670 vs 680: What about the current drivers?

David Wicks

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
I'm still trying to find out if I should go with a GTX 670 or a GTX 680. Everything I read is from last year, and I cannot find anything about the CURRENT drivers and if the current drivers for the 680 make the card actually worth buying now.

So that's my question. All these benchmarks and discussions come from after the 670 was released, and it could overclock to better than a 680. But I want to know, since the drivers have been updated since then, is the 680 worth it now?

The improvements from the last two rounds of driver updates have been substantial but they have pretty much been "across the board". the best way to judge whether they are worth buying is price changes. To my view, twin 660 Ti's are a better buy than a single 680

All these benchmarks and discussions come from after the 670 was released, and it could overclock to better than a 680

Much like when a new driver comes out for one manufacturer, you will see lots of "with the new drivers, this card is faster now". However, what's almost never mentioned was that ya can overclock a 680 too and the other company has new drivers too.

David Wicks

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013

So what you're saying is, yes drivers have got better but not just for the 680 specifically, but both? So the performance gap is the same now as it was before?

314.22 drivers.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7990/25.html
perfrel_1920.gif

Based on that level of performance and the current Newegg prices, here is the Performance per Dollar ratio.
perfdollar_1920.gif