How's this $500 build?

Mr69Buttcheeks

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Is this a good build for my $500 budget?

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)

Motherboard: ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ Outlet PC)

Video Card: Diamond Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.98 @ Newegg)

Case Fan: Rosewill RFX-120 87.5 CFM 120mm Fan ($5.60 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $486.47
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I plan on running games such as Left 4 Dead 2, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Dead Island, Fallout 3, CS:GO, Company of Heroes 2, Total War, etc. So would this be a good build to run some relatively demanding games and how can I improve my build while staying within my $500 budget?

help you with some parts selection :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($89.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $480.92
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-22 21:54 EDT-0400)

it is an option to include coolermaster cpu cooler, but not tx3. hyper 212 evo is the best choice
but i still recommend using stock cooler from amd

tenaciousk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
It all works, and is a solid build. If you do not plan on doing any upgrading to soon i would consider swapping your cpu for something cheaper, like a Phenom II 965 BE. And putting that money to a little stronger graphics card. Your bottleneck will not be the cpu in this system but the gpu. I would try and get something like the 7770, maybe 7790. Minimum for a gaming computer.

If your are interested in actually overclocking, the motherboard you have limits as its actually a 770 board(so its only geard towards mild clocks). Though at this budget, I would definately prefer to lessen the load on the cpu by switching the gpu from 6300 -> phenom x4 965be and using the money to upgrade the gpu from a 7750 to something better. As a gamer, you'd probably be more happy with a slightly better gpu.

You list the 6300 from a Micro Center "In Store Only" price, so if the OP doesn't live near a Micro Center than they won't get that price. I've listed a build that will game better than what has been posted so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card ($145.38 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.28 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $509.61
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-22 22:06 EDT-0400)

* CPU is good for this budget and will OC a bit if you like.
* Mobo has what you need for this price range.
* RAM has LOW PROFILE heat spreaders, so you can add just about any aftermarket CPU HSF, if you like later. It is also a bit faster than 1600 mHz RAM and will help you when/if you OC your CPU.
* GPU is better than 7750 and 7770.
* Case is a good buy at this price for what you get.
* PSU is one of the best in this price range and will support up to a 7850 or GTX 660.

Yes I increase your budget by ~$10 to fit the 7790. The 7850/GTX 660 would be a bit better, if you can afford it (~$160-200)

he listed it at the first place, so i feel save to write microcenter on the build

I recommend at least a 7790 bare minimum(for fluid gameplay) for the incoming gen if you want to play AAA titles, as its the rumored gpu going into the next xbox console(PS4 will be stronger, but being at the consoles level in gpu performance is something probably you want ot be in). Side note anyways, if you wanted a 7790 or better, you get games bundled with them(AMD side, as for nvidia its a f2p bundle for in game currency for low end cards, and upper end gets metro last light)

its due to some games requiring DX11 for their upper tier graphics. DX11 is only natively accessible on Win7/Win8. since there's a console shift soon, the number of DX11 titles I would think will go up.

Vista will work, but Windows 7 is "Vista SP3", IMHO :) Lol!

Well I'm hoping that he is near one, but I like to point it out, because PC Part Picker will just assume whatever and will list the cheapest price available (unless you set it up in your preferences). No worries though, I just try to make sure the OP understands the savings in price comes with a caveat.

Mr69Buttcheeks

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Well I appreciate the quick, helpful information I've received from everyone. I just recently got into pc's so all the help I've gotten so far is great. I'll look to increasing my budget and getting a better GPU or perhaps go for lunyone's build. This is my first post btw so thank you guys for making a great first impression :D

We all are here to help, so thank you for the kind words. Hopefully you have learned something and you can now make an informed decision on which way to go. If you budget changes, please let us know so we can help you decide on what path to take or which parts to consider. We all have been in your shoes at one point in time, so no question is a stupid one :)

If you were to purchase now and had to make one final decision, I would take Lunyone's build relatively, use the ram you had in the initial build, and dedicate the money saved into a cpu cooler so you can actually get somewhere with the clocks. Probably the only one thing I'd change in the build.

Well I would say that having the CPU HSF isn't necessary on a stock CPU, but down the road it would help OC'ing the CPU. Of coarse it will help keep the CPU cool now, but I'd rather have the CPU + 7790 over a CPU + CPU HSF + 7750 as far as gaming is concerned.

he doesnt have to downgrade gpu, the price of ram difference is like 17$ between yours and the one he has. 17$ can get close enough to a budget Xigmatek Gaia, without changing the gpu at all. I never mentioned having to downgrade gpu at all.

Didn't have the set on my radar (because I didn't have NCIX US on my preferences). Newegg had that set before and the reviews were okay, but not realy good. They should be fine for most people. The $17 difference would account fo the GAIA CPU HSF, if that fits within the budget and would make sense when wanting a bit cooler CPU or to have some OC'ing room.

I was just stating that if I had a choice of better GPU than getting a CPU HSF, I would opt for the better GPU.