Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Cheap Gaming Laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 21, 2013 6:50:56 PM

Hey Im looking for a cheap gaming laptop, under $600 dollars. I want to play FPS such as Bo2, BF3/BF4(when it comes out). I am open to all suggestions, preferably windows 8 OS! Thanks! :) 

More about : cheap gaming laptop

a b 4 Gaming
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2013 6:55:43 PM

You aren't going to find a laptop that can do that at that price point. It costs about $8-900 for the manufacturers to MAKE a laptop that can do gaming at all.
Score
0
April 21, 2013 6:57:46 PM

DarkSable said:
You aren't going to find a laptop that can do that at that price point. It costs about $8-900 for the manufacturers to MAKE a laptop that can do gaming at all.


Hmm. What if I went with a desktop?
Score
0
Related resources
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2013 9:17:14 PM

Yup, there is no gaming laptop that are cheap, in desktop with that budget (include os + monitor + mouse/keyboard/speaker + etc)

will only get u low (decent) one but it will have much better performance than laptop at same price

Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
a c 439 D Laptop
April 21, 2013 9:24:04 PM

Desktop for games is a better choice. You generally get better bang for the buck because individual components for a desktop are generally less expensive than for laptops. Those components needs to conform to tight spaces, low power consumption and low heat emission all of which impacts the cost. That means to maintain the same price point between a laptop and desktop, the laptop must have lower performing parts.

Also, upgrades for a laptop are limited to the hard drive and RAM. In an inexpensive laptop you may be able to upgrade the CPU, but you will never be able to upgrade the graphics card / chip. In a desktop, anything and everything can be upgraded as long as they are all compatible with each other.
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2013 9:58:34 PM

Nicholas Liedorff said:
Hmm. What if I went with a desktop?

For $600, you can easily make a desktop that can max call of duty and play battlefield on medium / high settings.

That being said, you'd have to build it, not buy a prebuilt. (It's very easy though - it only takes a normal Phillips screwdriver, and is like LEGOs for adults.)

Score
0
April 22, 2013 5:10:36 AM

Okay great! Do you have any build suggestions? Also I have a hdmi compatible monitor that gets 720p.
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2013 9:35:05 AM

Oh jeeze, you're only playing at 720p?
Ok, look at something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.64 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card ($148.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $648.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-22 12:34 EDT-0400)

There's a little fat that can be trimmed if absolutely necessary, but that'll get you great performance.
Score
0
April 22, 2013 4:08:12 PM

DarkSable said:
Oh jeeze, you're only playing at 720p?
Ok, look at something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.64 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card ($148.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $648.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-22 12:34 EDT-0400)

There's a little fat that can be trimmed if absolutely necessary, but that'll get you great performance.


I do have a TV screen that is 1080p I could use. And should I upgrade that (2 x 2) ram to a (2 x 4)? or is 8gb ram not necessary? Could i get a 500gb HDD with the same speed? Id be willing to shell out a couple more bucks to get a case that looks cool :D  any suggestions on that? Also I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2DcFZTgwfI (read description) how does that build sound?
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2013 8:02:04 PM

I went with 2x2 because it's cheaper - 8GB is just about the ideal spot.

You could get that as a 500GB drive, but I think it would be all of $6 cheaper. :p 

As for the case, it's a very personal thing; I personally like minimalistic cases, so you're on your own for that. That youtube build is a good option, but the CPU is significantly less powerful; it's up to you whether you want that with better graphics or be able to upgrade graphics 2 years down the road while keeping that CPU without a bottleneck.
Score
0
April 22, 2013 8:14:26 PM

DarkSable said:
I went with 2x2 because it's cheaper - 8GB is just about the ideal spot.

You could get that as a 500GB drive, but I think it would be all of $6 cheaper. :p 

As for the case, it's a very personal thing; I personally like minimalistic cases, so you're on your own for that. That youtube build is a good option, but the CPU is significantly less powerful; it's up to you whether you want that with better graphics or be able to upgrade graphics 2 years down the road while keeping that CPU without a bottleneck.


Do you have any ideas for a cheaper build closer to $600, maybe even under?
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2013 8:18:52 PM

Certainly you could go with something like this:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($98.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.64 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card ($145.38 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $596.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-22 23:18 EDT-0400)
Score
0
April 23, 2013 6:35:25 AM

DarkSable said:
Certainly you could go with something like this:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($98.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.64 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card ($145.38 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $596.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-22 23:18 EDT-0400)


I still need an OS :/  and keep in mind with these builds I want high settings on BF3 with high frame rates on 1080p.
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2013 11:03:28 AM

That means you want a $500 computer that will get you high fps and high settings at 1080p in battlefield 3.

That's not going to happen, either in a desktop OR a laptop. Sorry. :/ 
Score
0
April 23, 2013 12:12:06 PM

DarkSable said:
That means you want a $500 computer that will get you high fps and high settings at 1080p in battlefield 3.

That's not going to happen, either in a desktop OR a laptop. Sorry. :/ 


Ill have to just save up enough to get an OS on top of the build you listed.
Score
0
April 23, 2013 12:16:26 PM

DarkSable said:
That means you want a $500 computer that will get you high fps and high settings at 1080p in battlefield 3.

That's not going to happen, either in a desktop OR a laptop. Sorry. :/ 



In another thread I got the info for this build CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($60.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.20 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.97 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($95.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $625.06

How is that in comparison to the build you listed? (FYI I have more faith in your opinion over others)
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2013 1:01:47 PM

That's a pretty decent rig, but the trouble is that the power supply won't let you upgrade the graphics card much, and the graphics card itself is considerably worse. There are a few other points that I would nit-pick, but that's beside the point.

So, I have a question, then. What if you went with a good base system with a lower-end graphics card and saved up to upgrade it? That would be your best way to get what you're looking for.
Score
0
April 23, 2013 2:22:42 PM

DarkSable said:
That's a pretty decent rig, but the trouble is that the power supply won't let you upgrade the graphics card much, and the graphics card itself is considerably worse. There are a few other points that I would nit-pick, but that's beside the point.

So, I have a question, then. What if you went with a good base system with a lower-end graphics card and saved up to upgrade it? That would be your best way to get what you're looking for.


That is a fantastic idea being that this is a replacement for my Xbox 360 (and next-gen consoles) the problem is that I am simply impatient, haha. I can do exactly that (go with a good base and a lower end graphics card) and set myself up for near-future upgrades, if I will be able to smoothly play the games I want until I am able to upgrade.
Score
0

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2013 3:44:54 PM

Nicholas Liedorff said:
That is a fantastic idea being that this is a replacement for my Xbox 360 (and next-gen consoles) the problem is that I am simply impatient, haha. I can do exactly that (go with a good base and a lower end graphics card) and set myself up for near-future upgrades, if I will be able to smoothly play the games I want until I am able to upgrade.


Glad it works well for you! As for a base rig, I'd look at something like this:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.64 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($95.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $605.13
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-23 18:44 EDT-0400)

Then you can just save up for a 7870 XT, 7950, or 670, slap it in there, and be good to max out games at 1080p.

EDIT: Whoops... I forgot RAM. If you can spare another $50, go with this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/patriot-memory-pvi38g160c9.... If not, just buy 4GB and another 4GB later.
Share
April 23, 2013 5:38:42 PM

DarkSable said:
Nicholas Liedorff said:
That is a fantastic idea being that this is a replacement for my Xbox 360 (and next-gen consoles) the problem is that I am simply impatient, haha. I can do exactly that (go with a good base and a lower end graphics card) and set myself up for near-future upgrades, if I will be able to smoothly play the games I want until I am able to upgrade.


Glad it works well for you! As for a base rig, I'd look at something like this:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.64 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($95.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $605.13
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-23 18:44 EDT-0400)

Then you can just save up for a 7870 XT, 7950, or 670, slap it in there, and be good to max out games at 1080p.

EDIT: Whoops... I forgot RAM. If you can spare another $50, go with this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/patriot-memory-pvi38g160c9.... If not, just buy 4GB and another 4GB later.


Okay the only question I have about this build is the i5 processor. Is there any specific reason you chose the i5 over an amd processor with more cores? And more generally, how important is the processor in terms of gaming ability?
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2013 5:48:22 PM

The reason I took the i5 is because core-for-core, the i5 is significantly faster than an AMD offering. Since many games only use two threads, and most can't use more than 4, the i5 is the way to go. (This is reflected in most builds on Tom's.) If you're doing video editing or other heavily-multithreaded tasks, a FX 8350 will be a good choice, but just for gaming, the i5 will be significantly faster.

As for how important the processor is, it's sort of like RAM - as long as you have enough, adding more doesn't help, but if you don't have enough, then you get huge performance gains by adding more. The i5 is that top sweet spot.
Score
0
April 23, 2013 5:54:35 PM

DarkSable said:
The reason I took the i5 is because core-for-core, the i5 is significantly faster than an AMD offering. Since many games only use two threads, and most can't use more than 4, the i5 is the way to go. (This is reflected in most builds on Tom's.) If you're doing video editing or other heavily-multithreaded tasks, a FX 8350 will be a good choice, but just for gaming, the i5 will be significantly faster.

As for how important the processor is, it's sort of like RAM - as long as you have enough, adding more doesn't help, but if you don't have enough, then you get huge performance gains by adding more. The i5 is that top sweet spot.


Okay this sounds great! thanks for the explanation also. With the i5 and the mobo listed, will I ever be restricted on GPU upgrades? And with the i5 will the GPU be able to do well (high) on games as graphic intensive as BF3 and future games (BF4)?
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2013 6:03:48 PM

As for GPU upgrades, you've got PCIe 3.0, so you'll be set for a while. The i5 is pretty much the fastest CPU out there for gaming right now (The i7 is no better at all), so you're going to be set for a while.

The GPU listed won't get you high graphics on games, but if you upgrade to a 7870 XT or better, then you'll be good.
Score
0
April 23, 2013 6:15:21 PM

DarkSable said:
As for GPU upgrades, you've got PCIe 3.0, so you'll be set for a while. The i5 is pretty much the fastest CPU out there for gaming right now (The i7 is no better at all), so you're going to be set for a while.

The GPU listed won't get you high graphics on games, but if you upgrade to a 7870 XT or better, then you'll be good.


The 7870 XT is pretty far out of my financial reach right now. Would a Nvidia GeForce 650Ti Boost 2gb be 1. good and 2. compatible? Or can you recommend a GPU that will get me better performance while being under $170 dollar mark? And this is a little late to ask but just to clarify this build price is in USD, correct?
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2013 6:19:31 PM

Build price is in usd, yeah.

The 650ti is a good card, but it's not going to get you high settings in battlefield 4. You've got to have a higher total budget to get that, which is why I'm recommending you save up to buy a good card.
Score
0
April 23, 2013 6:23:41 PM

Would a $700-$800 dollar build get me there? $800 dollars is the absolute max.
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2013 6:53:16 PM

Go with the build I gave you with the 7750 in it.

Wait for a few months and save up your money until you can afford a 7870 XT.
Score
0
April 23, 2013 6:56:48 PM

Okay thanks for all of your help!
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2013 7:06:02 PM

Of course!

I'm glad I could help you get the performance you were looking for. :) 
Score
0
!