Black screen when upgrading RAM on Dell Precision T3400

May 3, 2013
I have a Dell Precision T3400 running 64 bit Windows 7 Professional. Intel® X38 Express chipset, Intel Core 2 Duo (quad core) E7300 @ 2.66ghz
It original came with 2GB RAM (2 x 1Gb), which I replaced with 2 x 2GB RAM. I recently purchased a further 2 x 2GB to upgrade to what I believe is the maximum my MOBO will take of 8GB
There are four DIMM sockets on the MOBO and when I put all four new RAMs in (each exactly same spec) the PC will not boot up. It will power up, fan will come on, and it sounds as if the PC is running, but all I will have is a black screen.
If I take out one of the RAM sticks it will work fine and the BIOS will detect the 6Gb, but I want to be able to use the 8Gig that I paid for as I use very power hungry music production software.
I thought that maybe one of the RAM sticks or sockets was faulty, but I have established they are not by trying different ones on their own in different sockets etc. I have the lastest BIOS version (Dell A11)
Is there something obvious I am missing?

On some mb and ram combo when you place all four dimms in he can pull more voltage then the memory controller can Handel. Or some ram won't work in some mb with four dimms. I would google the mb vendor info. Find the model and who made it and look at the vendor ram qal info. Also use crucial memory advisor to see if on your system you use four dimms or two four gig dimms.

May 3, 2013

THanks for the reply. From what I can see it is a Dell TP412 Motherboard which can accept 4 x dual-channel 667 and 800-MHz DDR2 SDRAM. (crucial memory advisor claims that I can put in 16Gig(?)

The Dell manual also says that it can take 4 x 2Gig RAM sticks. So perhaps it is the voltage. Any way I can adjust that?