Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is this a good build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 3, 2013 9:03:01 AM

This is my first computer build and I'm just wondering if it's good/compatible and such.

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
CPU: i7-3770k
GPU: 2x HD 7970 Ghz Edition Crossfire Ready
RAM: (2x8gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866 Mhz
Cooler: Corsair H100i
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series 850 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified
HD: Western Digital 1TB SATA 6.0GB/s 7200 RPM 3.5 inch
Case: Corsair C70

Also, I want to find a good optical drive that can read/write blu-ray, DVDs and CDs

Thanks

More about : good build

May 3, 2013 9:08:29 AM

A pretty weak system. You will struggle to get a good framerate even in games like Minesweeper.
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 9:09:55 AM

It looks like overkill for a gaming rig. I hope you have monitors that will take advantage of the stuff you got listed.

I'd say that you may want to go with sli 670s vs the 7970s due to the driver issues amd has with CF "smoothness" in game play (CF cards can look more choppy in play but still have high FPS).

At this price range and no SSD? You got room in there to get one to have your rig boot up faster and have key games load faster.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 3, 2013 9:12:16 AM

loops said:
It looks like overkill for a gaming rig. I hope you have monitors that will take advantage of the stuff you got listed.

I'd say that you may want to go with sli 670s vs the 7970s due to the driver issues amd has with CF "smoothness" in game play (CF cards can look more choppy in play but still have high FPS).

At this price range and no SSD? You got room in there to get one to have your rig boot up faster and have key games load faster.


thanks for the advice,

What size SSD should I get for the OS and maybe 1/2 of my favorite games?

m
0
l
May 3, 2013 9:21:13 AM

Hi zyy321dorry!

What would this build be for? Gaming, video editing?

All parts are compatible and will give you excellent performance with today's games.

For the writer, I would recommend the Asus Blu-Ray Burner.
m
0
l

Best solution

May 3, 2013 9:23:14 AM

Yes, I also would recommend Nvidia SLI instead of Crossfire as of driver issues.
Also i7 for gaming rig is overkill I would suggest a i5-3570K. If you have no problem with budget then keep your i7 and also if you going for multithreading activities or other heavy professional work. For gaming 3570K and invest the remaining in a SSD. I think 128GB would suffice for Windows and some important games and applications.
So in all if you cut the i7(if only gaming) and invest in SSD would be more optimal.
zyy321dorry said:
loops said:
It looks like overkill for a gaming rig. I hope you have monitors that will take advantage of the stuff you got listed.

I'd say that you may want to go with sli 670s vs the 7970s due to the driver issues amd has with CF "smoothness" in game play (CF cards can look more choppy in play but still have high FPS).

At this price range and no SSD? You got room in there to get one to have your rig boot up faster and have key games load faster.


thanks for the advice,

What size SSD should I get for the OS and maybe 1/2 of my favorite games?



Share
May 3, 2013 10:07:07 AM

scragnoff said:
Hi zyy321dorry!

What would this build be for? Gaming, video editing?

All parts are compatible and will give you excellent performance with today's games.

For the writer, I would recommend the Asus Blu-Ray Burner.


I will be using it for gaming and work,
and thanks for the link to the drive :D 
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 10:16:13 AM

You're welcome! :)  If this is for work, then it will do nicely.
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 12:13:27 PM

scragnoff said:
You're welcome! :)  If this is for work, then it will do nicely.


Your welcome :) 

Happy to help :) 
m
0
l
!