Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel i5 3570k vs AMD A10 5800k, need help on new build!

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 30, 2013 5:38:56 PM

Hey everyone! I need help upgrading my old computer. Currently here is my build:

Dell XPS 720, Intel Quad Core 2 Q6600 (not overclocked) 2.4 GHZ. Running 6 gigs of DDR2 ram. EVGA Nvidia GTX 460 1GB GDDR5.

My girlfriend recently bought me G.Skill RipJaws 16G-DDR3-1600 RAM (4 sticks). My computer, which is pretty old, cannot handle the new RAM because my motherboard is old. I need help picking out a new build.

What I will be keeping: My harddrive, and my power supply.

I am looking for: a new motherboard, case, and CPU.

Budget: 100-250 (but looking for best bang for my buck)

Uses: I am a pretty heavy gamer, playing FPS games (COD, etc) and a League of Legends player. I like to run max settings around 760x1280. I am looking for a new motherboard that will be compatible with my CPU (the one I purchase), but will also let me get AS MUCH PERFORMANCE with my oldish graphics card.

So far for CPU I have been looking at 2 choices: Intel i5 3570k or AMD A10 5800k. I am also open for different suggestions that fit what I am looking for.

Does anyone know which is better? Pros and Cons of each? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong CPU's? I need help! Thanks everyone
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2013 5:42:26 PM

Consider the FX 6300 since you have a GPU.
April 30, 2013 5:44:21 PM

slomo4sho said:
Consider the FX 6300 since you have a GPU.


How does the FX 6300 stack against the Intel i5 or AMD A10? (sorry too lazy to check benchmark and all that fun stuff)...

And will I run into any problems with a Nvidia GPU and a AMD processor?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2013 5:48:33 PM

azzrael said:
slomo4sho said:
Consider the FX 6300 since you have a GPU.


How does the FX 6300 stack against the Intel i5 or AMD A10? (sorry too lazy to check benchmark and all that fun stuff)...


Well, with your budget being $250 for CPU, motherboard, and case, an I5 is out of the question. The FX 6300 is superior to the A10.


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($118.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $243.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
April 30, 2013 5:53:02 PM

slomo4sho said:
azzrael said:
slomo4sho said:
Consider the FX 6300 since you have a GPU.


How does the FX 6300 stack against the Intel i5 or AMD A10? (sorry too lazy to check benchmark and all that fun stuff)...


Well, with your budget being $250 for CPU, motherboard, and case, an I5 is out of the question. The FX 6300 is superior to the A10.


For the CPU that is my budget. If an i5 was not out of the question, would you recommend it? And also, what about using AMD GPU, with a Intel Processor?
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2013 6:01:47 PM

slomo4sho said:
azzrael said:
10741343,0,195632 said:
Consider the FX 6300 since you have a GPU.
said:


How does the FX 6300 stack against the Intel i5 or AMD A10? (sorry too lazy to check benchmark and all that fun stuff)...
said:


Well, with your budget being $250 for CPU, motherboard, and case, an I5 is out of the question. The FX 6300 is superior to the A10.

I have been thinking of a 6300 or 6350 to pair with the two 7790's i got on your slick deal post last month slomo.

a b à CPUs
April 30, 2013 6:31:06 PM

tourist said:

I have been thinking of a 6300 or 6350 to pair with the two 7790's i got on your slick deal post last month slomo.



:) 

What are you using currently? Also, what games do you play?

azzrael said:

For the CPU that is my budget. If an i5 was not out of the question, would you recommend it? And also, what about using AMD GPU, with a Intel Processor?


Your older GPU will be a bottle neck in your system. I prefer having a balanced build. It may be wiser to stick with a FX-6300/6350 and going with a HD 7850/GTX 650 Ti Boost (should be able to sell your 460 for around $60-80).
April 30, 2013 6:40:28 PM

slomo4sho said:
tourist said:

I have been thinking of a 6300 or 6350 to pair with the two 7790's i got on your slick deal post last month slomo.



:) 

What are you using currently? Also, what games do you play?

azzrael said:

For the CPU that is my budget. If an i5 was not out of the question, would you recommend it? And also, what about using AMD GPU, with a Intel Processor?


I prefer having a balanced build. It may be wiser to stick with a FX-6300/6350 and going with a HD 7850/GTX 650 Ti Boost (should be able to sell your 460 for around $60-80).


Slomo, I have decided I will probably go for the FX-6300. Now I need help choosing a motherboard. I have some choices, do you have a recommendations on which one I should go with?

ASROCK 970 Extreme3 Socket AM3+ 970 ATX
MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ ATX
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Socket AM3+ ATX
ASROCK 970 Extreme4 AM3+ ATX
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2013 6:43:00 PM

azzrael said:

Slomo, I have decided I will probably go for the FX-6300. Now I need help choosing a motherboard. I have some choices, do you have a recommendations on which one I should go with?

ASROCK 970 Extreme3 Socket AM3+ 970 ATX
MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ ATX
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Socket AM3+ ATX
ASROCK 970 Extreme4 AM3+ ATX


I have already recommended the Extreme3 above.

April 30, 2013 7:02:32 PM

3570k vs A10-5800K?

Night and day difference. The only AMD that directly competes with the 3570k is the FX-8350. They are essentially neck and neck.
Although, AMD is very good for people on a budget.
!