Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Can I connect a blu-ray player to a laptop?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
April 22, 2013 8:38:45 PM

Hello all. I am working on a long-term plan to set up a home theater system with as few pieces as possible. I already have a gaming quality ASUS laptop but unfortunately, the laptop doesn't have a blu-ray player. I mistakenly went out and purchased a SONY BDP-S1100 player thinking I should be able to hook this up to the laptop for now and eventually (once funds are available, hook the player directly into a much larger screen on a TV). Silly me forgot that my laptop ports are output only. However, there is a USB port on the blu-ray player. Should I be able to play blu-rays onto my laptop screen using a USB adapter? Is there any way to connect the player to the laptop? I know this will also require software and already have a program selected (PowerDVD). Thanks for your help.
April 22, 2013 8:55:41 PM

I don't get the problem, you have a standalone blu-ray player so just connect it to the TV... Why would you try to route it through a PC first?
April 22, 2013 8:58:17 PM

Supermuncher85 said:
I don't get the problem, you have a standalone blu-ray player so just connect it to the TV... Why would you try to route it through a PC first?


As mentioned in the post, I don't have a TV yet and probably won't for several months. I'm looking for ways, if any, to route to the laptop until I DO have a television in the future, thus making this whole problem null and void.
Related resources

Best solution

a b D Laptop
April 22, 2013 9:04:11 PM
Share

The bluray player doesn't support being used as an external optical drive. The usb port is for a keyboard, or playing music or browsing photos from a usb storage device.
April 22, 2013 9:09:55 PM

bignastyid said:
The bluray player doesn't support being used as an external optical drive. The usb port is for a keyboard, or playing music or browsing photos from a usb storage device.


As I feared. I think that's pretty silly but I guess it keeps the market lucrative.
April 22, 2013 9:14:18 PM

Ah ok so your looking for a type of passthrough. Unfortunatly there isn't an easy solutions for it. The only thing I can think of would be something like a capture card or similar (avermedia for example) but those cost $170 or so for HDMI. You'd be better off buying an external (non OEM!!!!) blu-ray player. Why non oem? Cause you NEED the software for playback or you will have to buy it seperatly.
April 22, 2013 9:16:48 PM

Supermuncher85 said:
Ah ok so your looking for a type of passthrough. Unfortunatly there isn't an easy solutions for it. The only thing I can think of would be something like a capture card or similar (avermedia for example) but those cost $170 or so for HDMI. You'd be better off buying an external (non OEM!!!!) blu-ray player. Why non oem? Cause you NEED the software for playback or you will have to buy it seperatly.


At $170, that just pushes me closer to getting a low-end flat screen to hook up both inputs (laptop and blu-ray) to. Sounds like I should expedite that purchase if possible. Thanks!
April 22, 2013 9:20:37 PM

Yeah pretty much. I've had plenty of "friends" who bought a blu-ray drive for their PC only to be disappointed after finding out their OEM drive won't play them. Don't skimp the $10 saving on the drive if you have to pay $50 for the software to play them. And for the moment I don't know an alternative. And as mentioned before there is no simple way to use your laptop screen as a pass through.
!