Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help in selecting a graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 20, 2013 10:04:14 AM

Hello, I have purchased this Dell computer: http://www.microcenter.com/product/407265/Inspiron_660_...
I don't really need a high end graphics card that plays games on max settings or anything, I just want something better than my Intel HD Graphics 2500.
My computer does indeed have a 300 Watt PSU right now, I don't really want to upgrade this either.
I was looking around previously and some people recommended an nVIDIA GeForce GT 620 or an AMD Radeon HD 7570, but I was just wondering what you guys would think. Thanks in advance :) 
April 20, 2013 10:52:30 AM

teromin said:
Hello, I have purchased this Dell computer: http://www.microcenter.com/product/407265/Inspiron_660_...
I don't really need a high end graphics card that plays games on max settings or anything, I just want something better than my Intel HD Graphics 2500.
My computer does indeed have a 300 Watt PSU right now, I don't really want to upgrade this either.
I was looking around previously and some people recommended an nVIDIA GeForce GT 620 or an AMD Radeon HD 7570, but I was just wondering what you guys would think. Thanks in advance :) 


Looking at the motherboard....... I'ts going to be a tight fit. I'll look at some good cards, but looking at it, if your going to put a GPU in that, even a very low power one, you'll need to upgrade the PSU.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2013 11:21:20 AM

Dont really know for this mobo but if its got pci-e than you should be fine with 7750 without OCing.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 20, 2013 11:30:06 AM

tadej petric said:
Dont really know for this mobo but if its got pci-e than you should be fine with 7750 without OCing.


The main problem is the size of it. The fan is right up and next to the slot, the ram in almost directly behind the slot so most AMD cards wont be small enough, and the Audio jack box is almost in line with the slot so if the card is too wide, the fan and audio box will prevent it from going in.

Here's some good cards:

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB $120

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB $160

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660 2GB $200

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB $260

The Ti cards just have some more power and usually works better than the original. And they are a little more safer to overclock. Also it would be better to go with the 2GB over the 1GB because 1 GB of VRAM is good, but the 2GB will allow the card to have more room to work, stay cooler, and process things a little smoother.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2013 12:11:38 PM

GOM3RPLY3R said:
tadej petric said:
Dont really know for this mobo but if its got pci-e than you should be fine with 7750 without OCing.


The main problem is the size of it. The fan is right up and next to the slot, the ram in almost directly behind the slot so most AMD cards wont be small enough, and the Audio jack box is almost in line with the slot so if the card is too wide, the fan and audio box will prevent it from going in.

Here's some good cards:

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB $120

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB $160

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660 2GB $200

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB $260

The Ti cards just have some more power and usually works better than the original. And they are a little more safer to overclock. Also it would be better to go with the 2GB over the 1GB because 1 GB of VRAM is good, but the 2GB will allow the card to have more room to work, stay cooler, and process things a little smoother.


Good luck with 660 and 660ti and that PSU! Or maybe you would need a miracle. Even 650ti would be hard to run.

Ti can OC the same as their non ti cards.

2Gb card is the same temp as 1Gb version. And not many games get past 1Gb mark. Only heavy modded Skyrim and Crysis 3 at highest settings break 1Gb point (as far as I know (there are more but I dont know them)) (1080p resolution).
m
0
l
April 20, 2013 1:49:04 PM

tadej petric said:
GOM3RPLY3R said:
tadej petric said:
Dont really know for this mobo but if its got pci-e than you should be fine with 7750 without OCing.


The main problem is the size of it. The fan is right up and next to the slot, the ram in almost directly behind the slot so most AMD cards wont be small enough, and the Audio jack box is almost in line with the slot so if the card is too wide, the fan and audio box will prevent it from going in.

Here's some good cards:

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB $120

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB $160

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660 2GB $200

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB $260

The Ti cards just have some more power and usually works better than the original. And they are a little more safer to overclock. Also it would be better to go with the 2GB over the 1GB because 1 GB of VRAM is good, but the 2GB will allow the card to have more room to work, stay cooler, and process things a little smoother.


Good luck with 660 and 660ti and that PSU! Or maybe you would need a miracle. Even 650ti would be hard to run.

Ti can OC the same as their non ti cards.

2Gb card is the same temp as 1Gb version. And not many games get past 1Gb mark. Only heavy modded Skyrim and Crysis 3 at highest settings break 1Gb point (as far as I know (there are more but I dont know them)) (1080p resolution).


It's always better to have more of a future proof computer if you can. And yes your right can OC the same, but its just safer on the Ti cards. I meant to add in the PSU problem because my post got completely deleted before I originally was going to post. But yes, you'll need a 450Watt PSU minimum to run these. I'd recommend a 550 in case of any other upgrades and/or OCing.
m
0
l
April 20, 2013 2:27:58 PM

Hmm well... These seem very much high-end for my purposes, I really just want to play games like Minecraft and League of Legends with 60 fps on a 1920 x 1080 screen resolution, which I am currently not able to do. Might you have any recommendations for me?
m
0
l
April 20, 2013 8:15:48 PM

teromin said:
Hmm well... These seem very much high-end for my purposes, I really just want to play games like Minecraft and League of Legends with 60 fps on a 1920 x 1080 screen resolution, which I am currently not able to do. Might you have any recommendations for me?


Well I mean MineCraft running at 60FPS would need something like this... But League of Legends can probably run about 150 on these at max settings, then you can set a frame limit for it.
m
0
l
April 20, 2013 8:31:54 PM

I went on AMDs website and found a "calculator" so to speak that suggests cards based on what your doing. The two cards it recommended that could fit in your PC are these:

AMD Radeon™ HD 6670 $75

AMD Radeon™ HD 7750 1GB $90 or 2GB $90

The 2GB would still be the better choice, and these are about on par with the Nvidias I showed you. The 2GB for some reason, the base price is $5 more however, there is a 'permenant' instant savings which bumps it up to $100. But the 1GB card, once that rebate comes off, it'll be $110. Which ever one you want. I think the 7750 2GB would be your best bet.
m
3
l
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2013 11:12:08 AM

GOM3RPLY3R said:
I went on AMDs website and found a "calculator" so to speak that suggests cards based on what your doing..


Can you please provide the link to this "calculator"?

When comparing 2 GB and 1 GB also pay attention to DDR type - 1 GB DDR5 is much faster than 2GB DDR3, but 2GB DDR3 would provide ability to use very high resolutions. If game performance/speed is more important, than choose 1GB DDR5!
m
0
l
!