$1500 First Build Advice - Photoshop and Gaming

iamcreach

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Hey everyone,

I've been reading the Toms Hardware forums for a while now and it has been a huge help in picking components for my first build. This will be used primarily for creating artwork but also for gaming. I would like to run both Windows 7 and OSX and have selected the parts accordingly, referencing Tonymacx86 for compatibility. Eventually I plan to switch 100% to Windows. The hackmac is mostly for saving money on software in the short term. The parts and the questionnaire from the 'How to Ask for a New Build' sticky are listed below. I feel I've done a solid amount of research on this, but I'd really like a second opinion from the experienced community here.

Thanks!

CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory
Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory X2 (32GB)

Storage
Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card

Wireless Network Adapter
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Case
Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply

Optical Drive
Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Approximate Purchase Date: This week.

Budget Range: About $1500. Willing to spend more or less if it makes a huge difference.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Design and Painting (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.), web development, gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes … Windows 7 64Bit Professional to take advantage of 32GB RAM. I use a tablet and mouse for work, and I am not interested in the touch interface of Windows 8, unless someone makes a good case for it.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon (prime member), but any site in the US with reliable customer service and good prices is fine.

Parts Preferences: No brand preference, as long as it is of good quality.

Overclocking: Yes, minimal.

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Questions:

Storage:
What is the best way to run both OSX and Windows? I'd like to be able to run the two independently, but be able to access PSD files from both OSes. The idea is to lessen the financial blow of building a PC and buying CS6 at full price within the same month (sadly I am no long eligible for the student discount). Eventually I plan to switch 100% to Windows on this machine. What is the best configuration? SSD for programs and system, HDD for file storage?

CPU Coolers:
The cooler I've selected (Cooler Master 212 EVO) is not on the recommended Tonymacx86 list. Will this cause a problem when booting to OSX? I have no problem putting up more money for liquid cooling if it will make a difference, but from my research that does not seem to be the case. I don't plan to overclock the CPU that much.

List for reference -
Corsair H60 (Water)
Thermaltake Performer (Water)
Thermaltake Slim X3 LP (Air)
Thermaltake Frio (Air)
ARCTIC Freezer i30 Extreme (Air)

Case:
Does anyone have any experience working with this case (550D)? I plan on using it for future builds and upgrades, and read a few gripes here and there about the recessed MOBO space. In general I really like the looks/build quality and the features it offers.

Pretty sure that is it. If you think I am spending too much or being too cheap in certain areas please let me know. Any advice is appreciated. I plan on ordering early this coming week. Thanks again in advance!

iamcreach

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Great, thank you.

I think I might take advantage of that deal, more for the better PSU. I was sort of partial to the 550D because I'm going to be looking at this thing for years, but the 500R is solid. Better value overall.

Also if you or anyone can confirm if my current setup makes sense for its intended use (mostly painting in photoshop, vector graphics, etc... mostly 2D graphic creation but also some gaming) I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again.