Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

32 bit Program transfers to 64bit system

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
April 25, 2013 3:47:32 PM

I have a program "E Record" on my XP pro system and need to move it to my new win 7 pro system what do I do?
April 25, 2013 3:56:21 PM

Usualy 64bit OS can run 32bit software so you can transfer it safely. There are some limitations: drivers has to be 64bit ones (and programs that try to access hardware directly will fail on 64bit systems) and if you have an 32bit application all its plug-ins (and dll`s) must be 32bit (and in 64bit apps - all plug-ins must be 64bit)!

PS: Usualy 64bit systems have lots of RAM and that means that you can dump your XP installation onto a virtual machine. That transfer can be achieved with vmware convertor - for vmware virtual machines; or with disk imaging like Acronis TrueImage and then use that file in virtual machine.
m
0
l
a c 594 $ Windows 7
April 25, 2013 4:09:36 PM

Bobpry said:
I have a program "E Record" on my XP pro system and need to move it to my new win 7 pro system what do I do?


Can you provide a link to the homepage of this application?
m
0
l
Related resources
April 25, 2013 4:10:30 PM

Thanks for you answer
I used the win7 file transfer program but I find that the 'E record' program did move over and will not open properly I tried copy and paste and failed I also used the back up in the 'E record' program and put it on my stick. I keep getting an error message when I try to restore the data from my stick I for get the error for the moment I will have to do it again and note the error down
I don't want to loose my records and I still want to use the 'E record' accounting system for my BAS return
m
0
l
a c 594 $ Windows 7
April 25, 2013 4:21:00 PM

Before you do anything else, back up your current data. Now.

Now that the backup is safe, we can move on to getting the program up and running.
Can you download the install files again?
m
0
l
April 25, 2013 4:26:39 PM

USAFRet said:
Before you do anything else, back up your current data. Now.

Now that the backup is safe, we can move on to getting the program up and running.
Can you download the install files again?


I am not with the computer at the moment but I have backed up my data on my stick

it will be a couple of hours before I will be at the computer I am up grading sorry
m
0
l
a c 594 $ Windows 7
April 25, 2013 4:35:43 PM

OK...I'm not going to install this here locally, but...

It would be a sad accounting program that did not provide for exporting the data, and then importing from a backup or copy.

Backup or Export your current data
Download that installation zip file
Install it on your new PC
Whatever facility the program has, Import or Restore your old data
m
0
l
April 25, 2013 4:43:25 PM

USAFRet said:
OK...I'm not going to install this here locally, but...

It would be a sad accounting program that did not provide for exporting the data, and then importing from a backup or copy.

Backup or Export your current data
Download that installation zip file
Install it on your new PC
Whatever facility the program has, Import or Restore your old data


Thanks for that
I have just downloaded that zip file and I will install it and see how I go
I will do that to night when I have no interruptions There is in the program a back up and restore for the data and I have already done the back up on my stick
I will let you know to morrow thanks

m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 25, 2013 6:59:35 PM

Just in case there's any confusion:

1. Backup/Export data (in some cases you can Copy/Paste from the appropriate folder)
2. INSTALL the program onto Windows 7
3. Import

*Some people think "backup" means copying the entire program folder or a section of it from "My Documents" then just pasting it back. In some cases this may work, in others you have do the backup from WITHIN the program then import it TO the same program on the new PC.

I hope I didn't confuse the matter.

Your HELP file for the program should also explain how to backup and import (save and restore) your data.
m
0
l
April 25, 2013 7:20:34 PM

You guys are so helpful thanks
m
0
l
!