Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need Help for a New Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 1, 2013 8:00:23 PM

Hi everyone!

I am thinking about building a new PC and these are the parts I have chosen:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UpAT

I am just wondering is there any compatibility issues, and is it possible to reduce the price to about $1600-1700. I'm mostly worried about my monitor being sub-par.


Thanks

More about : build

a b C Monitor
May 1, 2013 8:41:12 PM

We can definitely take a bite out of that price tag, but first we need to know usage: what do you plan to do with this machine?
m
0
l
May 1, 2013 9:00:24 PM

I'm mainly going to be use it for gaming and writing essays :p  I always had a pre built computer and I would always run into overheating problems; specifically the GPU, so I opted to build one myself

EDIT: and listening to music is one of my favorite hobbies, so if I could get some surround sound that would be perfect
m
0
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
May 1, 2013 9:22:10 PM

Serhan007 said:
I'm mainly going to be use it for gaming and writing essays :p  I always had a pre built computer and I would always run into overheating problems; specifically the GPU, so I opted to build one myself

EDIT: and listening to music is one of my favorite hobbies, so if I could get some surround sound that would be perfect


I know literally nothing about speaker systems. I would advise picking a good system, then taking its cost out of the PC.

Edit: That is, take its cost out of your budget, then tell me what I have to work with.
m
0
l
May 2, 2013 7:18:02 AM

Hmmm, I am still willing I work within that budget
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2013 8:14:13 AM

Around $2200? In additon to sound system?
m
0
l
May 2, 2013 8:20:33 AM

No sorry about the confusion :/  some where between 1700-1800 without the sound system. The parts I have listen is what I have right now, but I'm pretty sure I get more bang for my buck for a lot of the current items that I have.

I hope this clears things up
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2013 8:22:54 AM

Serhan007 said:
No sorry about the confusion :/  some where between 1700-1800 without the sound system. The parts I have listen is what I have right now, but I'm pretty sure I get more bang for my buck for a lot of the current items that I have.

I hope this clears things up


No problems at all. That does clear things up quite a bit. I'll work on something to impove the all-important bang-to-buck ratio. One question: is lower cost or better performance more ideal?
m
0
l
May 2, 2013 8:37:47 AM

Jack Revenant said:
Serhan007 said:
No sorry about the confusion :/  some where between 1700-1800 without the sound system. The parts I have listen is what I have right now, but I'm pretty sure I get more bang for my buck for a lot of the current items that I have.

I hope this clears things up


No problems at all. That does clear things up quite a bit. I'll work on something to impove the all-important bang-to-buck ratio. One question: is lower cost or better performance more ideal?


Ideally, I would like to keep at least the CPU and case the same, and lower the price. I am currently running a GTX 560 TI, so anything above that in improvement would be great. Also, If you find a better CPU for a lower price don't hesitate to let me know! :D 

Thank you
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2013 8:51:48 AM

Serhan007 said:
Jack Revenant said:
Serhan007 said:
No sorry about the confusion :/  some where between 1700-1800 without the sound system. The parts I have listen is what I have right now, but I'm pretty sure I get more bang for my buck for a lot of the current items that I have.

I hope this clears things up


No problems at all. That does clear things up quite a bit. I'll work on something to impove the all-important bang-to-buck ratio. One question: is lower cost or better performance more ideal?


Ideally, I would like to keep at least the CPU and case the same, and lower the price. I am currently running a GTX 560 TI, so anything above that in improvement would be great. Also, If you find a better CPU for a lower price don't hesitate to let me know! :D 

Thank you


If you're only planning to use the machine for gaming, an i7 is generally not going to help you much. The i5 3570k is just as good for gaming purposes. It's only on things like video editing, as well as the small handfull of games which benefit from hyperthreading, that the 3770k is better.

Edit: Don't worry about me changing the case, I love NZXT and the Phantom line in particular.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2013 9:48:26 AM

Alright, this is my initial offering. It should give you a little more bang for a little less buck.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($220.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.67 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($96.87 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($453.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (Matte Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.96 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K350 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard ($50.98 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($38.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1923.32
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-02 12:45 EDT-0400)

The main reason it's over the $1,800 is the monitor, which is (in my mind) a fairly significant upgrade over the one you selected. It's 144hz, has a 1ms response time, and is generally rather awesome. If we need to push the price lower, there are a tonne of things I can cut, so just let me know.
m
0
l
May 2, 2013 7:41:48 PM

Jack Revenant said:
Alright, this is my initial offering. It should give you a little more bang for a little less buck.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($220.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.67 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($96.87 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($453.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (Matte Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.96 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K350 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard ($50.98 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($38.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1923.32
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-02 12:45 EDT-0400)

The main reason it's over the $1,800 is the monitor, which is (in my mind) a fairly significant upgrade over the one you selected. It's 144hz, has a 1ms response time, and is generally rather awesome. If we need to push the price lower, there are a tonne of things I can cut, so just let me know.


Thank you so much I really appreciate it :D 



m
0
l
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2013 7:44:03 PM

Serhan007 said:
Jack Revenant said:
Alright, this is my initial offering. It should give you a little more bang for a little less buck.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($220.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.67 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($96.87 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($453.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (Matte Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.96 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K350 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard ($50.98 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($38.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1923.32
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-02 12:45 EDT-0400)

The main reason it's over the $1,800 is the monitor, which is (in my mind) a fairly significant upgrade over the one you selected. It's 144hz, has a 1ms response time, and is generally rather awesome. If we need to push the price lower, there are a tonne of things I can cut, so just let me know.


Thank you so much I really appreciate it :D 





My pleasure. Do I need to cut anything down to size, or does this look good to you?
m
0
l
May 2, 2013 7:57:39 PM

Jack Revenant said:
Serhan007 said:
Jack Revenant said:
Alright, this is my initial offering. It should give you a little more bang for a little less buck.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($220.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.67 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($96.87 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($453.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (Matte Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.96 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K350 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard ($50.98 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($38.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1923.32
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-02 12:45 EDT-0400)

The main reason it's over the $1,800 is the monitor, which is (in my mind) a fairly significant upgrade over the one you selected. It's 144hz, has a 1ms response time, and is generally rather awesome. If we need to push the price lower, there are a tonne of things I can cut, so just let me know.


Thank you so much I really appreciate it :D 





My pleasure. Do I need to cut anything down to size, or does this look good to you?



No not really, everything looks great. Just a quick question for my personal knowledge, other than the fact that the video card you have chose is 3GB why did you choose that one over my NVIDIA?

Again thanks :) 

m
0
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
May 2, 2013 8:03:21 PM

Serhan007 said:
Jack Revenant said:
Serhan007 said:
Jack Revenant said:
Alright, this is my initial offering. It should give you a little more bang for a little less buck.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($220.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.67 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($96.87 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($453.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (Matte Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.96 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K350 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard ($50.98 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($38.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1923.32
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-02 12:45 EDT-0400)

The main reason it's over the $1,800 is the monitor, which is (in my mind) a fairly significant upgrade over the one you selected. It's 144hz, has a 1ms response time, and is generally rather awesome. If we need to push the price lower, there are a tonne of things I can cut, so just let me know.


Thank you so much I really appreciate it :D 





My pleasure. Do I need to cut anything down to size, or does this look good to you?



No not really, everything looks great. Just a quick question for my personal knowledge, other than the fact that the video card you have chose is 3GB why did you choose that one over my NVIDIA?

Again thanks :) 



It performs better (the ghz. edition is up there fighting with the 680), and has what is to my mind a superior cooler. Also, I admit that I tend to prefer AMD cards, in general. The 670 or 680 could have done the job, most likely, but I know AMD better than I do nVidia and I know that card is a good one. With an nVidia, there would have been a lot more guesswork. Hope that answers your question!

I'm glad that I was able to help. Happy gaming!
Share
!