Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Please guide me with overclocking my GPU

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 22, 2013 9:02:00 AM

I have a (gasp) 630m (yes it's a laptop, scary right?)
And I'm really angry at nvidia for using deceptively complicated naming schemes so I want to overclock the hell out of it. I've tried as much as I can, but it only goes from the default of 800 GPU to 936.6 exactly, no matter how much i move the slider i wont go past that.

More about : guide overclocking gpu

a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2013 9:08:22 AM

salh said:
I have a (gasp) 630m (yes it's a laptop, scary right?)
And I'm really angry at nvidia for using deceptively complicated naming schemes so I want to overclock the hell out of it. I've tried as much as I can, but it only goes from the default of 800 GPU to 936.6 exactly, no matter how much i move the slider i wont go past that.


Before any advice about overclocking, some warnings first. OCing milks every last drop of performance from the GPU, and thus, as a consequence produces a lot of heat and consumes more power.

Now, in desktop situations, the OCer has the option for additional cooling, while laptop users are constrained in that field. If the GPU can't handle the stresses of OCing, it usaually clocks down, if the OCer insists on OCing despite thermal and power issues, the GPU may fail. hardware failures in laptops are particularly bad since parts can;t be swapped easily and having it fixed is a task.

So, yes, OCing in a laptop is scary.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2013 9:16:24 AM

The reason why you can't move past 936.6 (core or memory frequency?) is probably because the GPU has reached it's ceiling and is protecting you from damaging your property or person.

Also, I find the naming conventions of nvidia to be pretty straightforward, I dont see what might have misled you.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 23, 2013 3:51:03 AM

faster23rd said:
The reason why you can't move past 936.6 (core or memory frequency?) is probably because the GPU has reached it's ceiling and is protecting you from damaging your property or person.

Also, I find the naming conventions of nvidia to be pretty straightforward, I dont see what might have misled you.


they are sraightforwardif you have a truckload of money to offer and they cant milk you any further. Just google about any of the popular mobile chipsets like 610,620,630,635,710 etc and you'll know what I mean.
Apparently my 630m is inferior to all the other 630ms out there because nvidia doesnt care. (96 vs 144, 64 vs 128)
m
0
l
April 23, 2013 3:54:29 AM

faster23rd said:
salh said:
I have a (gasp) 630m (yes it's a laptop, scary right?)
And I'm really angry at nvidia for using deceptively complicated naming schemes so I want to overclock the hell out of it. I've tried as much as I can, but it only goes from the default of 800 GPU to 936.6 exactly, no matter how much i move the slider i wont go past that.


Before any advice about overclocking, some warnings first. OCing milks every last drop of performance from the GPU, and thus, as a consequence produces a lot of heat and consumes more power.

Now, in desktop situations, the OCer has the option for additional cooling, while laptop users are constrained in that field. If the GPU can't handle the stresses of OCing, it usaually clocks down, if the OCer insists on OCing despite thermal and power issues, the GPU may fail. hardware failures in laptops are particularly bad since parts can;t be swapped easily and having it fixed is a task.

So, yes, OCing in a laptop is scary.


From my experience, only over volting is supposed to increase temps right? (since heat energy cant be created from no where)
But yeah, I understand your warning, and i have enough softwares to monintor temps while i overclock.
related:
m
0
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
April 23, 2013 4:24:02 AM

salh said:
From my experience, only over volting is supposed to increase temps right? (since heat energy cant be created from no where)
But yeah, I understand your warning, and i have enough softwares to monintor temps while i overclock.
related:


Wrong, increasing the GPU clock without overvolting still increases heat!

salh said:
(since heat energy cant be created from no where)


You increase the core frequency load you increase the core temperature, you're creating the heat energy by increasing the GPU load.

Are you actually going to claim in this thread, when you increase from 800 to 936.6, your temperature doesn't change at all?

Faster23rd, has given you good advice, the software limits are set in place to keep you from destroying your laptop.

We're talking about a laptop here, even the best of the best have their limitations, because heat is a hardware killer, and laptops are not the best at solving that problem.

Either back off your overclocking goals, or prepare to replace it, simple as that.

The main reason overclockers choose desktops is because we can use aftermarket cooling.


m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2013 5:13:14 AM

salh said:
faster23rd said:
The reason why you can't move past 936.6 (core or memory frequency?) is probably because the GPU has reached it's ceiling and is protecting you from damaging your property or person.

Also, I find the naming conventions of nvidia to be pretty straightforward, I dont see what might have misled you.


they are sraightforwardif you have a truckload of money to offer and they cant milk you any further. Just google about any of the popular mobile chipsets like 610,620,630,635,710 etc and you'll know what I mean.
Apparently my 630m is inferior to all the other 630ms out there because nvidia doesnt care. (96 vs 144, 64 vs 128)


Nvidia has a lot of value-oriented cards out there and they currently lead the mainstream gfx card market after cutting prices and introducing competitive cards at attractive price points. It doesn't take a truckload of money to get yourself an able Nvidia card, unless of course we're talking about enthusiast cards like the Titan or the 7990.

Don't be upset at Nvidia just because it runs your graphics, your whole laptop was probably constructed and marketed by an entirely different manufacturer. What that manufacturer said about your laptop graphics-wise is not Nvidia's fault. I find that a problem in the laptop market, when manufacturers too often label their products as "gaming-ready" when it is not completely true.

Ryan and I gave you your overclocking options, and unless you want to risk your property and your health, that's pretty much it.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 239 K Overclocking
April 23, 2013 5:37:25 AM

salh said:
Please guide me with overclocking my GPU


Your thread title has been answered.

To sum it up for you.

When your GPU is inside a laptop and you have no way to increase the cooling of it, we're guiding you to be satisfied with the software allowed overclock.

Share
April 25, 2013 6:30:00 AM

faster23rd said:
salh said:
faster23rd said:
The reason why you can't move past 936.6 (core or memory frequency?) is probably because the GPU has reached it's ceiling and is protecting you from damaging your property or person.

Also, I find the naming conventions of nvidia to be pretty straightforward, I dont see what might have misled you.


they are sraightforwardif you have a truckload of money to offer and they cant milk you any further. Just google about any of the popular mobile chipsets like 610,620,630,635,710 etc and you'll know what I mean.
Apparently my 630m is inferior to all the other 630ms out there because nvidia doesnt care. (96 vs 144, 64 vs 128)


Nvidia has a lot of value-oriented cards out there and they currently lead the mainstream gfx card market after cutting prices and introducing competitive cards at attractive price points. It doesn't take a truckload of money to get yourself an able Nvidia card, unless of course we're talking about enthusiast cards like the Titan or the 7990.

Don't be upset at Nvidia just because it runs your graphics, your whole laptop was probably constructed and marketed by an entirely different manufacturer. What that manufacturer said about your laptop graphics-wise is not Nvidia's fault. I find that a problem in the laptop market, when manufacturers too often label their products as "gaming-ready" when it is not completely true.

Ryan and I gave you your overclocking options, and unless you want to risk your property and your health, that's pretty much it.


I know you're a big bad overclocker but you simply arent aware about the entry level scene; nVidia actually has two or three different cards with the exact same name "630m". There was no way for me to find out which version of the card i had before buying as it involves installing software.
m
0
l
!