FX-8150 Water Cooling and Prime95

raginghobo32907

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
I'm brand new to OC'ing processors and wanted to get some advice on stability and general knowledge about this processor's capabilities with the AMD-brand liquid cooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106011

^this is what I have installed, along with:

ASRock 970 Extreme 3
G.Skill Ripjaws X series DDR3 1600 4 x 1Gb
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1Gb OC version
Kingston HyperX 3K 120Gb

The BIOS is fully updated to v1.7 and all drivers are up-to-date. I am running the processor at 20% OC (4.32 GHz) and had to manually set the RAM to DDR3-1599 and am getting temps no higher than 63*C. Games like Bioshock Infinite and Battlefield 3 run max with no issues...

However, when I run Prime95 (blend) I receive fatal errors (possible hardware failure!) on cores 4-7, while cores 0-3 run without a hitch. I realize that this isn't a "true octo-core," yet I don't believe I should be seeing these errors. Vcore runs between 1.10V-1.19V according to ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility (I'm sure this is slightly off).

As I said, I'm new to OC'ing and really don't want to mess up any expensive hardware, which is why these errors have me worried. Could I have not applied enough thermal compound, is there a BIOS setting I'm not seeing, or something else? Thank you for your replies in advance.

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
You shouldnt be reaching 63c with that overclock. If Prime is not stable than your overclock is not stable, the max temp for your chip is 62c on the cores. I would go back and lower your voltages and start your overclock over, post here if you need any further help. Please read the overclocking stickies it is important to have a moderate idea of what you are doing so you dont destroy your precious hardware :) What were your temps on cores in Prime?

raginghobo32907

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
I truly apologize for my lack of knowledge, but could you give me an example of a program which would allow me to see what the temperatures for each core are while running Prime95? I am a full-time student and don't have a lot of time dedicated to this - unfortunately - which is why I decided to post here. It makes me feel quite noob-ish, but the best way to learn is trial and error (within reasonable boundaries, IMO). I believe I do have a basic understanding of OC'ing. However, I have yet to encounter an all-encompassing tutorial on AMD CPU OC'ing.

Load temps are no more than 63c (overall, according to ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility), with idle at 36c-37c. I know that I shouldn't see temps above 70c if I am OC'ing at load (or am I mistaken on this?) which makes me believe that I didn't apply enough thermal compound. This is my 2nd personal build; 4th if you count basic stock builds for friends. I have a moderate-level tech knowledge, but am not versed in the acronyms and lingo of the OC and performance-build world.

Thank you for the quick and honest reply!

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012

Hey buddy, no problem, I hear ya, you are busy off studying things besides overclocking ;p

As Ihog mentioned Coretemp works. I personally suggest using HWinfo64 or HWMonitor but everyone has their preferences. I like HWinfo64 because it gives more detailed information such as Avg temps, Maximums reached and also shows utilization percentages for hardware to detect bottlenecks in your system.

As for an all encompassing tutorial, well I haven't found one either, let me know if you do. I agree with your previous statement about trial and error, no better way to learn than through experience. Although some users state spikes during stress testing are ok and expected I really would suggest staying within 62c or below, if you are exceeding that temp on cores than you are probably doing some thermal damage. Once you download a temp monitor post back with your results.

raginghobo32907

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013

Thank you for the courteous reply and info. I'm glad someone understands. I've downloaded HWinfo64 and done a few stress tests with my current clock speed. The following is what I have after 40 minutes of running Prime95 on blend:
http://postimg.org/image/n0tkrvvzp/
I'm still receiving errors and illegal sumouts on the last 4 cores. Everything seems to run fine other than that. Strange...

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012

Did you turn off all power saving features and disable turbo mode? Also disable Spread Spectrum (Might be labeled PCI Spread Spectrum) If you did disable those than I would take the next step and bump up your voltage once, then rerun Prime for alittle bit. Run a small ffts test for about 15min and see if you get any core failures.

raginghobo32907

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
After disabling spread spectrum and turbo mode, running Prime95 caused my PC to lock up at the current clock speed. I've since re-enabled both for fear of hardware damage. I'm not sure which power-saving modes to disable, as the UEFI (BIOS, I suppose) is not helpful in explaining each feature. If it's any help, I'll list my hardware:

FX-8150 w/ AMD closed-loop liquid cooling
ASRock Extreme3 970
G.Skill DDR3-1800 4 x 1Gb
Sapphire Radeon HD4870 1Gb OC version
Kingston HyperX 3K 120Gb SSD

raginghobo32907

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013

ALRIGHTY. Sorry for the long hiatus - college and such. Anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and list all of my settings since I'm still getting 1-2 worker failures after 15 minutes of Prime95 running small ffts. HWmonitor says peak on load is 62*C and average is 57*C. Now that I've read up a bit on settings, I just want to have a decent stable OC. 4.3-4.4 GHz is my goal, if that seems reasonable (I think it is only because it's under water).

Underlined items were title/section headers.
Items in bold were able to be changed, the others I copied down for reference in case they were needed.

CPU Configuration
Overclock Mode: Manual
>CPU Frequency: 200 MHz
>PCIe Frequency: 100 MHz
Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Active Core Control: All Cores <--- not too sure about this one
AMD Turbo Core Technology: Disabled
>Current APM Status: Disabled
AMD Application Power Management: Disabled

Processor Max Frequency: 6300 MHz
NB Max Frequency: 6200 MHz
Processor Max Voltage: 1.5500V

Overclocking
Multiplier/Voltage Change: Manual
CPU Frequency Multiplier: x22.0 = 4400 MHz
CPU Voltage: 1.4250V
NB Frequency Multiplier: x10.0 = 2000 MHz
CPU NB Voltage: 1.200V
HT Bus Speed: Auto
HT Bus Width: 16 bit

DRAM Timing Configuration <--- don't know much about RAM settings
CPU Load Line Calibration: Auto <--- not too sure about this one either
DRAM Voltage: 1.500V - Auto
NB Voltage: 1.145 V - Auto
HT Voltage: 1.210V - Auto
CPU VDDA Voltage: 2.56V - Auto
PCIe VDDA Voltage: 1.81V - Auto

Advanced CPU Settings
Secure Virtual Machine: Disabled
CPU Thermal Throttle: Disabled
Cool n Quiet: Disabled
Enhanced Halt State (C1E): Disabled
Core C6 Mode: Disabled

I'm hoping I can get this clock stable (higher is always better, if possible and safe), since it seems to run everything the way I like. Games such as Crysis 3 and DMC run much more smoothly. Thanks for all the support and patience!