670 sli lagging windows

itsreal88

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Just bought another 670 for gaming but after installing it, windows would start to lag when watching a youtube video. The lag only stops after a restart. The same thing happens when I launch a game, it would run for 5 mins but would lag hard after that.

The issue goes away if I just keep 1 gpu inside. I tested both gpus alone so the new gpu is not the problem. I tried reinstalling the nvidia driver, installing the beta version, but still it persists.

specs:
windows 8 64 bit
asus p8z77-Vdeluxe
16 gb DDR3 ram
intel core i7 3770K
x2 nvidia evga 670 GTX
one monitor

Airm3n-1292454

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Honesty the only thing I could think of seeing that you have already seen that the gpu's work fine alone would be the psu. That being said I am running the exact same psu currently but its possible it just might be too much for the two gpu's. I still think you should be ok though. Reading this page :
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_670_review,8.html

they say "GeForce GTX 670 SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit as minimum."

If you had another power supply to test out I would recommend that or even get your psu tested at a computer shop although sometimes its hard to find someone who actually tests it properly and doesn't just plug it into a spare motherboard and says it looks good. Do you have any overclocks done on the cards or on the cpu currently? Perhaps reverting to factory defaults if so and then test again. Other than that I'm kinda stumped on what else to try seeing that your issue disappears with only 1 card in and both work fine alone.

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished

Hi.
I think is driver issue.
Check you driver ver. again - i see on NVIDIA site the final release is Version 314.22
You can check the release notes for any related problem
About the game performance :
SLI mode can be optimized for every game - and you can manual edit the profile
You can try usin tools on the site - http://www.geforce.com/optimize
You can check this post here - http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?27718-GTX-670-SLI-Problem/page2
Win 8 is kind of strange Power Management .... my laptop for example never got Max CPU Mhz with Win 8 and i run nice on WIn 7 ....
If you are Gamer i advise you to roll back to Win 7.

itsreal88

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Thanks for that link it seems this guy has the exact same problem, the game would crash the same way as him and the driver would randomly stop working, i will try changing the power management profile and report back.

Also my cards are the exact same and I haven't overclocked. The driver I installed (and reinstalled many times) is ver 314.22

itsreal88

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
I set the power management to high performance and the one in the nvidia control panel to "prefer maximum performance" but the lag and crashes are still occurring. The game would start to lag after 5 mins for 3 secs every 4 secs, which would carry into windows after I quit. The driver also randomly crashed and windows restarted on its own while watching a youtube vid.

It seems downgrading windows is the only remaining option...