Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

How do I reformat my drive?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
April 30, 2013 2:21:31 PM

I HAD Win 7 on it. It has been wiped clean. There is no drive letter designation for it. Utilities on Hiren's CD see it but I can't find any utility on there that will actually format it. They will wipe and create partitions but nothing (that I can find) will format.
Thanks

More about : reformat drive

a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2013 2:28:33 PM

Why do you want to format it? To install windows again? Then delete the partitions and just install it! Windows will do the partitioning and the format for you.
m
0
l
April 30, 2013 4:45:45 PM

noidea_77 said:
Why do you want to format it? To install windows again? Then delete the partitions and just install it! Windows will do the partitioning and the format for you.

The drive has been wiped clean (no partitions) and there is no drive designation for it. I have to boot off the Hiren CD.

m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2013 4:51:28 PM

Sorry, but i still don't get, what you are trying to achieve. So you don't want to install an os? You don't need a "designation" for anything.
m
0
l
May 1, 2013 5:19:19 AM

noidea_77 said:
Sorry, but i still don't get, what you are trying to achieve. So you don't want to install an os? You don't need a "designation" for anything.


I've had a problem with this PC to begin with. When Win would start to load it would just hang. So I have been trying everything to get it to work. I ran diagnotics on the drive and memory and nothing came back as an error. I erased the drive hoping that I could format it. IfI put the windows "restore" disk in it start to load the winodws files and then just "hangs" at the same place where it always had in the past. So I was hoping to just format the HD and then attempt to load windows.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 1, 2013 5:28:15 AM

Now i got it. You don't need to format anything on the disk to use the restore disk. Just delete all partitions and start the installation. Even then it might not work, if your hard disk has bad sectors. That's the most common reason for the behavior you describe. I recommend you run a checkdisk from you Hiren CD first.
m
0
l
May 1, 2013 5:36:10 AM

noidea_77 said:
Now i got it. You don't need to format anything on the disk to use the restore disk. Just delete all partitions and start the installation. Even then it might not work, if your hard disk has bad sectors. That's the most common reason for the behavior you describe. I recommend you run a checkdisk from you Hiren CD first.

And that's what's puzzling about this whole thing. I've run several diagnostics on the drive (chkdsk / surface scan / etc) and all came back OK. I was hoping that a format might give me a chance to load Windows onto it. But maybe that's just not doable.
Thanks


m
0
l