Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Every time I plug in my laptop charger, the external monitor turns wavy?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 1, 2013 6:17:21 PM

Hi,

I hope you could propose solutions for this issue. I recently bought an ASUS Ve247H external LED monitor. It is plugged into my Toshiba L500 laptop all the time through a VGA cable. The problem is that since my laptop battery is dead, I have my laptop connected to AC power all the time. This causes the external monitor to be wavy. When I unplug the charger, the screen works perfectly. I tried changing where I plug the laptop, tried every power outlet I have, the problem did not go away. I was wondering if you could suggest solutions to this. It has become annoying. Thank you very much.

I ordered an HDMI cable, will arrive in two weeks. Don't know if this solves the problem. any thoughts?
a b D Laptop
May 1, 2013 6:45:08 PM

Is the VGA port close to the power connector on the laptop? It seems unlikely that a computer company would be this careless, but if they are close, its possible the power is making interference inside of the computer, distorting the image.

It could also be if your laptop switches to power saver mode while the power is plugged in. Power saver mode can cut the clock speed on parts down low.

A third idea is your laptop can't handle two displays, or at least not two displays at the resolution you are using. This is unlikely, but possible. Try turning the laptop screen off and just using the LED.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
May 1, 2013 6:58:11 PM

VGA is an analog signal and much more susceptible to RF interference. The charger's transformer is probably not well shielded or has poor RF chokes. The digital HDMI signal may make the difference.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 1, 2013 7:02:27 PM

IInuyasha74 said:
Is the VGA port close to the power connector on the laptop? It seems unlikely that a computer company would be this careless, but if they are close, its possible the power is making interference inside of the computer, distorting the image.

It could also be if your laptop switches to power saver mode while the power is plugged in. Power saver mode can cut the clock speed on parts down low.

A third idea is your laptop can't handle two displays, or at least not two displays at the resolution you are using. This is unlikely, but possible. Try turning the laptop screen off and just using the LED.


1. no. they are on opposite sides
2. Powersaver mode is disabled
3. same problem even when laptop screen is off. already tried that. Plus there is no problem when the two displays are on while they laptop charger is unplugged.
m
0
l
May 1, 2013 7:03:12 PM

clutchc said:
VGA is an analog signal and much more susceptible to RF interference. The charger's transformer is probably not well shielded or has poor RF chokes. The digital HDMI signal may make the difference.


I hope his solves the problem. Will have to wait for the cable to be delivered.
m
0
l
May 1, 2013 7:23:40 PM

Is the monitor and laptop plugged into the same outlet? They should be if possible to avoid a ground loop.
m
0
l
May 1, 2013 7:30:46 PM

smeezekitty said:
Is the monitor and laptop plugged into the same outlet? They should be if possible to avoid a ground loop.


Yes they are. I tried every outlet with same problem unsolved.

m
0
l
a b D Laptop
May 1, 2013 7:34:33 PM

smeezekitty said:
Is the monitor and laptop plugged into the same outlet? They should be if possible to avoid a ground loop.


Nonsense!
m
0
l
May 1, 2013 8:29:55 PM

clutchc said:
smeezekitty said:
Is the monitor and laptop plugged into the same outlet? They should be if possible to avoid a ground loop.


Nonsense!

How so?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2013 3:35:14 PM

Sounds like the chances are it is either that there is some sort of interference some where in the system. The only other thing besides that which makes sense to me is a software issue, but if you have the newest drivers and have the resolution and such set properly it shouldn't be software issue. What model laptop do you have? Maybe its a known defect.
m
0
l
!