Sign in with
Your question
Solved

how would a 7870 work with 3 gaming monitors?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 21, 2013 5:00:41 AM

for example, in bf3.
What settings would it take to hold 40fps?
THANKS!
a b C Monitor
April 21, 2013 5:14:31 AM

At 5760x1080 you'd have to go Medium or Low and no AA to hope to sustain 30+ FPS. I wouldn't do Eyefinity even with a single HD 7970. The lowest setup I'd use would be 2x HD 7870 in Crossfire. Use that for reference.

And yes, I do have actual experience with both Crossfire and Eyefinity...
m
l
a b C Monitor
April 21, 2013 5:16:39 AM

You'd have to go down pretty low to hold 40fps in bf3, assuming you're in 1080p screens? I run eyefinity (3x1200p) on one 7950 with a mild OC. It's surprisingly adept at console ports, I played through Mass Effect 3 and Deus Ex with high to very high settings and 50fps+ throughout. Batman Arkham City on the other hand gave me 20-24fps until I dialed things down hard or dropped to one screen.
Your 7870 gives up a chunk of memory bandwidth which actually matters at high res too. I think any AA at that resolution will bring the card to its knees.
Still, Anandtech's Bench has a single 7870 managing 40 FPS in BF3 at 2560x1600 (4 megapixels) with ultra detail and high FXAA. 3x1080p is about 6 megapixels, so you might not need to drop too far to keep a decent framerate.
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
April 21, 2013 5:20:04 AM

It's perhaps worth mentioning too that BF3 still looks pretty good even at low detail. I know my pride always takes a hit when I have to select lower detail settings, but in the end of the day, I'd play the game on medium or low with Eyefinity over single screen at high-ultra if those were my two options!
m
l
a b C Monitor
April 21, 2013 5:26:34 AM

rhysiam said:
You'd have to go down pretty low to hold 40fps in bf3, assuming you're in 1080p screens? I run eyefinity (3x1200p) on one 7950 with a mild OC. It's surprisingly adept at console ports, I played through Mass Effect 3 and Deus Ex with high to very high settings and 50fps+ throughout. Batman Arkham City on the other hand gave me 20-24fps until I dialed things down hard or dropped to one screen.
Your 7870 gives up a chunk of memory bandwidth which actually matters at high res too. I think any AA at that resolution will bring the card to its knees.
Still, Anandtech's Bench has a single 7870 managing 40 FPS in BF3 at 2560x1600 (4 megapixels) with ultra detail and high FXAA. 3x1080p is about 6 megapixels, so you might not need to drop too far to keep a decent framerate.

The number of games that get playable framerates is in no way connected to console porting. The games that ran well in Eyefinity with a single card usually either had very low system requirements and or were partnered with AMD to specifically showcase the Eyefinity tech; Deus Ex: HR, Dirt, HAWX etc.

m
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
April 21, 2013 5:32:45 AM

I did find this on http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Club_3D/HD_7870_joke.... I assume that the game is maxed out as the review doesn't specifically state otherwise. This is average FPS mind you, the minimum FPS is not mentioned.

a b C Monitor
April 21, 2013 5:36:10 AM

I don't agree with you that it's in 'no way connected'... I suppose what I was getting at was games built primarily for console and then ported to PC with minimal effort... Like Mass Effect 3. These games are not demanding with a half decent PC because they were build for painfully old consoles. Devs haven't spent time and money utilising extra resources on PC Hardware or adding DX11 features. There is a connection.
You're right though that it's not really the 'console port' bit that matters. It's how demanding the game is. I suppose I was referring to lazy/simple console ports but didn't make that clear.
m
l
April 21, 2013 6:13:02 AM

hizodge said:
I did find this on http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Club_3D/HD_7870_joke.... I assume that the game is maxed out as the review doesn't specifically state otherwise. This is average FPS mind you, the minimum FPS is not mentioned.

their joker card was the first 7870XT card. it isn't a normal 7870, but a crippled 7950.
it even says Tahiti LE at the top of the page in bold print.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
April 21, 2013 6:34:01 AM

Well I run a FX-8120 with a Crossfire Sapphire HD 7950 a FX-8350 with a Crossfire Sapphire HD 7970 both using a Eyefinity 27" setup for 3x 1080p so 5760x1080 and for me the minimum I would run would be the Crossfire HD 7950 but with that setup I get average 60fps on my Eyefinity with max settings. I could not imagine gaming on a single monitor again after two years of Eyefinity/Surround gaming it is just not the same. Plus the investment of 9 Asus 27" monitors(3 rigs running 3 27" monitors). But I planned the monitors into the build when I did them so it was not a surprise and at the end of the day there are worst hobby's I could be spending my money on.

Now if I could find triple monitor stands that could handle 3 27" monitors that would not break the bank!

m
l
!