Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is this PC build good or not?

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 1, 2013 2:05:57 PM

Hi, I want to buy new a PC and come up with this build:
1) Motherboard Asus - P8Z77-V LX2;
2) Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5Ghz Box Socket 1155;
3) Asus GTX TITAN 6GB GDDR5;
4) G.Skill Trident X DDR3 2400 PC3-19200 16GB 2x8GB CL10;
5) Samsung 840 Pro SSD Series 512GB SATA3 Basic Kit;
6) AeroCool Strike-X Power 1100W;
7) Cooler Master V8;
8) Aerocool STRIKE-X Advance.
Is everything there works fine with each other? Help me with advice if you can or with your thoughts on what you would change? I choose such expensive build not because I'm rich, but because I want to buy a PC which will last minimum of 5 years and support everything on max setting. I always play on TV Samsung 40-inch at 1080p 60Hz, which is max for it if I'm not mistaken. So I hope you'll help me.

More about : build good

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 142 V Motherboard
May 1, 2013 2:09:22 PM

The PSU is junk. Look at Antec, XFX, Corsair,Seasonic

This build is compatible, albeit super overkill, but it will work.

If this is for gaming, you can save alot of money and lose no performance.

I would also not get a titan.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
May 1, 2013 2:16:28 PM

Halve the size of the SSD and add a larger spinning disk (1 or 2 TB).
As above, different PSU.

A lot of other overkill (read extra $$$), but it'll work.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 1, 2013 2:20:18 PM

tiny voices said:
The PSU is junk. Look at Antec, XFX, Corsair,Seasonic

This build is compatible, albeit super overkill, but it will work.

If this is for gaming, you can save alot of money and lose no performance.

I would also not get a titan.

Thank you for your comment. What would you take for this build in place of titan? Which is the best build for gaming for less money?

m
0
l
May 1, 2013 2:23:11 PM

USAFRet said:
Halve the size of the SSD and add a larger spinning disk (1 or 2 TB).
As above, different PSU.

A lot of other overkill (read extra $$$), but it'll work.

Thanks for your insight, I'm new to this forum, to which extra you referring? Is there a FAQ on this site for current stuff?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 142 V Motherboard
May 1, 2013 2:23:30 PM

Better PSU. 800w

I would get a a 7990 over a titan any day. But a 7970/ gtx680 would have no problem maxing anything for a long time.

Smaller SSD

Bigger HDD

i5 not i7. They are identical in gaming.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
May 1, 2013 2:26:13 PM

viralsiel said:
USAFRet said:
Halve the size of the SSD and add a larger spinning disk (1 or 2 TB).
As above, different PSU.

A lot of other overkill (read extra $$$), but it'll work.

Thanks for your insight, I'm new to this forum, to which extra you referring? Is there a FAQ on this site for current stuff?


I meant that as you are spending extra money for stuff that has no real effect.

i7 and the Titan for instance.
m
0
l
May 1, 2013 2:26:14 PM

tiny voices said:
Better PSU. 800w

I would get a a 7990 over a titan any day. But a 7970/ gtx680 would have no problem maxing anything for a long time.

Smaller SSD

Bigger HDD

i5 not i7. They are identical in gaming.


Thanks for help, I just thoght that soon there'll be games for which I will need those things.
m
0
l
May 1, 2013 2:27:51 PM

1. I would change the Titan for a GTX690 (or HD7990 which is in fact better). The reviews i saw basically said the titan was worse than these two.
2. Don't get 2400MHz RAM if you don't know how to use it. Your CPU supports 1600MHz RAM maximum natively, you would have to overclock the RAM and even so, it is not guaranteed you would hit the 2400MHz.
3. As other have told you already, halve the size of the SSD and use that money to buy a 1-3TB Hard Drive.
4. That PSU is... not optimal. First 1100W is so overkill for your build. Get a 750W PSU from a decent brand.
5. I don't think a top of the line GPU will fit in that case, just warning you. It says it has 295mm space for the GPU and GTX690/HD7970 are 294mm in size...

EDIT: sorry, actually only the 7990 is 294mm, the 690 is 279mm long
m
0
l
May 1, 2013 2:27:53 PM

USAFRet said:
viralsiel said:
USAFRet said:
Halve the size of the SSD and add a larger spinning disk (1 or 2 TB).
As above, different PSU.

A lot of other overkill (read extra $$$), but it'll work.

Thanks for your insight, I'm new to this forum, to which extra you referring? Is there a FAQ on this site for current stuff?


I meant that as you are spending extra money for stuff that has no real effect.

i7 and the Titan for instance.


Oh, ok, thank you, aren't titan and this cpu that helpfull with demanding games?
m
0
l
May 1, 2013 2:31:01 PM

csf60 said:
1. I would change the Titan for a GTX690 (or HD7990 which is in fact better). The reviews i saw basically said the titan was worse than these two.
2. Don't get 2400MHz RAM if you don't know how to use it. Your CPU supports 1600MHz RAM maximum natively, you would have to overclock the RAM and even so, it is not guaranteed you would hit the 2400MHz.
3. As other have told you already, halve the size of the SSD and use that money to buy a 1-3TB Hard Drive.
4. That PSU is... not optimal. First 1100W is so overkill for your build. Get a 750W PSU from a decent brand.
5. I don't think a top of the line GPU will fit in that case, just warning you. It says it has 295mm space for the GPU and GTX690/HD7970 are 294mm in size...

Thank you, all of you really helpful, which case would you recommend?
m
0
l
May 1, 2013 2:32:36 PM

viralsiel said:

Oh, ok, thank you, aren't titan and this cpu that helpfull with demanding games?


The i7 has no benefit over an i5-3570k in games, just 1-2fps for all that money.
The titan does make a difference, but as everyone has pointed out, 7990 is better for the same price.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
May 1, 2013 2:32:44 PM

viralsiel said:

Oh, ok, thank you, aren't titan and this cpu that helpfull with demanding games?


The i7 is a 50% price increase for a very minimal (if any) gaming increase.
m
0
l
May 1, 2013 2:35:12 PM

viralsiel said:
csf60 said:
1. I would change the Titan for a GTX690 (or HD7990 which is in fact better). The reviews i saw basically said the titan was worse than these two.
2. Don't get 2400MHz RAM if you don't know how to use it. Your CPU supports 1600MHz RAM maximum natively, you would have to overclock the RAM and even so, it is not guaranteed you would hit the 2400MHz.
3. As other have told you already, halve the size of the SSD and use that money to buy a 1-3TB Hard Drive.
4. That PSU is... not optimal. First 1100W is so overkill for your build. Get a 750W PSU from a decent brand.
5. I don't think a top of the line GPU will fit in that case, just warning you. It says it has 295mm space for the GPU and GTX690/HD7970 are 294mm in size...

Thank you, all of you really helpful, which case would you recommend?


For around the same price, a Corsair 300R is a cool option. It will fit any GPU that's for sure.
m
0
l

Best solution

May 1, 2013 2:35:16 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($106.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($229.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($389.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1360.16
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-01 17:26 EDT-0400)

Add a case and an optical drive if you need them. The processor can easily be overclocked to 4.4GHz+. This is more than enough of a system to handle gaming at 1080p at max settings, and far cheaper than the system you listed. The performance of a Titan is not that much better than the top end cards from either NVidia or AMD, nowhere near enough to justify the additional $600 cost. The differences between the i7 and the i5 have no impact on gaming performance. Since you are only using a single card, there is no reason to use a PSU with that much power. Even the 650W in this build is more than the system needs but having overhead room is always good. Unless you really know what you are doing with overclocking your system, getting DDR3-2400 is a waste since it will run at the same speed as DDR3-1600.
Share
May 1, 2013 2:38:10 PM

csf60 said:
viralsiel said:
csf60 said:
1. I would change the Titan for a GTX690 (or HD7990 which is in fact better). The reviews i saw basically said the titan was worse than these two.
2. Don't get 2400MHz RAM if you don't know how to use it. Your CPU supports 1600MHz RAM maximum natively, you would have to overclock the RAM and even so, it is not guaranteed you would hit the 2400MHz.
3. As other have told you already, halve the size of the SSD and use that money to buy a 1-3TB Hard Drive.
4. That PSU is... not optimal. First 1100W is so overkill for your build. Get a 750W PSU from a decent brand.
5. I don't think a top of the line GPU will fit in that case, just warning you. It says it has 295mm space for the GPU and GTX690/HD7970 are 294mm in size...

Thank you, all of you really helpful, which case would you recommend?


For around the same price, a Corsair 300R is a cool option. It will fit any GPU that's for sure.


Thank you.
m
0
l
May 1, 2013 2:39:17 PM

Garner6425 said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($106.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($229.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($389.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1360.16
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-01 17:26 EDT-0400)

Add a case and an optical drive if you need them. The processor can easily be overclocked to 4.4GHz+. This is more than enough of a system to handle gaming at 1080p at max settings, and far cheaper than the system you listed. The performance of a Titan is not that much better than the top end cards from either NVidia or AMD, nowhere near enough to justify the additional $600 cost. The differences between the i7 and the i5 have no impact on gaming performance. Since you are only using a single card, there is no reason to use a PSU with that much power. Even the 650W in this build is more than the system needs but having overhead room is always good. Unless you really know what you are doing with overclocking your system, getting DDR3-2400 is a waste since it will run at the same speed as DDR3-1600.

Man thank you, very helpfull. All people here helped a lot, thank you all.
m
0
l
!