Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Overclocking my Phenom II a bit more...

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 29, 2013 12:33:36 PM

My specs are:

AM3 Phenom II 805 x4 2.5Ghz 4mb L3
2x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 1333Mhz
2x 2gb DDR3 Samsung 1333Mhz

Stock clocks and voltages:

200Mhz FSB
2000Mhz HT and NB
1.32v CPU
1.5v RAM
1.2v CPU-NB

Currently I am running stable:

FSB @ 280Mhz,
HT Link & NB @ 2240Mhz, & CPU-NB @ 1.25v
CPU @ 3.50Ghz @ 1.42v (AMD's Safe Maximum) & 2Mb of cache unlocked
RAM @ 1120Mhz @ 8,8,8,20,30 timings @ 1.6v @ 1:2 ratio

Because this is not a black edition chip, the multi will not go higher than 12.5x (default). It can be lowered however, not that it helps.

Is there anything I can do to squeeze a little more out of my setup?
April 29, 2013 12:43:24 PM

Well what are you using for cooling, you can actually go up to 1.5 Volts as long as the core temps don't go over 62C. Phenoms love voltage increases, I had mine running at 1.5V at 4.2Ghz a while ago, now I am running the FX line up...what are you running the ram at?
m
0
l
April 29, 2013 1:06:30 PM

Well I would not push it a because that chip is anemic and OCking will not fix that or make it much better. I suggest new CPU and mobo.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 29, 2013 1:15:57 PM

bluebob951 said:
Well what are you using for cooling, you can actually go up to 1.5 Volts as long as the core temps don't go over 62C. Phenoms love voltage increases, I had mine running at 1.5V at 4.2Ghz a while ago, now I am running the FX line up...what are you running the ram at?


I am using a Cooler Master N520 with push-pull fans. Prime95 blend pushes the cpu between 55c~58c. I just said what the ram is running at lol "RAM @ 1120Mhz @ 8,8,8,20,30 timings @ 1.6v @ 1:2 ratio"or @ 560Mhz.

Duke Nucome said:
Well I would not push it a because that chip is anemic and OCking will not fix that or make it much better. I suggest new CPU and mobo.


What do you mean? 3.5Ghz coming from 2.5Ghz is a 40% OC, which is quite substantial. Also, you don't even know what Mobo I have. Therefore, your argument is invalid.
m
0
l
April 29, 2013 1:40:10 PM

Oh yeah lol, not paying attention... You could loosen the timings of the ram that might help...and actually setting the multiplier down to 12 might help get your FSB higher, as i recall even numbers are better for overclocking...so maybe try X12 at like 300FSB for 3.6Ghz? you could try...
m
0
l
April 29, 2013 1:59:35 PM

bluebob951 said:
Oh yeah lol, not paying attention... You could loosen the timings of the ram that might help...and actually setting the multiplier down to 12 might help get your FSB higher, as i recall even numbers are better for overclocking...so maybe try X12 at like 300FSB for 3.6Ghz? you could try...


That is where my trouble is. For some reason this cpu refuses to go 300fsb. for testing, I tried doing a multi of 10x and 300 fsb (3.0Ghz) and it doesn't post. If I go 300fsb on 12.5 it doesn't post.

8,8,8 is actually somewhat loose for ram running @ 560Mhz, considering my 1333 (667) runs 9,9,9.
m
0
l
April 29, 2013 5:47:38 PM

Interesting story..

I tried for 3.60ghz @ 288 FSB

So I bumped the vcore to 1.45v, p95 bsod in about 3 mins, then bumped it to 1.47v and bsod 7~ minutes, then bumped to v1.5 and it bsod in about 15 mins.

Then I did IBT and it bsod with a memory code. So I took out one of the samsung sticks. All cores failed in P95 within 2 mins but no bsod.

Any ideas? Ima go back to my original OC now.
m
0
l
April 29, 2013 6:49:46 PM

Rageincoming said:
Interesting story..

I tried for 3.60ghz @ 288 FSB

So I bumped the vcore to 1.45v, p95 bsod in about 3 mins, then bumped it to 1.47v and bsod 7~ minutes, then bumped to v1.5 and it bsod in about 15 mins.

Then I did IBT and it bsod with a memory code. So I took out one of the samsung sticks. All cores failed in P95 within 2 mins but no bsod.

Any ideas? Ima go back to my original OC now.


Phenoms don't like 4 slots filled of memory they are picky about them. Well I guess you are just stuck with a bad chip, and hey 3.5Ghz is pretty good for a multiplier locked phenom...

m
0
l
!