This is my environment:
1) Asus laptop with 320GB HD
2) a no-name desktop computer without HD
My laptop HD is acting weird lately, this is what I'm thinking in doing:
1) buy an external 2 1/2" HD (750 or 1T)
2) open up the external HD, retrieve the bare HD and put it into my laptop
3) reformat my existing HD and put it into my desktop
I checked some stores here in Taiwan, it seems for the same size the external USB HD is cheaper than internal HD, this is why I'm thinking in buying an external USB HD instead of an internal one. Here are my questions:
1) is it easy to open an external USB HD?
2) which care should I take in order not to damage it and placing it into my laptop?
3) as far as I know, I can put a 2 1/2" HD into a desktop without any problem, but I might be wrong, before making any mistake, I'd like opinions/suggestion from you experts in HD/hardware.
4) any other care I should take to successfully complete my task?
5) any recommendation (preferably free or open source apps to test HD) to test my existing HD for bad sectors before reformatting it?
6) any recommendation on HD's brand?