64 or 128 GB SSD for media server?

zengal

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
I'm building a new media server running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 with 8 GB of RAM. I have a 64 GB SSD I want to use as a boot disk. I'm not running anything else on the media server like Plex or XBMC but I might want to someday. Is 64 GB enough room? I also have a 128 GB SSD I'm using on my HTPC also running Windows 7 Home Premium x 64 that I'm only using 40 GB of. Should I swap them?

ThomasJ93

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
64GB should be plenty if you're not using it for storage and only a few programs you might be running.

I had a home server running Server 2008 R2 and also Exchange Server on a 64GB SSD and didn't run into any problems.

G

If you are just using the drive as a boot disk with only the OS on it and another HDD for storing your content, then the 64 GB drive has enough room. Actually, either should be fine for either PC. If one drive is faster than the other, say one is SATA II and the other is SATA III, then use the faster drive on the HTPC and the slower on the media server. That is assuming you will be keeping the media center on all the time and turning the HTPC on and off. Of course, this also depends on whether both your PCs are SATA III compatible.

Also, I have XBMC on several PCs in my house and it is minuscule in size. The whole program including all the add-ons I installed (10 or so) totals just under 100 MB.