Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

External HDD has corrupt MBR how do I fix it

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 28, 2013 4:26:16 AM

I have a 1 TB HDD which I am running from an external dock. it doesn't show up in windows explorer, so I checked it with third party software (a partition manager) and it shows up as unallocated space, but it won't let me make any changes to it. No formatting or anything. The program says that the MBR needs to be fixed. how can I do that. There isn't any data on the HDD that isn't backed up so it's ok if I need to format it.
a b G Storage
April 28, 2013 4:38:48 AM

kiksteyn said:
I have a 1 TB HDD which I am running from an external dock. it doesn't show up in windows explorer, so I checked it with third party software (a partition manager) and it shows up as unallocated space, but it won't let me make any changes to it. No formatting or anything. The program says that the MBR needs to be fixed. how can I do that. There isn't any data on the HDD that isn't backed up so it's ok if I need to format it.


Try this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair/ Great little program.

Mark
m
0
l
a c 84 G Storage
April 28, 2013 4:52:43 AM

Does it show in disk management?
m
0
l
Related resources
April 28, 2013 4:59:42 AM

noidea_77 said:
Does it show in disk management?


No it doesn't
m
0
l
April 28, 2013 5:05:14 AM

I looked at that boot repair tool, but it's for ubuntu and I'm running Win7, I do have ubuntu but it's on the disk I'm trying to fix!!




m
0
l
April 28, 2013 5:09:53 AM

Can you download a bootable Ubuntu cd/dvd image. Boot off the disk and do the repairs.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 84 G Storage
April 28, 2013 5:16:20 AM

kiksteyn said:
noidea_77 said:
Does it show in disk management?


No it doesn't

Next chance is to download the analyses tool from the hdd manufacturer site. A bad or missing mbr should not prevent the disk from showing in disk management. Can you eliminate the dock by connecting the disk to the mobo?
Share
April 28, 2013 5:24:57 AM

noidea_77 said:
kiksteyn said:
noidea_77 said:
Does it show in disk management?


No it doesn't

Next chance is to download the analyses tool from the hdd manufacturer site. A bad or missing mbr should not prevent the disk from showing in disk management. Can you eliminate the dock by connecting the disk to the mobo?


tried 2 different docks both work with other HDDs. Cant connect to mobo, don't have a desktop and it's a 3.5" HDD. already tried the analysis tool from seagate, it doesn't read the disk.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
April 28, 2013 5:53:40 AM

kiksteyn said:
I looked at that boot repair tool, but it's for ubuntu and I'm running Win7, I do have ubuntu but it's on the disk I'm trying to fix!!






kiksteyn:

Boot repair is an iso and will boot directly from a usb stick. It provides its own linux os on the usb. I always keep a usb with tools on it for problems like this. Download yumi (here) and then download the boot disk iso and load it through yumi. Reboot to usb, choose boot repair 64bit and away you go.

Mark
m
0
l
April 28, 2013 6:11:03 AM

Awsome! thanks, will try this and get back to you
m
0
l
April 28, 2013 6:30:14 AM

I sorted it. tried the newest version of the seagate diagnostic and repair and it worked!

m
0
l
!