Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

The witcher 2 Fps probelms?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 21, 2013 5:47:37 PM

I am having a really strange problem in flotsam for the witcher 2


specs:

gtx 680 2gb

8gb ddr3 RAM

amd phenom 2 1090T @ 3.8 GHZ

The game runs great, but in certain areas i have FPS drops when looking in a certain direction it is VERY annoying.

Examples...

http://postimg.org/image/altz6kbiv/


http://postimg.org/image/ifba68rxd/

This is really bad as you can see and it is getting in the way of me playing the game as I am unable to pan the camera around.

Can anyone help?

More about : witcher fps probelms

April 21, 2013 6:14:30 PM

Did you turn on UberSampling? That is a very demanding setting.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 21, 2013 6:29:31 PM

miki_x1 said:
Did you turn on UberSampling? That is a very demanding setting.


bigcyco1 said:
The Witcher 2, an extremely demanding game in part because it tries to do too much with DirectX 9, an older graphics interface. I also think your cpu is to weak for a GTX 680.Try this http://www.geforce.com/optimize/guides/witcher-2-tweak-...


my amd phenom II x6 1090T @ 3.8 ghz is too weak? Fo rizzles?

And yeah I already went through all of that. All my other games play great idk why I'm only having problems with the witcher 2.

Keep in mind this problem only happens in this specific area of the map. When I'm in the forest fighting shit tons of baddies my fps is around 45 - 60

Also I have the latest drivers and I have my game completely updated.

I have everything maxed except for Ubsersampling.

I really dont understand why my fps in tanking when looking at a damn tree. I mean I fought a giant ass kraken thing and my fps was over 45 the entire time, but apparently a tree is too much to handle.

I think theres something wrong with the game, honestly. I already tried reinstalling and all that and it didnt work.


KEEP IN MIND:

this problem happens even on the LOWEST settings. For whatever reason in this specific area of the game (The little path leading upwards towards the roses of remembrance/kyran)

And only when i look in that specific direction

its driving me CRAZY
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 21, 2013 7:32:54 PM

If this happens even on the lowest setting, its either a straight up bug, or your CPU is bottlenecking. The Witcher 2 does have a lot of spots that have issues, so if other games are ok, I wouldn't worry about it.
m
0
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 21, 2013 7:49:29 PM

I agree with bystander
m
0
l
April 21, 2013 8:08:03 PM

bystander said:
If this happens even on the lowest setting, its either a straight up bug, or your CPU is bottlenecking. The Witcher 2 does have a lot of spots that have issues, so if other games are ok, I wouldn't worry about it.


Is my cpu that bad? and I'll try to get passed that section and keep you updated?
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 21, 2013 9:25:49 PM

daggy said:
bystander said:
If this happens even on the lowest setting, its either a straight up bug, or your CPU is bottlenecking. The Witcher 2 does have a lot of spots that have issues, so if other games are ok, I wouldn't worry about it.


Is my cpu that bad? and I'll try to get passed that section and keep you updated?


It's not that good, at least in raw speed per core. The Witcher 2 is not free of problems either.
m
0
l
April 22, 2013 9:20:38 AM

bystander said:
daggy said:
bystander said:
If this happens even on the lowest setting, its either a straight up bug, or your CPU is bottlenecking. The Witcher 2 does have a lot of spots that have issues, so if other games are ok, I wouldn't worry about it.


Is my cpu that bad? and I'll try to get passed that section and keep you updated?


It's not that good, at least in raw speed per core. The Witcher 2 is not free of problems either.

What cpu would u reccomend me buying?
m
0
l
April 22, 2013 4:08:00 PM

Ok I don't know what to do anymore...I got passed that mission and during the eternal battle when I look at the castle my fps plummets to 10fps. But when I'm in a huge fight with a bunch of baddies my fps is at 60. What the fuck is wrong with the game??

Does anyone know how to fix this because otherwise I'm going uninstall this game and never play it again. That is total bullshit. my rig is more than capable of running this and the only thing holding me back is shit coding
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 22, 2013 4:29:16 PM

Have you updated with the latest patches? What AA level do you use? And who cares if looking at the castle drops FPS if you don't have to fight. There is only a couple times your FPS will drop in the game, and you may have found them. The prologue is the primary bad spot, there isn't many issues past that, though it isn't perfect either. Though 10 FPS is pretty bad, with an i7 920 I never got below 30 FPS, even at the highest settings. Only Ubersampling drops it to 20-30, but lowering settings helps a lot.

The last thing you should probably do is monitor your CPU and GPU temps, perhaps you are getting throttled due to temps.
m
0
l
April 22, 2013 5:57:28 PM

bystander said:
Have you updated with the latest patches? What AA level do you use? And who cares if looking at the castle drops FPS if you don't have to fight. There is only a couple times your FPS will drop in the game, and you may have found them. The prologue is the primary bad spot, there isn't many issues past that, though it isn't perfect either. Though 10 FPS is pretty bad, with an i7 920 I never got below 30 FPS, even at the highest settings. Only Ubersampling drops it to 20-30, but lowering settings helps a lot.

The last thing you should probably do is monitor your CPU and GPU temps, perhaps you are getting throttled due to temps.


My temps are all fine I always monitor those. This type of thing never happens in any other game.

I had no lag in the prologue. And its not like something happens where its obvious why my framerate would drop.

I'm talking about fighting baddies in the ghost battle @ 60fps but whenever I tilt my camera near the castle my fps plummets to 10fps and stays there until I pan my camera a different direction. It's total bullshit.


m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 22, 2013 6:32:14 PM

It's your loss if you quit now. That fight was definitely an issue for me too, though I didn't pin point what caused it. I finished the battle and never went back.
m
0
l
April 22, 2013 6:58:51 PM

bystander said:
It's your loss if you quit now. That fight was definitely an issue for me too, though I didn't pin point what caused it. I finished the battle and never went back.


bystander said:
You might want to look here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1658305/gpu-bott...

The person has had the same drops you have and has almost the same CPU. It would seem the problem is the CPU.


I'm reinstalling the whole game now. I'll keep you guys updated.

I think that this is a game bug, but a better processor would def help the situation. What would you recommend me buying?

It kind of sucks that this is the ONE game where this problem happens. Why can't it be something else like CoD :p 
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 22, 2013 7:52:57 PM

Any of the latest i5 would work, with a K at the end so you can OC it. If you do things that use hyperthreading, an i7 would work too.
m
0
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 22, 2013 10:16:36 PM


Run Afterburner and check your GPU usage. If you are running at 99% GPU usage in that particular game, then you have no bottleneck. If you are running at less than 99% GPU usage, particularly if its closer to 50% or less in that particular game, then you have a CPU bottleneck.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 2:11:08 PM

bystander said:
Any of the latest i5 would work, with a K at the end so you can OC it. If you do things that use hyperthreading, an i7 would work too.


bigcyco1 said:

Run Afterburner and check your GPU usage. If you are running at 99% GPU usage in that particular game, then you have no bottleneck. If you are running at less than 99% GPU usage, particularly if its closer to 50% or less in that particular game, then you have a CPU bottleneck.


I don't think it has anything to do with that...

observe

http://postimg.org/image/rwp99kayf/

looking this direction

http://postimg.org/image/gmp0ikzjv/

looking another direction. same area, same shit going on. what the fuck.

more...

http://postimg.org/image/w0qjyvuyp/

fighting baddies

http://postimg.org/image/5vtzmwsw7/

LOOKING AT A FUCKING ROCK.

apparently the action of looking at a rock drops my fps by 20, but fighting loads of people is OK


again, it all depends on the direction I'm facing.
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 24, 2013 2:14:28 PM

daggy said:
bystander said:
Any of the latest i5 would work, with a K at the end so you can OC it. If you do things that use hyperthreading, an i7 would work too.


bigcyco1 said:

Run Afterburner and check your GPU usage. If you are running at 99% GPU usage in that particular game, then you have no bottleneck. If you are running at less than 99% GPU usage, particularly if its closer to 50% or less in that particular game, then you have a CPU bottleneck.


I don't think it has anything to do with that...

observe

http://postimg.org/image/rwp99kayf/

looking this direction

http://postimg.org/image/gmp0ikzjv/

looking another direction. same area, same shit going on. what the fuck.

more...

http://postimg.org/image/w0qjyvuyp/

fighting baddies

http://postimg.org/image/5vtzmwsw7/

LOOKING AT A FUCKING ROCK.

apparently the action of looking at a rock drops my fps by 20, but fighting loads of people is OK


Well, go ahead, complain and ignore that others have had the same issue with the same CPU, which went away with an upgrade to an Intel setup. AMD's CPUs have problems with some games. I don't know if it is the architecture or drivers, or what, but they do.

Look at your GPU usage during the time those FPS drop, if their usage drops, that is definitely a huge red flag that your CPU is causing issues.

If you just want to blame the game, feel free. It is your loss, not mine.

Note: it may not be worth upgrading your CPU for one game, but remember these issues the next time you upgrade your CPU.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 2:36:41 PM

bystander said:
daggy said:
bystander said:
Any of the latest i5 would work, with a K at the end so you can OC it. If you do things that use hyperthreading, an i7 would work too.


bigcyco1 said:

Run Afterburner and check your GPU usage. If you are running at 99% GPU usage in that particular game, then you have no bottleneck. If you are running at less than 99% GPU usage, particularly if its closer to 50% or less in that particular game, then you have a CPU bottleneck.


I don't think it has anything to do with that...

observe

http://postimg.org/image/rwp99kayf/

looking this direction

http://postimg.org/image/gmp0ikzjv/

looking another direction. same area, same shit going on. what the fuck.

more...

http://postimg.org/image/w0qjyvuyp/

fighting baddies

http://postimg.org/image/5vtzmwsw7/

LOOKING AT A FUCKING ROCK.

apparently the action of looking at a rock drops my fps by 20, but fighting loads of people is OK


Well, go ahead, complain and ignore that others have had the same issue with the same CPU, which went away with an upgrade to an Intel setup. AMD's CPUs have problems with some games. I don't know if it is the architecture or drivers, or what, but they do.

Look at your GPU usage during the time those FPS drop, if their usage drops, that is definitely a huge red flag that your CPU is causing issues.

If you just want to blame the game, feel free. It is your loss, not mine.

Note: it may not be worth upgrading your CPU for one game, but remember these issues the next time you upgrade your CPU.


OK my gpu usage is 50% when the fps drops arent occurring, but then it drops to 32% when the fps drops are occurring.

This never happens in any of my other games. Is it a problem with AMD processors and the witcher 2 then?
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 24, 2013 2:43:33 PM

daggy said:
OK my gpu usage is 50% when the fps drops arent occurring, but then it drops to 32% when the fps drops are occurring.

This never happens in any of my other games. Is it a problem with AMD processors and the witcher 2 then?


This clearly shows a CPU bottleneck. It is actually a continuous bottleneck, as you normally are at 50%. If you disabled crossfire, you'd likely have slightly better performance in that game as crossfire requires a bit more CPU overhead.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 2:47:42 PM

bystander said:
daggy said:
OK my gpu usage is 50% when the fps drops arent occurring, but then it drops to 32% when the fps drops are occurring.

This never happens in any of my other games. Is it a problem with AMD processors and the witcher 2 then?


This clearly shows a CPU bottleneck. It is actually a continuous bottleneck, as you normally are at 50%. If you disabled crossfire, you'd likely have slightly better performance in that game as crossfire requires a bit more CPU overhead.


I'm only running one nvidia gpu so i dont think its a crossfire issue, unless it could be enabled even when i have one gpu. lol idk.

what would you recommend doing at this point? buying a new cpu?
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 24, 2013 2:53:17 PM

daggy said:
bystander said:
daggy said:
OK my gpu usage is 50% when the fps drops arent occurring, but then it drops to 32% when the fps drops are occurring.

This never happens in any of my other games. Is it a problem with AMD processors and the witcher 2 then?


This clearly shows a CPU bottleneck. It is actually a continuous bottleneck, as you normally are at 50%. If you disabled crossfire, you'd likely have slightly better performance in that game as crossfire requires a bit more CPU overhead.


I'm only running one nvidia gpu so i dont think its a crossfire issue, unless it could be enabled even when i have one gpu. lol idk.

what would you recommend doing at this point? buying a new cpu?

Sorry, I think I got confused with the other post with the problem.

Well, that one is up to how important this game is to you and if you want better performance in other games too. It is possible there is a specific setting that stresses the CPU, but I think you said you tried it even at low settings with the same issue.

So that leaves you with 2 options; upgrade the CPU to an Intel platform, or live with it for this game. I am wanting to upgrade too, but my i7 920 is still doing pretty well, though I know there are times I'm being held back a little.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 2:59:01 PM

bystander said:
daggy said:
bystander said:
daggy said:
OK my gpu usage is 50% when the fps drops arent occurring, but then it drops to 32% when the fps drops are occurring.

This never happens in any of my other games. Is it a problem with AMD processors and the witcher 2 then?


This clearly shows a CPU bottleneck. It is actually a continuous bottleneck, as you normally are at 50%. If you disabled crossfire, you'd likely have slightly better performance in that game as crossfire requires a bit more CPU overhead.


I'm only running one nvidia gpu so i dont think its a crossfire issue, unless it could be enabled even when i have one gpu. lol idk.

what would you recommend doing at this point? buying a new cpu?

Sorry, I think I got confused with the other post with the problem.

Well, that one is up to how important this game is to you and if you want better performance in other games too. It is possible there is a specific setting that stresses the CPU, but I think you said you tried it even at low settings with the same issue.

So that leaves you with 2 options; upgrade the CPU to an Intel platform, or live with it for this game. I am wanting to upgrade too, but my i7 920 is still doing pretty well, though I know there are times I'm being held back a little.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

would this be a good cpu? :p 
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 24, 2013 3:02:15 PM

It is a very popular choice, and as you see, it has 5 egg review average. It would do better than what you have. A lot better.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 3:04:38 PM

bystander said:
daggy said:
bystander said:
daggy said:
OK my gpu usage is 50% when the fps drops arent occurring, but then it drops to 32% when the fps drops are occurring.

This never happens in any of my other games. Is it a problem with AMD processors and the witcher 2 then?


This clearly shows a CPU bottleneck. It is actually a continuous bottleneck, as you normally are at 50%. If you disabled crossfire, you'd likely have slightly better performance in that game as crossfire requires a bit more CPU overhead.


I'm only running one nvidia gpu so i dont think its a crossfire issue, unless it could be enabled even when i have one gpu. lol idk.

what would you recommend doing at this point? buying a new cpu?

Sorry, I think I got confused with the other post with the problem.

Well, that one is up to how important this game is to you and if you want better performance in other games too. It is possible there is a specific setting that stresses the CPU, but I think you said you tried it even at low settings with the same issue.

So that leaves you with 2 options; upgrade the CPU to an Intel platform, or live with it for this game. I am wanting to upgrade too, but my i7 920 is still doing pretty well, though I know there are times I'm being held back a little.


Well...

fuck.

http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-990XA-UD3-990X-SATA-M...

my mobo doesnt support intel CPUs.

what do i do now?
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 3:05:39 PM

bystander said:
It is a very popular choice, and as you see, it has 5 egg review average. It would do better than what you have. A lot better.


Soo...basically im forever cursed with a cpu bottleneck because I cant use intel CPUS?

http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-990XA-UD3-990X-SATA-M...
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 24, 2013 3:07:45 PM

daggy said:
bystander said:
It is a very popular choice, and as you see, it has 5 egg review average. It would do better than what you have. A lot better.


Soo...basically im forever cursed with a cpu bottleneck because I cant use intel CPUS?

http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-990XA-UD3-990X-SATA-M...


AMD CPU's and Intel CPU's require motherboards to support them. If you were to change, you'd have to change the motherboard as well.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 3:09:36 PM

bystander said:
daggy said:
bystander said:
It is a very popular choice, and as you see, it has 5 egg review average. It would do better than what you have. A lot better.


Soo...basically im forever cursed with a cpu bottleneck because I cant use intel CPUS?

http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-990XA-UD3-990X-SATA-M...




AMD CPU's and Intel CPU's require motherboards to support them. If you were to change, you'd have to change the motherboard as well.



ok well is there any good amd CPU that i can get for my gtx 680?

m
0
l

Best solution

a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 24, 2013 3:15:51 PM

I don't know. I don't recommend AMD CPU's. I've never seen a CPU comparison that showed AMD favorably in the last few years. While they do ok in many games, there are always a few it falls flat. That too will likely require an upgrade on the motherboard as well.

I have seen the AMD FX-8350 do decent and it fits your motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The only problem is the Witcher 2 problem may be an AMD compatibility issues.
Share
a c 186 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 24, 2013 3:26:27 PM

daggy said:
bystander said:
daggy said:
bystander said:
Any of the latest i5 would work, with a K at the end so you can OC it. If you do things that use hyperthreading, an i7 would work too.


bigcyco1 said:

Run Afterburner and check your GPU usage. If you are running at 99% GPU usage in that particular game, then you have no bottleneck. If you are running at less than 99% GPU usage, particularly if its closer to 50% or less in that particular game, then you have a CPU bottleneck.


I don't think it has anything to do with that...

observe

http://postimg.org/image/rwp99kayf/

looking this direction

http://postimg.org/image/gmp0ikzjv/

looking another direction. same area, same shit going on. what the fuck.

more...

http://postimg.org/image/w0qjyvuyp/

fighting baddies

http://postimg.org/image/5vtzmwsw7/

LOOKING AT A FUCKING ROCK.

apparently the action of looking at a rock drops my fps by 20, but fighting loads of people is OK


Well, go ahead, complain and ignore that others have had the same issue with the same CPU, which went away with an upgrade to an Intel setup. AMD's CPUs have problems with some games. I don't know if it is the architecture or drivers, or what, but they do.

Look at your GPU usage during the time those FPS drop, if their usage drops, that is definitely a huge red flag that your CPU is causing issues.

If you just want to blame the game, feel free. It is your loss, not mine.

Note: it may not be worth upgrading your CPU for one game, but remember these issues the next time you upgrade your CPU.


OK my gpu usage is 50% when the fps drops arent occurring, but then it drops to 32% when the fps drops are occurring.

This never happens in any of my other games. Is it a problem with AMD processors and the witcher 2 then?
Bingo!Your cpu is the issue

m
0
l
April 25, 2013 12:35:57 PM

bigcyco1 said:
daggy said:
bystander said:
daggy said:
bystander said:
Any of the latest i5 would work, with a K at the end so you can OC it. If you do things that use hyperthreading, an i7 would work too.


bigcyco1 said:

Run Afterburner and check your GPU usage. If you are running at 99% GPU usage in that particular game, then you have no bottleneck. If you are running at less than 99% GPU usage, particularly if its closer to 50% or less in that particular game, then you have a CPU bottleneck.


I don't think it has anything to do with that...

observe

http://postimg.org/image/rwp99kayf/

looking this direction

http://postimg.org/image/gmp0ikzjv/

looking another direction. same area, same shit going on. what the fuck.

more...

http://postimg.org/image/w0qjyvuyp/

fighting baddies

http://postimg.org/image/5vtzmwsw7/

LOOKING AT A FUCKING ROCK.

apparently the action of looking at a rock drops my fps by 20, but fighting loads of people is OK


Well, go ahead, complain and ignore that others have had the same issue with the same CPU, which went away with an upgrade to an Intel setup. AMD's CPUs have problems with some games. I don't know if it is the architecture or drivers, or what, but they do.

Look at your GPU usage during the time those FPS drop, if their usage drops, that is definitely a huge red flag that your CPU is causing issues.

If you just want to blame the game, feel free. It is your loss, not mine.

Note: it may not be worth upgrading your CPU for one game, but remember these issues the next time you upgrade your CPU.


OK my gpu usage is 50% when the fps drops arent occurring, but then it drops to 32% when the fps drops are occurring.

This never happens in any of my other games. Is it a problem with AMD processors and the witcher 2 then?
Bingo!Your cpu is the issue




But why this only happens with the witcher 2 is still a mystery


WE NEED TO GO DEEPER


m
0
l
April 25, 2013 1:02:56 PM

I don't think it has a lot to do with your CPU... I play the witcher 2 too with a 7970 ghz. and a 3570K @3.4 and I also have these strange fps drops to about 40... It's the game, nothing to do about it...
m
0
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 25, 2013 1:07:11 PM

daggy said:
bigcyco1 said:
daggy said:
bystander said:
daggy said:
bystander said:
Any of the latest i5 would work, with a K at the end so you can OC it. If you do things that use hyperthreading, an i7 would work too.


bigcyco1 said:

Run Afterburner and check your GPU usage. If you are running at 99% GPU usage in that particular game, then you have no bottleneck. If you are running at less than 99% GPU usage, particularly if its closer to 50% or less in that particular game, then you have a CPU bottleneck.


I don't think it has anything to do with that...

observe

http://postimg.org/image/rwp99kayf/

looking this direction

http://postimg.org/image/gmp0ikzjv/

looking another direction. same area, same shit going on. what the fuck.

more...

http://postimg.org/image/w0qjyvuyp/

fighting baddies

http://postimg.org/image/5vtzmwsw7/

LOOKING AT A FUCKING ROCK.

apparently the action of looking at a rock drops my fps by 20, but fighting loads of people is OK


Well, go ahead, complain and ignore that others have had the same issue with the same CPU, which went away with an upgrade to an Intel setup. AMD's CPUs have problems with some games. I don't know if it is the architecture or drivers, or what, but they do.

Look at your GPU usage during the time those FPS drop, if their usage drops, that is definitely a huge red flag that your CPU is causing issues.

If you just want to blame the game, feel free. It is your loss, not mine.

Note: it may not be worth upgrading your CPU for one game, but remember these issues the next time you upgrade your CPU.


OK my gpu usage is 50% when the fps drops arent occurring, but then it drops to 32% when the fps drops are occurring.

This never happens in any of my other games. Is it a problem with AMD processors and the witcher 2 then?
Bingo!Your cpu is the issue




But why this only happens with the witcher 2 is still a mystery


WE NEED TO GO DEEPER


I told you what to do already it doesn't get any deeper.
Run Afterburner and check your GPU usage. If you are running at 99% GPU usage in that particular game, then you have no bottleneck. If you are running at less than 99% GPU usage, particularly if its closer to 50% or less in that particular game, then you have a CPU bottleneck.


m
0
l
April 25, 2013 1:08:18 PM

bigcyco1 said:
daggy said:
bigcyco1 said:
daggy said:
bystander said:
daggy said:
bystander said:
Any of the latest i5 would work, with a K at the end so you can OC it. If you do things that use hyperthreading, an i7 would work too.


bigcyco1 said:

Run Afterburner and check your GPU usage. If you are running at 99% GPU usage in that particular game, then you have no bottleneck. If you are running at less than 99% GPU usage, particularly if its closer to 50% or less in that particular game, then you have a CPU bottleneck.


I don't think it has anything to do with that...

observe

http://postimg.org/image/rwp99kayf/

looking this direction

http://postimg.org/image/gmp0ikzjv/

looking another direction. same area, same shit going on. what the fuck.

more...

http://postimg.org/image/w0qjyvuyp/

fighting baddies

http://postimg.org/image/5vtzmwsw7/

LOOKING AT A FUCKING ROCK.

apparently the action of looking at a rock drops my fps by 20, but fighting loads of people is OK


Well, go ahead, complain and ignore that others have had the same issue with the same CPU, which went away with an upgrade to an Intel setup. AMD's CPUs have problems with some games. I don't know if it is the architecture or drivers, or what, but they do.

Look at your GPU usage during the time those FPS drop, if their usage drops, that is definitely a huge red flag that your CPU is causing issues.

If you just want to blame the game, feel free. It is your loss, not mine.

Note: it may not be worth upgrading your CPU for one game, but remember these issues the next time you upgrade your CPU.


OK my gpu usage is 50% when the fps drops arent occurring, but then it drops to 32% when the fps drops are occurring.

This never happens in any of my other games. Is it a problem with AMD processors and the witcher 2 then?
Bingo!Your cpu is the issue




But why this only happens with the witcher 2 is still a mystery


WE NEED TO GO DEEPER


I told you what to do already it doesn't get any deeper.
Run Afterburner and check your GPU usage. If you are running at 99% GPU usage in that particular game, then you have no bottleneck. If you are running at less than 99% GPU usage, particularly if its closer to 50% or less in that particular game, then you have a CPU bottleneck.




Read my last post. It probably is the game...
m
0
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 25, 2013 1:11:03 PM

Littlebro said:
bigcyco1 said:
daggy said:
bigcyco1 said:
daggy said:
bystander said:
daggy said:
bystander said:
Any of the latest i5 would work, with a K at the end so you can OC it. If you do things that use hyperthreading, an i7 would work too.


bigcyco1 said:

Run Afterburner and check your GPU usage. If you are running at 99% GPU usage in that particular game, then you have no bottleneck. If you are running at less than 99% GPU usage, particularly if its closer to 50% or less in that particular game, then you have a CPU bottleneck.


I don't think it has anything to do with that...

observe

http://postimg.org/image/rwp99kayf/

looking this direction

http://postimg.org/image/gmp0ikzjv/

looking another direction. same area, same shit going on. what the fuck.

more...

http://postimg.org/image/w0qjyvuyp/

fighting baddies

http://postimg.org/image/5vtzmwsw7/

LOOKING AT A FUCKING ROCK.

apparently the action of looking at a rock drops my fps by 20, but fighting loads of people is OK


Well, go ahead, complain and ignore that others have had the same issue with the same CPU, which went away with an upgrade to an Intel setup. AMD's CPUs have problems with some games. I don't know if it is the architecture or drivers, or what, but they do.

Look at your GPU usage during the time those FPS drop, if their usage drops, that is definitely a huge red flag that your CPU is causing issues.

If you just want to blame the game, feel free. It is your loss, not mine.

Note: it may not be worth upgrading your CPU for one game, but remember these issues the next time you upgrade your CPU.


OK my gpu usage is 50% when the fps drops arent occurring, but then it drops to 32% when the fps drops are occurring.

This never happens in any of my other games. Is it a problem with AMD processors and the witcher 2 then?
Bingo!Your cpu is the issue




But why this only happens with the witcher 2 is still a mystery


WE NEED TO GO DEEPER


I told you what to do already it doesn't get any deeper.
Run Afterburner and check your GPU usage. If you are running at 99% GPU usage in that particular game, then you have no bottleneck. If you are running at less than 99% GPU usage, particularly if its closer to 50% or less in that particular game, then you have a CPU bottleneck.




Read my last post. It probably is the game...
Yes that might be it as well.

m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 25, 2013 1:14:58 PM

Littlebro said:
I don't think it has a lot to do with your CPU... I play the witcher 2 too with a 7970 ghz. and a 3570K @3.4 and I also have these strange fps drops to about 40... It's the game, nothing to do about it...


I also play the Witcher 2, and get FPS drops to the mid 40's, but he is talking about FPS drops to 10-15. That is extreme.
m
0
l
April 25, 2013 1:18:45 PM

Meh I don't know, I just think the game is acting weird sometimes and, especially with his somewhat lesser cpu, it might be the combobetween his cpu and the game that causes this low fps.
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 25, 2013 1:22:37 PM

Littlebro said:
Meh I don't know, I just think the game is acting weird sometimes and, especially with his somewhat lesser cpu, it might be the combobetween his cpu and the game that causes this low fps.


Well yeah. All bottlenecks are as such. The game stress a component and the component doesn't keep up, causing a bottleneck. It is possible there is some coding issues as well, one Intel doesn't suffer as much from.
m
0
l
April 25, 2013 1:26:12 PM

I have concluded it is the game being shit, since this problem is non existent in literally every game I play.
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 25, 2013 1:28:41 PM

daggy said:
I have concluded it is the game being shit, since this problem is non existent in literally every game I play.


You better knock on wood. Fast. That CPU is known to have problems in plenty of other games too. You just happen to not be playing them. When that CPU was newer, we used to always have at least one thread about it on the front page at all times, but with different games.

Note: this is probably one of the most extreme examples. Most were complaints about drops into the 20's and 30's.
m
0
l
April 25, 2013 1:45:55 PM

bystander said:
daggy said:
I have concluded it is the game being shit, since this problem is non existent in literally every game I play.


You better knock on wood. Fast. That CPU is known to have problems in plenty of other games too. You just happen to not be playing them. When that CPU was newer, we used to always have at least one thread about it on the front page at all times, but with different games.

Note: this is probably one of the most extreme examples. Most were complaints about drops into the 20's and 30's.


Well I guess I'll just have to wait until I can buy another CPU..


sucks though because my mobo is AMD only lol
m
0
l
!