Solved

gtx 670 vs 7970

Hi guys , I'm new to this forum and would like to ask what would be better for a build that includes SLi i was leaning towards the 7970 because it included 3 free game but the gtx 670 is more power efficient(i think) , and i would like which would be better to cross fire or sli . So guys tell me what do you think would be the best :D?
26 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gtx 670 7970
  1. lol power efficient ha...anyway the 7970 all day everyday
  2. kidrangpker said:
    Hi guys , I'm new to this forum and would like to ask what would be better for a build that includes SLi i was leaning towards the 7970 because it included 3 free game but the gtx 670 is more power efficient(i think) , and i would like which would be better to cross fire or sli . So guys tell me what do you think would be the best :D?


    what motherboard have you got?

    you want one with at least 2 16X lanes of pci-e 2/3

    some boards can have either one running at x16 or two at x8

    so with some you are better off with a single card
  3. 7970 is a more powerful card than the 670.

    you will need an intel motherboard or amd motherboard that supports crossfire for multiple cards.
  4. The HD 7970 is slightly better than GTX 670. Since prices difference are not that big (around $30), then I would go with HD 7970.

    In any case, you won´t need SLI/CrossFire these cards, are both of them are very powerful -- any one them will run any modern games at max settings!
  5. mauller07 said:
    7970 is a more powerful card than the 670.

    you will need an intel motherboard or amd motherboard that supports crossfire for multiple cards.


    I am getting aasock z77 extreme 4 motherboard
  6. jemm said:
    The HD 7970 is slightly better than GTX 670. Since prices difference are not that big (around $30), then I would go with HD 7970.

    In any case, you won´t need SLI/CrossFire these cards, are both of them are very powerful -- any one them will run any modern games at max settings!

    Well i actualy do plan on over clocking my gpu and cpu and planning on getting another gpu so i can cross fire but from what i heard it is horrible or meh
  7. jemm said:
    The HD 7970 is slightly better than GTX 670. Since prices difference are not that big (around $30), then I would go with HD 7970.

    In any case, you won´t need SLI/CrossFire these cards, are both of them are very powerful -- any one them will run any modern games at max settings!


    Oh yeah btw do you know any good monitors i know this probably isn't the right place but since you are here might as well :D ? and do you think a 850w would be enough for 7970 crossfire?
  8. As you´re getting such a fancy Graphic Cards, then any 1080p LED monitor will be fine -- I have one with 23", and another 42", but I think 24" is the standards now.

    Yes, 850W will be just fine for SLI/CF configuration, with enough room for overclock -- just make sure you get one of a good brand like Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair.
  9. I have not run an AMD GPU since the 6950 came out and I found the drivers to be lacking given my set-up at the time.
    Since my rebuild I have used the EVGA 670SC 4 gig and find that it runs cooler and is not quite as long as the 7970.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125449 4 Gig 670 with great cooling solution.
    Or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439 Go for the GZH edition also with great cooling.
    The 7970 comes with a load of games to play barter or sell.
  10. giltyler said:
    I have not run an AMD GPU since the 6950 came out and I found the drivers to be lacking given my set-up at the time.
    Since my rebuild I have used the EVGA 670SC 4 gig and find that it runs cooler and is not quite as long as the 7970.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125449 4 Gig 670 with great cooling solution.
    Or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439 Go for the GZH edition also with great cooling.
    The 7970 comes with a load of games to play barter or sell.


    I honestly don't know what to pick =\
  11. jemm said:
    As you´re getting such a fancy Graphic Cards, then any 1080p LED monitor will be fine -- I have one with 23", and another 42", but I think 24" is the standards now.

    Yes, 850W will be just fine for SLI/CF configuration, with enough room for overclock -- just make sure you get one of a good brand like Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair.


    I am getting a xfx power supply p-p
  12. Crossfire will be overkill for a 1080p monitor as others have said. You will really only need it if you go to 4K resolution of eyefinity.

    Also, keep in mind that AMD has issues with crossfire at the moment where there is a noticeable amount of stuttering when you crossfire cards. SLI is a more stable arrangement from this perspective.

    Verdict: 1x 7970.
  13. For your reference only "Best Graphics Cards For The Money: April 2013" http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
  14. jemm said:
    For your reference only "Best Graphics Cards For The Money: April 2013" http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html


    Thanks might get the 7970 :D but do you think cross fire will ever be fixed of micro stutter?
  15. Tell us about other parts in the build and mabee there will be a more clear answer as to the best solution.
  16. Best answer
    Yes, until a CF be necessary, certainly it will be fixed by AMD.
  17. giltyler said:
    Tell us about other parts in the build and mabee there will be a more clear answer as to the best solution.


    My Build is:
    CPU: i7-3770k (going to OC)
    Mobo:AsRock Z77 Extreme4
    GPU:IDK
    RAM:G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb 1866 (4x4)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler master evo 212
    3x seagate green 7200 RPM
    2x Samsung 840 Pro
  18. The HD 7970 will balance your system for sure! :)
  19. A nice build with plenty of CPU power so either card will do fine for all current games out right now.
    If a multi GPU is what you want I would get a GTX670 4 Gig since when you add a 2nd card you are still bound by the amount of ram on a single card. Some games look much better with PhysX
  20. giltyler said:
    A nice build with plenty of CPU power so either card will do fine for all current games out right now.
    If a multi GPU is what you want I would get a GTX670 4 Gig since when you add a 2nd card you are still bound by the amount of ram on a single card. Some games look much better with PhysX


    The choice for me is getting harder :(
  21. jemm said:
    The HD 7970 will balance your system for sure! :)


    People keep saying the amd 7970 is horrible Dx
  22. jemm said:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970: Promising Performance, Paper-Launched http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benchmark-tahiti-gcn,3104.html


    Awesome thanks man now i know what to pick Thank you so much <3!
  23. jemm said:
    As you´re getting such a fancy Graphic Cards, then any 1080p LED monitor will be fine -- I have one with 23", and another 42", but I think 24" is the standards now.

    Yes, 850W will be just fine for SLI/CF configuration, with enough room for overclock -- just make sure you get one of a good brand like Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair.


    Do you know any good brands and models?I know Asus,BenQ,Dell, and Acer!
  24. These are good ones -- Samsung and LG are good monitors too. Get a widescreen LED backlight LCD monitor, with less response time possible.
  25. jemm said:
    These are good ones -- Samsung and LG are good monitors too. Get a widescreen LED backlight LCD monitor, with less response time possible.


    I see Asus VG248QE is a good monitor like you suggested it is the worlds fastest monitor :O I'm still more confused to pick which graphics cad because the MSi gtx 670 OC PE is a good gpu while the 7970 is also good but i don't know what to pick :(
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors Power Supplies Graphics