7950 atikmpag.sys BSOD (code 0x116) issues

Apothem

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
So I've been having this intermittent drivers issue with my 3x 7950 setup. I am NOT running these in crossfire, but separately with no crossfire cable running or anything.

When I first ran into this issue, I figured it was a graphics card, and meticulously went through and test them all. Found that a specific graphics card was causing the issue (from what I could tell), and got a replacement.

Upon removing the problem card, everything went back to normal during the time I was waiting for this replacement.

As part of troubleshooting, I made sure to use a clean installation of win7 with the most recent drivers from AMD's website. There is no overclocking of any kind occurring with this hardware.

After the replacement came in, I installed the fresh card, and I'm still having problems. I've really tried everything, minus a BIOS update on the mobo. The weird thing about all of this is that I do NOT get this BSOD or driver failure issues when there are only 2 cards running in the computer. The second I put in the third, it crashes after about 10 minutes of running anything at full load off of the card.

Also, as a side note, the errors I'm getting are always the following:

1) "The video driver has stopped responding but has been recovered"

or

2) I get a BSOD with error code 0x116 with a fault within the atikmpag.sys driver.

Other things I've tried-
+turning off catalyst control center to see if it makes a difference
+reinstalling EVERYTHING multiple times. I am POSITIVE I have a correct installation within the hard drive with ALL drivers present and properly copied.
+Older versions of the drivers for the cards. I made sure to put them on clean installations of windows every time I've tried. (Yea yea, I know there's driversweeper, but this is just easier to do imo and promises the same results every time)

Hardware:

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa UD5 Rev3.0 Motherboard (BIOS version: "FA")
VGA card: Gigabyte HD 7950 3GB edition (GV-R795WF3-3GD)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core

Any suggestions or potential causes would be appreciated. Also detailed information on the driver issue in question and related information dealing with this specific error code would also be instrumental.

Jakko

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
I had this issue myself, the solution is use Driver Sweeper to get rid of AMD software, then install latest AMD driver. When you install the driver, choose custom install not express, and un-tick Catalyst Control Centre so you still get all the proper drivers, you'll just have to OC with MSI Afterburner or something.
Win 32bit Driver - http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Window...
Win 64bit Driver - http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Window...
MSI Afterburner - http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm