Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

(Beginner) Upgraded cpu too a AMD 8350. I need help purchasing the best cooler.

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 24, 2013 10:54:51 AM

Hi guys i have no one too ask who knows how too build / fix computers but basically i bought this pc back in december.

Pc link:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=11...

And i have purchased a extra 8gb stick of ram so i have 16gb total. Also today upgraded the cpu from a Fx 4170 too a Fx 8350.

Im using the stock cpu cooler atm but i have £100 i can happily spend too keep my cpu very cool and running smoothly.

The problem is i have no idea what too look for all i know is i want it too be the best cooler i can buy and do its job, and fit my pc.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was looking at the H100I liquid cooler although for someone like me who knows nothing about adding / removing parts exept from simple things like ram would that be possible?.

And is water cooling a good option i heard its possible for leaks and having too change the water all the time.

Would like too hear your guys thoughts and thanks :D 

Also my motherboard is a GIGABYTE 78LMT-USB3 not the best i think but i am %100 sure i dont want too replace a motherboard :D 
a c 143 à CPUs
April 24, 2013 11:02:40 AM

Closed-loop liquid coolers are zero-maintenance; they don't leak unless seriously abused, and they don't need to be refilled. Cheaper ones offer performance similar to a good air cooler, but the H100i is a better one.
If you're not going to overclock [much], you may be satisfied with a good air cooler. If you intend to push a high OC though, you may want the liquid cooler.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 143 à CPUs
April 24, 2013 11:09:00 AM

I cannot recommend CM anything, regardless of quality, because the company is guilty of willful consumer fraud. In any case, the OP has specified GBP rather than USD, so Newegg/Tigerdirect links probably won't help.
For a good air cooler, check out the Noctua NH-D14. In the midrange, but still decent, the Xigmatec Gaia is cheaper than a lot of comparable offerings (e.g. CM Hyper 212 EVO) but cools within 1C while being 6db quieter (per Frostytech reviews).
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 11:10:11 AM

Thanks then guys i think ill be buying the cooler even if i dont overclock it will be keeping my temp lower than any fan can. I think ill have too pay someone too fit this for me i dont want too do it myself.

Or od you guys think its possible for me too fit this without any problems?

And that noctua is soo big i think it wont fit due too my ram being close too the cpu
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 11:12:31 AM

Oh sure, just screw it in (after applying some thermal paste) and find a good place for the radiator to sit, preferably somewhere with available airflow.

Screw, glue or velcro it in.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 11:12:40 AM

Look no further than a Cooler Master Hyper 212.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 11:14:56 AM

Thermal paste hmm i would be worried about applying that and not placing enough or too much on so thats another reason why i should also maybe let a computer shop fit it so i dont fry my cpu
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 11:16:33 AM

Miitch said:
Thermal paste hmm i would be worried about applying that and not placing enough or too little on so thats another reason why i should also maybe let a computer shop fit it so i dont fry my cpu


Just put a dab in the middle and spread it out it's not a big deal as long as it's there.
m
0
l
a c 143 à CPUs
April 24, 2013 11:21:43 AM

There are a lot of YouTube videos out there on applying paste (and installing coolers). Make sure you have room for the radiator before you buy though. A 240mm radiator generally goes on the top, but some cases don't have enough room between the top and the motherboard. If that's the case, the single-length radiator of a lesser model can go where the rear fan mounts.
Edit: And, most likely, the cooler will already have a thin layer of paste applied.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 11:24:01 AM

It's quite safe, AS5 is one of the best aftermarket thermal pastes out there, but there're probably others. Do your research and buy the best.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 11:32:34 AM

DukeOvilla said:
It's quite safe, AS5 is one of the best aftermarket thermal pastes out there, but there're probably others. Do your research and buy the best.


I ran a CPU with toothpast as the TIM and it was within 2c of some high end noctua TIM stuff.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2013 11:35:14 AM

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_000...

I always recommend the TT Frio Advanced. I'm willing to say, after the Hyper 212, is the best budget cooler for high OC builds or quiet builds out there.

Cheers!

EDIT: Thermal paste, yes, AS5 is the thing I always recommend as well. Cheap and very good.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 11:39:29 AM

Duke Nucome said:
DukeOvilla said:
It's quite safe, AS5 is one of the best aftermarket thermal pastes out there, but there're probably others. Do your research and buy the best.


I ran a CPU with toothpast as the TIM and it was within 2c of some high end noctua TIM stuff.


Cool, but that sound like a bad idea for long term use.

m
0
l
April 24, 2013 11:42:16 AM

DukeOvilla said:
Duke Nucome said:
DukeOvilla said:
It's quite safe, AS5 is one of the best aftermarket thermal pastes out there, but there're probably others. Do your research and buy the best.


I ran a CPU with toothpast as the TIM and it was within 2c of some high end noctua TIM stuff.


Cool, but that sound like a bad idea for long term use.



It was just an experiment to prove my theory that TIM is overrated. Now I just keep cheap TIM in stock as the performance increase is negligible for the price increase going to high end TIM.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 11:45:35 AM

Reasonable. I can see what you're saying. Truth to be told, most any aftermarket pastes are better than that stock cement crap they use.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 11:47:35 AM

DukeOvilla said:
Reasonable. I can see what you're saying. Truth to be told, most any aftermarket pastes are better than that stock cement crap they use.


The point is that it does not matter even toothpaste cuts the mustard so the included past will be more than adequate.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 11:49:07 AM

I believe the Corsair h100i Comes with thermal paste ready applied so that solves that problem im going too go ahead and purchase it sometimes this week after double checking i have enough space :D 
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 11:53:45 AM

Miitch said:
I believe the Corsair h100i Comes with thermal paste ready applied so that solves that problem im going too go ahead and purchase it sometimes this week after double checking i have enough space :D 


Either way it's not a big deal. IMO the H100 is a waste of money. IMO if you are after water cooling get a water cooler and not a cheesy all in one thing that costs as much as an entry level real water loop.
m
0
l
a c 143 à CPUs
April 24, 2013 12:10:48 PM

Custom loops require a certain amount of expertise to spec out, prepare, install, and maintain; the OP has indicated he does not have that level of experience.
If you go to HardwareSecrets and look under Cooling, they have done quite a few reviews, so you can see how the various coolers stack up. Frostytech.com is another good cooler review site.
If you'd like to keep it simple, I can tell you that the Xigmatek Gaias I have keep my systems quite comfortable with their relatively mild overclocks. Frostytech found the Gaia to offer cooling performance between the CM Hyper212+ and the Hyper212 EVO, while being 6db quieter. If quiet is what you want, this is the one to get.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 12:16:07 PM

Onus said:
Custom loops require a certain amount of expertise to spec out, prepare, install, and maintain; the OP has indicated he does not have that level of experience.

That's why I recommend the Hyper 212. Mine has done me well with an high OCed CPU and it is as silent as can be with the fan turned down via BIOS.



m
0
l
a c 143 à CPUs
April 24, 2013 12:49:16 PM

The Gaia beats the the Hyper212+ and cools within 1C of the Hyper212 EVO while being quieter than either per Frostytech reviews, and at least here in the USA can be considerably cheaper ($20 vs. $35 now, not counting rebates, an uncertain game at best). Pricing in the UK may of course be different. Basically, any 120mm tower-style cooler with direct-touch heat pipes will be sufficient.
If the motherboard tray has a large hole in it for the purpose, you may be able to install the cooler without removing the motherboard. If you have to remove the motherboard, you may want to ask a local shop to do it, BUT...it might be cheaper to buy a cooler from them if they offer free installation, rather than asking them to install a cooler you provide.
m
0
l
April 24, 2013 1:15:17 PM

Onus said:
The Gaia beats the the Hyper212+ and cools within 1C of the Hyper212 EVO while being quieter than either per Frostytech reviews, and at least here in the USA can be considerably cheaper ($20 vs. $35 now, not counting rebates, an uncertain game at best). Pricing in the UK may of course be different. Basically, any 120mm tower-style cooler with direct-touch heat pipes will be sufficient.
If the motherboard tray has a large hole in it for the purpose, you may be able to install the cooler without removing the motherboard. If you have to remove the motherboard, you may want to ask a local shop to do it, BUT...it might be cheaper to buy a cooler from them if they offer free installation, rather than asking them to install a cooler you provide.

They are all the same. The Hyper 212 I use is silent because I have the fan turned down to Low via bios in fact it is the most quite fan in my case. The Hyper 212+ is virtually the same performance as the Hyper 212 EVO. The fan was swapped out in the EVO as was the lapping job is a bit better and all it added was a scant 2c better temp for more money. Negligible IMO give me the cheaper cooler whatever it may be. Gaia is on sale for -43% @ $20 down from $35 right now on Newegg so that's what I would get but at regular price the Hyper 212+ is $5 cheaper so that what i would get if the Gaia is at full price.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2013 1:26:06 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but a H100i will not fit into that case. I would go for a Hyper 212 Evo or a Xigmatek Dark Knight II
m
0
l
a c 79 à CPUs
April 24, 2013 1:39:54 PM

I run a CM 212 Evo (still stock single fan) and it keeps my 6300@ 4.5Ghz at 45c max after 24 hours of prime 95. Just for kicks I mounted 2 of my case fans to it (Sickle Flow 120's) and my max temp went down to 39c. 39c with a 1 Ghz overclock out of a $45 investment into an air cooler. Alot of these closed loop "supposed" liquid coolers will fail to cool as well even though they cost 2-4 times as much. No offense but I feel that closed loop systems are nothing more than gimmick so a guy can say he has a "liquid cooling system" Real custom loops make closed loops look like fischer price toy.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2013 4:00:37 PM

cmi86 said:
I run a CM 212 Evo (still stock single fan) and it keeps my 6300@ 4.5Ghz at 45c max after 24 hours of prime 95. Just for kicks I mounted 2 of my case fans to it (Sickle Flow 120's) and my max temp went down to 39c. 39c with a 1 Ghz overclock out of a $45 investment into an air cooler. Alot of these closed loop "supposed" liquid coolers will fail to cool as well even though they cost 2-4 times as much. No offense but I feel that closed loop systems are nothing more than gimmick so a guy can say he has a "liquid cooling system" Real custom loops make closed loops look like fischer price toy.


LOL! I bought a H50 because it was on sale at fry's. But later on, I realized how much of a waste of money it is. I could have bought a dope air cooler with better performance for the same price! I have agree with you. Hahaha!

m
0
l
April 24, 2013 4:06:49 PM

griptwister said:
cmi86 said:
I run a CM 212 Evo (still stock single fan) and it keeps my 6300@ 4.5Ghz at 45c max after 24 hours of prime 95. Just for kicks I mounted 2 of my case fans to it (Sickle Flow 120's) and my max temp went down to 39c. 39c with a 1 Ghz overclock out of a $45 investment into an air cooler. Alot of these closed loop "supposed" liquid coolers will fail to cool as well even though they cost 2-4 times as much. No offense but I feel that closed loop systems are nothing more than gimmick so a guy can say he has a "liquid cooling system" Real custom loops make closed loops look like fischer price toy.


LOL! I bought a H50 because it was on sale at fry's. But later on, I realized how much of a waste of money it is. I could have bought a dope air cooler with better performance for the same price! I have agree with you. Hahaha!


SO true !
m
0
l
!