My i5-3450 is underclocked?

Gatortribe

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2012
I've been getting pretty bad performance in games so I upgraded to a competent power supply. While that has helped, I still noticed my CPU is being down clocked. Its rated at 3.1GHz to 3.5GHz turbo, but its at a max of 2.8GHz. Speed step might be disabled (saw no option for it). Here is an image. http://www.imgur.com/vzAWsxy.jpeg

What can I do to get it running at peak performance once again?

Gatortribe

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2012

Right now, sitting in the bios, its idling at 73c

barto

Expert
Ambassador

As animal pointed out, make sure you don't have the S version. However, you do have an issue. 73 is hot for idle. It would be in the low 40s. You need to check and make sure the CPU fan is on. It wouldn't be a bad idea to reapply thermal paste.

Gatortribe

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2012
That temperature was in the BIOS, now that I am back in windows it is 50c idle. Also, windows and CPU-Z have conflicting values for the frequency?
RscVoGc.png

Gatortribe

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2012
I guess no one knows what to do? Anyway I updated the BIOS and now Windows 8 is giving me the 0xC000021A STOP error, so I can't do anything now.

EDIT: Seems like the BIOS update fixed it. If anyone knows what to do about the STOP error, it'd be greatly appreciated.
EDIT 2: Everything is back to normal. But I'll look into re-applying thermal paste. Thanks anyways guys/gals.