Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

CPU Upgrade Not Urgent, Worth It?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 2, 2013 7:30:25 PM

Seeing as how you guys haven't steered me wrong yet, I figured I should check with you :) 

A few years ago, I built my computer with the aid of this forum, it has a Gigabyte P55a-UD3 motherboard and an I5-750. Since then, I found a hobby in creating youtube videos, and live streaming video games to sites like twitch.tv. My processor is outdated, and I'm seriously considering an upgrade to serve those purposes.

My I5 functions okay, but not well enough to handle the load put on it by live streaming programs such as Xsplit. Would you recommend waiting a few months before upgrading, or upgrade now? And what processor would you recommend upgrading to? If it doesn't match the socket type of the motherboard, 1156, I'd be okay with upgrading that, too. I'd like to keep it under $400-500. Thanks, guys!
a c 124 à CPUs
May 2, 2013 8:02:06 PM

At this stage, I would personally wait a few months to see what Haswell and socket 1150 has to offer
m
0
l
May 2, 2013 8:09:23 PM

C12Friedman said:
At this stage, I would personally wait a few months to see what Haswell and socket 1150 has to offer


Out of curiosity, does the release of a new socket/processor type often cause the fall of prices of, say, existing I7 Ivy Bridge processors?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2013 8:12:36 PM

You're gonna wanna get an FX 8350 for what you wanna do. Intel doesn't offer hyper-threading until it's top end models and AMD processors multi-task very well. Intel also makes you upgrade your motherboard every generation as well so it's a nice way to save some cash in the future.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2013 8:13:44 PM

whoisme555 said:
C12Friedman said:
At this stage, I would personally wait a few months to see what Haswell and socket 1150 has to offer


Out of curiosity, does the release of a new socket/processor type often cause the fall of prices of, say, existing I7 Ivy Bridge processors?


In this case it won't. Not until AMD releases it's next gen a few months from now.
m
0
l
May 2, 2013 8:18:38 PM

thor220 said:
You're gonna wanna get an FX 8350 for what you wanna do. Intel doesn't offer hyper-threading until it's top end models and AMD processors multi-task very well. Intel also makes you upgrade your motherboard every generation as well so it's a nice way to save some cash in the future.


I was always led to believe the opposite. I always heard AMD handled multitasking worse, and, simply put, wouldn't size up to similarly priced intel processors for gaming and video encoding simultaneously. Is that wrong?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2013 8:26:55 PM

whoisme555 said:
thor220 said:
You're gonna wanna get an FX 8350 for what you wanna do. Intel doesn't offer hyper-threading until it's top end models and AMD processors multi-task very well. Intel also makes you upgrade your motherboard every generation as well so it's a nice way to save some cash in the future.


I was always led to believe the opposite. I always heard AMD handled multitasking worse, and, simply put, wouldn't size up to similarly priced intel processors for gaming and video encoding simultaneously. Is that wrong?


It's not that AMD handles threads better, it's AMD's architecture that excels in multi-tasking. I know allot of starcraft 2 casters that love the 8350s because it's so good at streaming, running starcraft, and checking out their twitch tv page. Intel does not offer hyper-threading(hurts game speed for better threading) until their enthusiast models, which cost about $100 more. All in all the 8350 would be the best choice.

*Edit

I currently have a Intel 3570k and it's great for gaming and multitasking. Only issue I run into is when I need to encode and game at the same time.
m
0
l
May 2, 2013 8:47:13 PM

thor220 said:
whoisme555 said:
thor220 said:
You're gonna wanna get an FX 8350 for what you wanna do. Intel doesn't offer hyper-threading until it's top end models and AMD processors multi-task very well. Intel also makes you upgrade your motherboard every generation as well so it's a nice way to save some cash in the future.


I was always led to believe the opposite. I always heard AMD handled multitasking worse, and, simply put, wouldn't size up to similarly priced intel processors for gaming and video encoding simultaneously. Is that wrong?


It's not that AMD handles threads better, it's AMD's architecture that excels in multi-tasking. I know allot of starcraft 2 casters that love the 8350s because it's so good at streaming, running starcraft, and checking out their twitch tv page. Intel does not offer hyper-threading(hurts game speed for better threading) until their enthusiast models, which cost about $100 more. All in all the 8350 would be the best choice.

*Edit

I currently have a Intel 3570k and it's great for gaming and multitasking. Only issue I run into is when I need to encode and game at the same time.


When I upgrade, I'd like a model that will remain at a decent enough level to keep further upgrades at bay while allowing me to live stream new games. I'm thinking about splurging. The I7-3770 caught my eye. I know it's a little more expensive, but do you think it'd stay at a level fast enough to handle the high end processing I'd need for at least a few years? Assuming the Haswell aren't worth upgrading to, of course
m
0
l
May 2, 2013 8:57:51 PM

A i7 3770, i5 3570, or wait a little for haswell. Intel for sure if your willing spend a few bucks.... I mean he did say upgrade. The 1155 socket is on the way out but either if those will suit you for a while.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 2, 2013 11:48:25 PM

Yes the I7-3770 would be great if you have the cash. Next gen. consoles usually drive upgrades but the CPU is very weak in the PS4, so I would expect the same requirement for PC games. The only time I can think of when you would need to upgrade is when 4k resolution comes around and you have to encode for that. That should be at least 6 years.

Also, as freshbakd said, if you wait a month haswell will be out soon. It should provide about 10% more performance over ivy bridge.
Share
May 3, 2013 9:27:42 PM

thor220 said:
Yes the I7-3770 would be great if you have the cash. Next gen. consoles usually drive upgrades but the CPU is very weak in the PS4, so I would expect the same requirement for PC games. The only time I can think of when you would need to upgrade is when 4k resolution comes around and you have to encode for that. That should be at least 6 years.

Also, as freshbakd said, if you wait a month haswell will be out soon. It should provide about 10% more performance over ivy bridge.


Alright, I'll wait for the haswells to come out and then revisit this topic then :)  Thanks for your help guys!
m
0
l
!