580 GTX, is this a good price?Also can an Extreme 6 fit 3 of them...

i'm not so for a gtx 680 (hd 7970 is vheaper and the same) but the price seems sort off right for a 4 gb card. I have a question for you what do you do on your pc because 3 is a bit to much and for gaming a 2gb version will do the trick just fine. Sorry to say it but it won't fit 3 because between the second pci-e port there is only one slot. If you can get a thineer version than that will do the trick. o and do you already have one off them or so?

resin34

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Why do you need 3 680's? normally one will be fine. unless you are playing o multiple monitors with thigh resolution you dont need that. also get one or 2 7970 if you want to play with high resolution.

foster74

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
I am buying everything right now. I am afraid of CrossfireX right now, with all the stuttering/runt frame/low actual frame reports. It has turned me off to them for now. I am planning on running the games I can 7680x1440, and the rest at 2560x1440. That's too bad about them not fitting. :( I do not have any yet, was just about to order something. The mobo arrives tomorrow.

Is it a mistake to buy two of the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC and sandwich in between them? Hmmm.

just go with a dual slot 7970 x2 the crossfire x problems are not that big even nvidia has those problems. Just use the latsest beta drivers from amd and you will be perfectly fine and if you ever wish you could put 3 off them in there but 2 is enough but if i where you i would pick a 3gb version of the 7970 ghz or non ghz edition

That Gigabyte GTX 680 is a good price for a 4GB card. It sounds like you've done some research on the topic and so you know that Crossfire is literally broken with frame metering/frame latency issues, and the usual AMD driver problems where some games just plain won't work.

It seems like you are aware of this, but to reiterate:

Quote:
"However, we've also seen many games that do not scale well, and they make up a significant portion of our tests. Out of eighteen titles, five did not scale, or worse, showed negative scaling. These are not small titles, but big AAA games: Assassin's Creed 3, Batman: Arkham City, F1 2012, StarCraft II, Skyrim, and World of Warcraft. What really surprises me is that this long list is the same as the one we had with our reviews of HD 7990 "New Zealand" implementations by board partners, like the ASUS ROG ARES II and PowerColor Devil 13. So either AMD does not care or can't fix CrossFire support with these games millions of people play."
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7990/31.html

Quote:
"Where AMD has definite issues is with HD 7970s in CrossFire, and our Frame Rating testing is bringing that to light in a startling fashion. In half of our tested games, the pair of Radeon HD 7970s in CrossFire showed no appreciable measured or observed increase in performance compared to a single HD 7970. I cannot overstate that point more precisely: our results showed that in Battlefield 3, Crysis 3 and Sleeping Dogs, adding in another $400+ Radeon HD 7970 did nothing to improve your gaming experience, and in some cases made it worse by introducing frame time variances that lead to stutter. Take a look at some of our graphs on those game pages and compare the FRAPS FPS result to the Observed FPS result that calculates an average frame rate per second after removing runts and drops. Clearly the performance of the dual-card configuration is only barely faster than the single card, removing the “scaling” of CrossFire."
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-Dissected-Full-Details-Capture-based-Graphics-Performance-Tes-12

Quote:
"Quite simply, AMD CrossFire is the stutterer in the room. We have talked about this issue in every CrossFire versus SLI evaluation we have published for years now. We are pleased to say it felt like stuttering has been lessened a bit with AMD CrossFire. However, it is still very much a reality with Catalyst 13.5 Beta2 on Radeon HD 7990 and 7970 GHz Edition CrossFire. First of all, we experienced no difference in stuttering between the single-card Radeon HD 7990 and two-card Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition CrossFire. The amount of stutter or inconsistency felt the same between both configurations while gaming."

"We did feel a smoothness difference between AMD CrossFire versus NVIDIA SLI. Let me describe a moment I had while gaming on GeForce GTX 680 SLI in Crysis 3 during this evaluation... It was a fluid and immersive gaming experience. The game to me felt like it was playing at 40-50 FPS. Finishing up the run-through I stopped FRAPS and it read an average of 33 FPS.

I was in awe. It felt smooth, really smooth, it felt like it was running at a faster framerate than it really was. If not for some minor lag throughout the run-through, I would have called that very high setting playable based on the experience alone, without looking at the framerate. It was a shock to see the framerate so low, I really thought it was higher as I was playing. This kind of smoothness we often experience with NVIDIA SLI. This cannot be said for AMD CrossFire. It stuttered badly at very high settings and you knew, you could feel it that it wasn't playable as it negatively affected the overall gameplay and immersion. While this is a broad statement, it stands up fairly well even though there are differences using different game engines: It takes higher framerates to get a smoother experience with CrossFire than with SLI."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/04/24/amd_radeon_hd_7990_video_card_review/9#.UXwRJuChDFI

david cassar

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
^+1 crossfire is suffering a lot from latencys and don't beleive any fanboys who are saying that it is better than sli.
In the hd 7990 review of toms they did the pepsi challenge(random people playing) and they all agreed that the gtx 690 was smoother in gameplay.

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
With those resolutions the 7970s would be the best bet, unless you plan on SLI with Titans, but I doubt you're ready to spend 2k on GPUs right now (Just my guess...). 384 Bit Architecture is a major advantage over the 670/680s. Yea Crossfire is struggling atm, but at the rate AMD's driver team is going they'll have it fixed in no time. As previously stated, the 13.5 Beta drivers seem to have solved most of those issues. On a side note(IF you stick with Nvidia), you would get much better bang for your buck with 2 670s instead of 680s. You pay an extra $100 for the 680s and get less than 10% improvement in performance.

EDIT: I certainly prefer AMD over Nvidia, but I have nothing against Nvidia. I have put them in multiple builds for friends and recommended them to plenty others. But people need to remember that several of the testing software out there is Nvidia Optimized software... However, others certainly aren't.

Airm3n-1292454

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Stick with the 4 gig cards if you plan to do multimonitor setups. You will need it. That and looking at the picture those last two slots are quite a bit closer so you had best make sure its got room at the bottom of your case. You will want something good to get a lot of airflow in there. As well with the resolution you are running at you might want to consider 2x titans to get something in the range of playable with decent detail settings. I have 1 titan running at 5760x1080 and it runs everything on high details and max aa except for crysis 3 which I have to drop the AA down to medium or lower. So with you at a considerable higher resolution you may want the extra vram and horsepower to run your stuff.

i Totaly agree with you and yes the 670s have a lot better price/ performance than the 680 but the 7950 still is better than an 670 and an 7970 is better than a 680 (these things are facts just look at ben
chmarks)

david cassar

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

the hd 7950 isn't better than a gtx 670. If the hd 7950 would be better than a gtx 670 it would become an hd 7970.
perfrel_1920.gif

RussK1

Splendid