Solved

Samsung 840 series 120Gb

I have a concern, having SSD they said can improve performance on booting up your system.

I used Samsung 840 series 120 Gb but booting up my system from cold boot takes time ( I mean I finish shower still the MOBO logo appears). I don't know if I had the correct settings.

boot option priority 1: Samsung ssd 120Gb
boot option 2 : disabled
boot option 3 : disabled.

I used Samsung 120 Gb for my OS and other application, office, motherboard drivers and have 23gb free.

Other SSD Adata 120 Gb where I installed my games. Seagate 7200 rpm 2Tb for general storage.


Please help what do I need to improve this.

specs:

cpu: core i5 3570k @4.2 Ghz
mobo: asrock z77 extreme6/tb4
gpu: evga GeForce gtx 680
psu : thermaltake 850watts
ram: 32Gb 1600mhz
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about samsung 840 series 120gb
  1. Best answer
    Your motherboard has 4 SATA 3 (6Gb/s) ports.
    Make sure your Samsung 840 and Adata SSDs are connected to the Intel 6Gb/s ports (SATA3_0 & SATA3_1), not the ASMedia 6Gb/s ports (SATA3_A1 & SATA3_A2).
    See page 14 of your motherboard manual for the location of the ports.

    Also double-check in BIOS that your ports are in AHCI mode.
  2. I see I will double check that one... is there any way I can see that if its that place without opening the case?
  3. janpatz1983 said:
    ... is there any way I can see that if its that place without opening the case?


    Download AS-SSD benchmark software. Open the program (not necessary to run the benchmark).
    Post a screenshot or write the info that's in the left rectangular box (next to the rectangular box that says "Read:").
  4. Dereck47 said:
    janpatz1983 said:
    ... is there any way I can see that if its that place without opening the case?


    Download AS-SSD benchmark software. Open the program (not necessary to run the benchmark).
    Post a screenshot or write the info that's in the left rectangular box (next to the rectangular box that says "Read:").


    You are right Derek I use the SATA Asmedia. so far working now. I will still install the SSD benchmark to show it to you. they are on AHCI also.

    How to attach photo in here? I don't have url
  5. No problem. No need to post the photo if you've verified that you're on the wrong ports.

    Once you have the SSDs on the Intel ports boot into BIOS and set "ASMedia SATA3 Mode" to disabled, and set "SATA Boot ROM" to disabled.
    See page 69 of your motherboard manual.

    It's possible that by disabling the ASMedia controller that your boot time will decrease.
  6. Dereck47 said:
    No problem. No need to post the photo if you've verified that you're on the wrong ports.

    Once you have the SSDs on the Intel ports boot into BIOS and set "ASMedia SATA3 Mode" to disabled, and set "SATA Boot ROM" to disabled.
    See page 69 of your motherboard manual.

    It's possible that by disabling the ASMedia controller that your boot time will decrease.


    How would i do that, what I did on the bios boot section. the boot priority option 1: samsung 840; option 2 disabled; option 3: disabled.
  7. Yes, you set your boot priority correctly. Now you want to turn off the ASMedia SATA ports if no drives are being connected to them. Page 69 will show you how to do that.
  8. Thanks so much dereck, I connected 2tb on that port SATA3_A1. My ssd now was connected to SATA3_0 and SATA3_1.
Ask a new question

Read More

Storage