260 gtx uses too much Amps !

smosh333

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Recently I noticed that while playing a game (after only a few seconds) my PSU (corsair vx550w, which came with the pc 4 years ago) cooling fan becomes extremely loud. It sounds so bad, that I am afraid its gonna burn so I stopped playing games all month. Today I think I realized that the noise is actually not due to a problem with the PSU, but its actually just the graphic card (bfg 260 gtx 216 cores) that needs so much ampers for no reason !

For example in idle mode (by Everest) it consumes 9 Ampers (which is about 100w on IDLE !!), and gets to full load - 41 ampers while gaming (call of juarez, bioshock, starcraft 2).

The first time I noticed it was right after installing bioshock infinite (which forced me to install its version of visual c++, and directx 9) and my guess is that this game fucked it up (I tried installing other directx 9 installations with no luck so I might be wrong)...

So in conclusion - please help!

zdbc13

Distinguished
Make sure all your fans and heatsinks are clean, blow them off with compressed air in a can. Run HWMonitor while you play the games to see if anything is overheating. That card has a max 182W TDP so it should work with that power supply unless you have a bunch of other things powered up.