New 7970, PC boots to windows but no video

Zuriki

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
I just installed a new AMD Radeon 7970 HD into my computer (custom built) but I'm not getting any video on it. It's powered with 2 6pin cables. I can hear the computer boot all the way into windows but there is nothing on my display the entire way through.

Specs:
Gigabyte p55m-ud2 motherboard
Antec 500W EA-500D PSU
Intel i5-750 CPU w/ CoolMaster Heatsink
8GB RipJaw DDR3 RAM (dual-channel)
AMD Radeon HD 7970 GPU
2x SATA HDDs
1x IDE DVD drive

I'm going to go out on a limb and say my PSU is probably not powerful enough but I wanted to get a second opinion before I go buck wild on my computer.

PS. For what its worth, all the fans are spinning. And the card is plugged into a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot.

nao1120

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I had a similar issue with a 6950. I was kind of thinking something was wrong with the card itself. Then i thought, Why not try the "other" DVI port. And sure enough that's what it was. If you have a second DVI port, try that. HDMI capable monitor, try that HDMI port. Failing that and it seems to be booting and posting.... and all power connections are attached to the video card i would:

Disconnect all optical/hard drives and leave power only to video card. Test booting. If fails:
Disconnect video card, remove/re-seat and re-connect. Test again. If fails...
Consider testing another power supply if all the above incl the testing of the second DVI/HDMI ports weren't tested.

These are hard to rule out. Lastly...Bring it in to a hardware place to quickly test the card in another unit.

No. The two pins provide an addtional 12v line and ground. If you're using a six pin, you are probably not getting the voltage needed. Some cards will also not operate if all required pins are not in place.

7970's can draw upwards of 240w - your psu has ~44 amps available (~450w), and I don't think the rest of your system is pulling 200w, but it is kinda close IMO. That psu does come with 1x6pin and 1x6+2pin - put the 6+2 in correctly and see if it goes.

Mark

Zuriki

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

I can't find any cables marked PCI-E with either 8 or 6+2 pin connections. I only have 2x 6pin PCI-E, an unmarked 4-pin, and an 8-pin plugged into the CPU power in the motherboard. I'm also pretty sure all my peripherals are using 4-pin connections, but it's difficult to tell because that was all set up with the LEDs before I got my grubby mitts on it.

Edit: Ok I was looking and it seems my DVD drive is connected using a molex adapter. Since I very rarely use it, I wouldn't mind losing it, could I connect my graphics card up with that?

molex_pci-e.jpg

This.

Zuriki

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Can't edit above post on my phone.

Ok so I think I've established that the above adapter won't work. But now I'm considering getting a Molex to 8pin adapter or 6pin to 8pin adapter. Will either of those supply enough power to the GPU? I'd like to avoid getting a new PSU at all costs, the graphics card costs enough on its own tyvm :p

Zuriki

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Trust me, I don't. I have pulled out all of the wires, I have 2x 6-pin PCI-E power cables instead of just 1, and no 6+2-pin cables. I will need an adapter.