof for years at around $2000 budget easily.
for that extreme budget a much better PC is needed to suit your needs !
something like this:


CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($745.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - OEM (64-bit) ($129.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1989.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

-CPU is a great performer for gaming as well as multi threaded tasks. you can do very good quality streaming / rendering / editing without any lag to be seen.

-Overclocking CPU will be a very good choice using a liquid cooler like H100i that is an amazing performer aswell.

-for GPU 780ti is infact a fasteted single gpu to maximize your games at that resolution all ultra for future years.

-A 800W PSU is all you need to future proof your RIG for overclocking + SLI.

-1TB harddrive can be changed to 2 if your requirements really huge (at that budget more focus should be given to a SSD though).
-or SSD can be selected for a higher space looking at your budget , though thats enough for OS installation and some casual programmes and see boost in performance!
(i would recommed getting a 700~GB SSD too if you have that high budget)

-16 GB Ram more - more - more than enough for your requirements.

-Case can be changed to any that suits you ( if you want design + some good cooling , a differnt better case can be chosen ) though this one is also a good choice.
-Operating system choice can be dynamic b/w 7 and 8 or 8.1 all on you.
m
0
l
December 22, 2013 12:50:56 PM

Niko_boy said:
Sorry to say reply selected as best by you isn't the best choice at all. you can however easily get more perfoming PC build with future proof for years at around $2000 budget easily.
for that extreme budget a much better PC is needed to suit your needs !
something like this:


CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($745.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - OEM (64-bit) ($129.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1989.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

-CPU is a great performer for gaming as well as multi threaded tasks. you can do very good quality streaming / rendering / editing without any lag to be seen.

-Overclocking CPU will be a very good choice using a liquid cooler like H100i that is an amazing performer aswell.

-for GPU 780ti is infact a fasteted single gpu to maximize your games at that resolution all ultra for future years.

-A 800W PSU is all you need to future proof your RIG for overclocking + SLI.

-1TB harddrive can be changed to 2 if your requirements really huge (at that budget more focus should be given to a SSD though).
-or SSD can be selected for a higher space looking at your budget , though thats enough for OS installation and some casual programmes and see boost in performance!
(i would recommed getting a 700~GB SSD too if you have that high budget)

-16 GB Ram more - more - more than enough for your requirements.

-Case can be changed to any that suits you ( if you want design + some good cooling , a differnt better case can be chosen ) though this one is also a good choice.
-Operating system choice can be dynamic b/w 7 and 8 or 8.1 all on you.


Plus. anybody who wants to spend $7000 on a Gaming machine and who can't decide the parts for themself maybe doesn't have their thinking cap on.

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 22, 2013 12:59:06 PM

FTPATQ said:


Plus. anybody who wants to spend $7000 on a Gaming machine and who can't decide the parts for themself maybe doesn't have their thinking cap on.



ha! cmon this guy seem very new in building a PC so we can definitely direct him to a correct path now :) 

@OP you shouldn't really rush to make a final decision when you are very new to this kind of stuff , you must verify b/w more and more parts.. (just a suggestion again)

m
0
l
!