Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

is Seasonic S12II 430 Watts PSU the best pick for this spec

Last response: in Components
Share
April 28, 2013 9:55:47 AM

my current config intel core2duo E8400 3ghz
asus p5kvm
xfx 9500gt
500gb seagate hdd
optical drive
2x2gb ddr2 800mhz transcend ram
the specs are my current cpu but i will upgrade my platform to a powerful one like
intel core i5(haswell)
2x4gb ddr3 1600mhz
nvidia gtx 660 2gb
ssd 128gb
500gb hdd
optical drive
sorry for posting an another same thread since i didn't get any proper answers for my previous thread i'm posting a new one.don't know how to delete the old one .
a b ) Power supply
a b å Intel
April 28, 2013 9:59:38 AM

Yes it will be fine. Sea Sonic is the best
a b ) Power supply
April 28, 2013 10:00:31 AM

Probably not. A 500-550w would work wonders, though.
Related resources
April 28, 2013 10:03:08 AM

The S12II will be plenty for your new build. Haswell and Kepler use very little power. It will also be reliable and efficient in the process.

The only way I would suggest more is if you were planning to add a second graphics card down the road.
April 29, 2013 6:00:00 AM

JD88 said:
The S12II will be plenty for your new build. Haswell and Kepler use very little power. It will also be reliable and efficient in the process.

The only way I would suggest more is if you were planning to add a second graphics card down the road.


i also saw an another deal which is corsair cx 500 it's 3 bucks higher than seasonic 430watts cx 500 offers more power in 12v rail and it has under voltage protection which seasonic doesn't have i'm living in a country where there is plenty of low voltage problems so which i can go?
a b ) Power supply
a b å Intel
April 29, 2013 8:31:07 AM

vishalaestro said:
JD88 said:
The S12II will be plenty for your new build. Haswell and Kepler use very little power. It will also be reliable and efficient in the process.

The only way I would suggest more is if you were planning to add a second graphics card down the road.


i also saw an another deal which is corsair cx 500 it's 3 bucks higher than seasonic 430watts cx 500 offers more power in 12v rail and it has under voltage protection which seasonic doesn't have i'm living in a country where there is plenty of low voltage problems so which i can go?


How low does your voltage drop? Most SeaSonic power supplies will still hit their 80PLUS ratings at 100 volts RMS. Unless you're suffering from serious brownouts I wouldn't worry too much about undervoltage protection
April 30, 2013 9:30:41 PM

Pinhedd said:
vishalaestro said:
JD88 said:
The S12II will be plenty for your new build. Haswell and Kepler use very little power. It will also be reliable and efficient in the process.

The only way I would suggest more is if you were planning to add a second graphics card down the road.


i also saw an another deal which is corsair cx 500 it's 3 bucks higher than seasonic 430watts cx 500 offers more power in 12v rail and it has under voltage protection which seasonic doesn't have i'm living in a country where there is plenty of low voltage problems so which i can go?


How low does your voltage drop? Most SeaSonic power supplies will still hit their 80PLUS ratings at 100 volts RMS. Unless you're suffering from serious brownouts I wouldn't worry too much about undervoltage protection



my input voltage is 180v at day time but decreases even further to 140-150v at night time .an i think i will wait to buy a new psu coz just now i heard the news that haswell has compatibility problems with older psu so waiting for a new psu model supporting haswell see the news http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Haswell-PSU-Powe...
a b ) Power supply
a b å Intel
May 1, 2013 1:01:16 PM

vishalaestro said:
Pinhedd said:
vishalaestro said:
JD88 said:
The S12II will be plenty for your new build. Haswell and Kepler use very little power. It will also be reliable and efficient in the process.

The only way I would suggest more is if you were planning to add a second graphics card down the road.


i also saw an another deal which is corsair cx 500 it's 3 bucks higher than seasonic 430watts cx 500 offers more power in 12v rail and it has under voltage protection which seasonic doesn't have i'm living in a country where there is plenty of low voltage problems so which i can go?


How low does your voltage drop? Most SeaSonic power supplies will still hit their 80PLUS ratings at 100 volts RMS. Unless you're suffering from serious brownouts I wouldn't worry too much about undervoltage protection



my input voltage is 180v at day time but decreases even further to 140-150v at night time .an i think i will wait to buy a new psu coz just now i heard the news that haswell has compatibility problems with older psu so waiting for a new psu model supporting haswell see the news http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Haswell-PSU-Powe...


180 volts peak during the day? That is a bit high, shouldn't swing above 170 in most places. 150 will still operate, but 140 might cause the PSU to fail under extreme load conditions. HardOCP tests PSUs under 120Vrms and 100Vrms so check out their reviews
a c 1098 ) Power supply
a b å Intel
May 1, 2013 3:15:21 PM

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector. MSI GeForce GTX 660 HAWK 2 GB requires two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Seasonic S12II-430 Bronze (SS-430GB), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card.
a c 1098 ) Power supply
a b å Intel
May 1, 2013 4:05:40 PM

vishalaestro said:
my input voltage is 180v at day time but decreases even further to 140-150v at night time .an i think i will wait to buy a new psu coz just now i heard the news that haswell has compatibility problems with older psu so waiting for a new psu model supporting haswell see the news http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Haswell-PSU-Powe...


The only Seasonic PSU on Intel's list that supports the 12V2 Min-load 0A spec is the Seasonic SSP-550RT (OEM).

The only other PSUs that meet the 12V2 Min-load 0A spec that are currently on Intel's list are:

Corsair Model Number
CX750 (SKU# 75-001447 / CP-9020015)
CX750M (SKU# 75-002019 / CP-9020061)
GS600 (SKU# 75-001181 / CP-9020012)
GS700 (SKU# 75-001182 / CP-9020013)
GS800 (SKU# 75-001183 / CP-9020014)
TX650 (SKU# 75-001315 / CP-9020038)
TX650M (SKU# 75-001316 / CP-9020002)
TX750 (SKU# 75-001309 / CP-9020042)
TX750M (SKU# 75-001310 / CP-909020040)
TX850 (SKU# 75-001311 / CP-9020043)
TX850M (SKU# 75-001312 / CP-9020041)
HX750 (SKU# 75-001218 / CP-9020031)
HX850 (SKU# 75-001219 / CP-9020032)
HX1050 (SKU# 75-001220 / CP-9020033)
AX760 (SKU# 75-001304 / CP-9020045)
AX860 (SKU# 75-001305 / CP-9020046)
AX760i (SKU# 75-001302 / CP-9020036)
AX860i (SKU# 75-001303 / CP-9020037)
AX1200i (SKU# 75-000784 / CP-9020008)

InWin IP-S-Series GQ
IP-S300GQ3-2
IP-S350GQ3-2
IP-S400GQ3-2
May 1, 2013 4:18:31 PM

From what I've read this Issue isn't that big of an deal as it sounds. Unfortunately Google won't translate it (not an english source) https://www.computerbase.de/news/2013-04/haswell-mit-ne...

Interesting points for example are:
Single v12 Rails are most likely not affected
Seasonic G-Series, X-Series und Platinum-Series are confirmed to be compatible
a c 1098 ) Power supply
a b å Intel
May 1, 2013 4:36:02 PM

This is the Google translation of that article:

Quote:
ComputerBase

Date: 30.04.2013 23:11

Much excitement, little substance
Haswell with new demands on power supplies

According to a report from VR-Zone about new requirements of Intel's upcoming CPU generation Haswell many details are still unclear. However, many current power supplies already meet the requirements now circulated.

While numerous media fear that for Haswell systems or the new C6/C7-Energiesparmodi adapted, possibly specially certified power supplies would be needed, there is currently no reliable evidence for it. VR-Zone assumes that power supplies for the future platform even at 0.05 ampere rating instead of 0.5 amps on the +12 volt secondary line must deliver stable voltages. However, this does not mean new requirement that current power supplies Haswell systems can not provide.

First, according to Robert Pearce from Corsair compared to The Tech Report, it is assumed that the new energy saving modes will be optional and the motherboard can be disabled with problems in the BIOS / UEFI. Secondly, very few brands power supplies will be affected by stability problems in the opinion of some industry insiders at our request:

1 Unlike communicated by Intel and many magazines, the assignment of the second +12 V lines is not solely a matter of course for P4/P8-CPU-Anschluss. In many current power supplies is chosen a different distribution, so that in addition to the processor and other components from the second 12-volt line will be supplied. In this case, it is quite possible that all of these devices track even in idle mode together achieve the 0.5 amp limit. Instead of a 0.05-amp lower limit for the secondary 12-volt line is in fact a minimum load on a single plug.

2 All known DC-DC power supplies work absolutely fine without load on the +12 V rail. This - some selling for several years - now the products meet unofficially discussed innovations.

3 For all single-rail power supplies, there are basically only a common +12 V lines for all connections. The problem is that the load only one rail is too low, therefore can not occur due to technical reasons.

4 Overall, the feared compatibility problem may even merely academic. All we know currently offered multi-rail power supplies have only isolated secure lines, but which are fed from the same transformer. What +12- volt line is actually charged is irrelevant at low loads. Power supplies with separate power generation per track actually are no longer manufactured for years for reasons of cost, so that all market-relevant devices behave with respect to this portion of the specification analogous to a single-rail power supply.

If the changes to the requirements for the power supply to meet present reports, almost all power supplies will also be suitable for Haswell systems. Should the change, however, affect more in the form of a particularly low overall power consumption on all +12 volt lines, most existing power supplies will also get along well with it. The often expressed fear that in newly formed Haswell computers or upgrade to the new platform-specific generation costs for power supplies would schedule appears very rarely apply at least to the facts currently available.

Some manufacturers have also been given official assurances compatibility for their products. In previous statements to restrict the release of DC-DC power supplies. Enermax certifies its Revolution Series 85 +, 87 +, Pro / Modu 87 +, MaxRevo, Platimax, Triathlor FC and Triathlor (from 385 watts) smooth function. Sea Sonic confirmed on request from the computer base compatibility of G-Series, X-Series and Platinum Series, Antec High Current Pro can of Platinum, True Power Gold, and Platinum EarthWatts High Current Gamer M. Corsair so far, the GS series, TX, HX, AX and AXi release. Currently, the development departments working on the review of other product lines.
May 5, 2013 6:45:50 AM

so should i wait for a new model psu that's capable of supporting haswell energy efficient model?because electricity consumption is very much important in my country as we even do not have enough current to turn on a tubelight sometimes due to very low voltage.and i hate coil whine so i need to choose a psu which does not create coil whine till it's lifetime.
!