Solved

XFX Radeon HD6870 Fan Replacement Options?

Hey guys,

I have a XFX Radeon HD6870 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150561 ) with a stuck fan. It has been spinning intermittently but now is completely locked up. I have tried doing research into replacing just the fan but am stuck.

Has anyone else had this issue? I am trying to find a correctly sized fan ( i think its 70mm?) and cant find any resources to help me find a replacement.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about xfx radeon hd6870 fan replacement options
  1. get a new gpu :p
  2. Just buy an aftermarket cooler, expect to pay $40-60 easy for a decent cooler but the good news that they are very easy to install.
  3. Solved.

    took the fan out and looked at the actual markings, found the same one on ebay. Thanks.
  4. shadowslap said:
    Solved.

    took the fan out and looked at the actual markings, found the same one on ebay. Thanks.


    Hey, I'm having a problem with the fan on my 6870 too, would it be possible for you to send me the link to the ebay item that you bought? Or could you at least tell me how much the replacement fan cost you?

    Thanks, Mike.
  5. Best answer
    eMike said:
    shadowslap said:
    Solved.

    took the fan out and looked at the actual markings, found the same one on ebay. Thanks.


    Hey, I'm having a problem with the fan on my 6870 too, would it be possible for you to send me the link to the ebay item that you bought? Or could you at least tell me how much the replacement fan cost you?

    Thanks, Mike.


    Mike,

    Here is the picture I used to google img search for this fan in particular http://imgur.com/yFGpCoj . It matches the orignial in all aspects except color (original is black).

    I ended up waiting to purchase the ebay fan due to the fact that the shipper was in China and I did not want to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery. I ended up calling XFX the Monday after I posted and they were more than helpful. They sent me a new fan at no charge, as well as some instructions for replacing the fan. It got to me before the end of the week.

    I replaced the fan and cleaned/reapplied thermal paste and the fan has worked like a champ since. Good luck.
  6. shadowslap said:
    eMike said:
    shadowslap said:
    Solved.

    took the fan out and looked at the actual markings, found the same one on ebay. Thanks.


    Hey, I'm having a problem with the fan on my 6870 too, would it be possible for you to send me the link to the ebay item that you bought? Or could you at least tell me how much the replacement fan cost you?

    Thanks, Mike.


    Mike,

    Here is the picture I used to google img search for this fan in particular http://imgur.com/yFGpCoj . It matches the orignial in all aspects except color (original is black).

    I ended up waiting to purchase the ebay fan due to the fact that the shipper was in China and I did not want to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery. I ended up calling XFX the Monday after I posted and they were more than helpful. They sent me a new fan at no charge, as well as some instructions for replacing the fan. It got to me before the end of the week.

    I replaced the fan and cleaned/reapplied thermal paste and the fan has worked like a champ since. Good luck.


    Hi, I'm having the exact same problem except that my fan has not yet seized completely. It stops intermittently. I was wondering if you could explain how to go about taking the GPU apart to replace the fan and also reapply the thermal paste as I intend on doing so very soon. If you could reply, I'd appreciate it.
  7. I just ordered replacement fan, the exact one, i pulled my out and measured just in case, 75mm, hole distance 39mm, 0.5A. This is the cheapes i could find, on ebay they are 18-20$, while other 75mm fans cost around 1-2$, but found only 42mm holes distance and 0,1A, so i said screw it and threw 16$ for a silly little fan... Just ordered whole cooling blower for hp 530 laptop, only 6$, and this shit 3x more

    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Firstd-FD8015U12S-DC-BRUSHLESS-FAN-12V-0-5A-75mm-39x39x39mm-Graphics-Video-Card-Fan/32223556908.html
  8. Hey shadow... I know im a bit late but Dumb question Did you register the card on XFX website when you first bought it? If you did it was a Lifetime war. on that card and they would have replaced it for you. I am on my 2nd Free replacement started out with a 5670 they replaced with a 6850 and then the last was a 6870 black. all the new xfx cards except the water cooled one have liftime and they are REALLY good to deal with.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Fan GPU Fan Graphics