Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Building My Gaming PC 1000 - 1500 ( first time )

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 3, 2013 6:28:04 PM

Hello im 15 years old and so far ive been gaming with my xbox but recently learned about pc gaming and have been doing quite alot of research about building my own pc and have came up with a build. I just need some verification and overview from all you smart guys at Toms Hardware. Im getting my parts from tiger direct because there is a local store near me and I feel it will be easier. I want to be able to play all the newest games on max settings, Battlefield 4 for example. I want it to be quiet and cool, i like my case not only to be a great case but to look great, my specs are listed bellow see if you would do anything different. I am open to any ideas, i don’t care if my whole build is crap just please let me know, thanks

Overclocking: If/When its needed
Other questions:
is SSD worth it?
Windows 7 or 8?
Will tiger direct physically assemble your pc for you for a fee?
How long will my build be able to play the latest game smoothly on max settings?
Are all these parts compatible?
Sorry for so many questions 

Specs:

Proccessor: Intel Core i7-3820 Processor - Quad Core, 10MB L3 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache, 3.60GHz (3.90GHz Max Turbo),
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 02G-P4-2678-KR Video Card - 2GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0, 1x DVI-I, 1x DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Overclocked
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Motherbaord:ASUS P8Z77-V LX Intel 7 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z77 Express, 2400MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, CrossFireX Ready
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

RAM:Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

SSD:Kingston SH103S3/120G HyperX 120GB Solid State Drive - 120GB, SATA III, 2.5"
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Hdd:Toshiba HDKPC03 DT01ACA100 1TB Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200 RPM, SATA, 3.5"
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Monitor: BenQ GL2450HM 24" Class Widescreen LED Backlit Monitor - 1920 x 1080, 16:9, 12000000:1 Dynamic, 1000:1 Native, 2ms
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

CPU Cooler:Cooler Master Hyper N520 CPU Cooler 92 mm
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

DVD Burner:Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Power Supply:Cooler Master RS850-AMBAJ3-US Silent Pro M 850W Power Supply - ATX, Modular, 850 Watt, 80+ Bronze Certified, SLI, 135mm Ultra Silent Fan
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922M ATX Mid-Tower Case - 5x5.25" Drive Bays, 5x3.5" Drive Bays, 7xExp Slots, 2xUSB 3.0 Ports, 2xAudio Ports, 2x200mm Fans, 1x120mm Fan, Black
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

OS: Windows 7 or 8, not decided

Cost Estimated Around: 1400

a b 4 Gaming
May 3, 2013 6:34:02 PM

Can you post the actual name of the parts? I'm sure most people aren't going to bother opening 11 links just to know what parts you picked out. That's just annoying.
May 3, 2013 6:56:30 PM

Well I opened the first 4 links and I had immediate suggestions for changing parts.

First things first, I can't say if Tiger Direct will assemble for free. I can tell you some parts are better off ordering from somewhere else as you could save money, you should consider that also. You can call Tiger Direct and ask the question about assembly.

Now I'm going to create a build list that will probably have quite a few changes from yours but I have only the intention of helping out.

Tiger Direct Build :
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/URvk
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
May 3, 2013 8:51:02 PM

ismaeljrp said:
Well I opened the first 4 links and I had immediate suggestions for changing parts.

First things first, I can't say if Tiger Direct will assemble for free. I can tell you some parts are better off ordering from somewhere else as you could save money, you should consider that also. You can call Tiger Direct and ask the question about assembly.

Now I'm going to create a build list that will probably have quite a few changes from yours but I have only the intention of helping out.

Tiger Direct Build :
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/URvk


You'll probably want to replace that RAM with low profile RAM if you want to use that cooler. Also, the 670 FTW isn't a terribly bad choice at his price range, so I'm not sure that we need to change that. Also, in mid-towers, I would suggest the NZXT Phantom 410, which is about $20 more (there's a sale running on white ones which pushes it down a bit, they're normally around $100) and scored significantly higher in cooling when Tom's tested them.
May 3, 2013 9:42:43 PM


[/quotemsg]

ksham said:
Can you post the actual name of the parts? I'm sure most people aren't going to bother opening 11 links just to know what parts you picked out. That's just annoying.


ismaeljrp said:
Well I opened the first 4 links and I had immediate suggestions for changing parts.

First things first, I can't say if Tiger Direct will assemble for free. I can tell you some parts are better off ordering from somewhere else as you could save money, you should consider that also. You can call Tiger Direct and ask the question about assembly.

Now I'm going to create a build list that will probably have quite a few changes from yours but I have only the intention of helping out.

Tiger Direct Build :
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/URvk


Thanks for the advice, I really like those options but im trying to get the best i can in an attempt to future proof and get the best quality of gaming i can. and trust me i wish i didnt have to get it from tiger direct, It was my dads choice because he is kind of paranoid and doesnt like shipping or putting his credit card online i really dont know why. Running this build how am i doing with cooling? im kind of worried that my cpu fan wont be good enough and if i need anymore case fans let me know. If you have anymore recomendations for a high end build i would love to see.

a b 4 Gaming
May 3, 2013 9:56:01 PM

That i7 is way overkill for you budget and gaming. I suggest this

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UTpe
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UTpe/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UTpe/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.94 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($445.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($66.24 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($94.44 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1243.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-04 00:55 EDT-0400)
May 3, 2013 10:07:08 PM

I think the stock cooler is fine unless you want to OC. If you want to OC then maybe the i5-3770k is a good choice for you. You can buy insurance from intel for $20 in case you fry your CPU from overclocking.

I like the crucial ballistix tactical for your build more then the corsair dominator vengence. Low profile, tighter timings. It's my favorite memory.

The Samsung 840 pro is a better SSD for $30 more.
May 4, 2013 6:49:59 AM

Jack Revenant said:

You'll probably want to replace that RAM with low profile RAM if you want to use that cooler. Also, the 670 FTW isn't a terribly bad choice at his price range, so I'm not sure that we need to change that. Also, in mid-towers, I would suggest the NZXT Phantom 410, which is about $20 more (there's a sale running on white ones which pushes it down a bit, they're normally around $100) and scored significantly higher in cooling when Tom's tested them.


I have the Evo and no Low Profile RAM, it fits fine, and you can always use the furthest RAM slots just in case. I thought the 670 was overpriced by about $70 it performs on equal terms with a 7950 maybe about 3% faster at about 25% more cost. And yeah, I really like those Phantom 410 cases especially the gunmetal and white versions, I'd say yeah teh NZXT is a better case :) .

May 4, 2013 7:00:57 AM

pellik said:
I think the stock cooler is fine unless you want to OC. If you want to OC then maybe the i5-3770k is a good choice for you. You can buy insurance from intel for $20 in case you fry your CPU from overclocking.

I like the crucial ballistix tactical for your build more then the corsair dominator vengence. Low profile, tighter timings. It's my favorite memory.

The Samsung 840 pro is a better SSD for $30 more.


I'm not trying to rag on anyones recommendations, but honestly I have about 4 yrs experience with a variety of SSD's, Marvell, Indilinx, Sandforce 1 and 2 etc. etc.... I had the first Vertex, Vertex 2, a Sandisk Readycache, and I've built others and tested friends Crucial M4 and Vertex 4...People are taking SSD reviews too literal, meaning, they are looking too much at synthetic benchmarks and SSD tiers. In real world tests there is hardly any difference at all ever since Sandforce came to town. You wanna know the reason an 840 pro or Vector SSD are tops in SSD's right now? It's only because reviewers and sites like Tom's or Guru3d absolutely have to segregate, They don't base there judgement on real world performance, because there is no difference...so they base it on whatever synthetic tests can make the difference clearer...It's like thinking you have to where a pair of microscopes on your eyes instead of glasses because you don't have 20/20 vision.

My point is, it is absolutely worthless going for SSD drives that are so expensive, unless you have a specific feature that you need, that only the more expensive drive can provide.

a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2013 9:31:20 AM

ismaeljrp said:
Jack Revenant said:

You'll probably want to replace that RAM with low profile RAM if you want to use that cooler. Also, the 670 FTW isn't a terribly bad choice at his price range, so I'm not sure that we need to change that. Also, in mid-towers, I would suggest the NZXT Phantom 410, which is about $20 more (there's a sale running on white ones which pushes it down a bit, they're normally around $100) and scored significantly higher in cooling when Tom's tested them.


I have the Evo and no Low Profile RAM, it fits fine, and you can always use the furthest RAM slots just in case. I thought the 670 was overpriced by about $70 it performs on equal terms with a 7950 maybe about 3% faster at about 25% more cost. And yeah, I really like those Phantom 410 cases especially the gunmetal and white versions, I'd say yeah teh NZXT is a better case :) .



Fair enough. I was going more by general forum wisdom in that case than experience. I've always water-cooled.
I tend to prefer the 7950 as well, but the 670 isn't a terribly price-inefficient card. Honestly, given what he was willing to pay, a Gigabyte 7970 might be most wise.
I quite adore NZXT cases as well. They seem to have just the right mix of style and useful features.
May 4, 2013 12:50:55 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback, it was really unexpected. One thing i saw in almost every comment was that i should be going with 15 so im going with Intel Core i5-3570K as reccomended. For the graphics card im kind of stuck, im either going with the

XFX Radeon HD 7950 Double D Video Card - 3072MB, GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0 (x16), 1x DVI, 1x HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Eyefinity, CrossFireX Ready, Includes 2 Games
or the
GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 02G-P4-2678-KR Video Card - 2GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0, 1x DVI-I, 1x DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Overclocked

Next i would go with a NZXT case as reccomended but they dont have any on tiger direct :/  (i would shop Newegg if i could), but i think the Cooler Master HAF 922M ATX Mid-Tower Case is the best case on tiger direct let me know otherwise.

On this build i was originally going with an 850 watt power supply but im guessing that a bit overkill with this build but im still unsure of how much watts i need would 600 be enough?

Is the stock cooler on the 15-3570k enough to keep it cool without over clocking? or should i still get the Cooler Master Hyper N520 CPU Cooler 92 mm

Do i need anymore case fans

Last i need to know if all of these parts are compatible

Im still open to any other suggestions and thanks for all your help so far

a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2013 1:07:38 PM

DaJoeMeister said:
Thanks for all of the feedback, it was really unexpected. One thing i saw in almost every comment was that i should be going with 15 so im going with Intel Core i5-3570K as reccomended. For the graphics card im kind of stuck, im either going with the

XFX Radeon HD 7950 Double D Video Card - 3072MB, GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0 (x16), 1x DVI, 1x HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Eyefinity, CrossFireX Ready, Includes 2 Games
or the
GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 02G-P4-2678-KR Video Card - 2GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0, 1x DVI-I, 1x DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Overclocked

Next i would go with a NZXT case as reccomended but they dont have any on tiger direct :/  (i would shop Newegg if i could), but i think the Cooler Master HAF 922M ATX Mid-Tower Case is the best case on tiger direct let me know otherwise.

On this build i was originally going with an 850 watt power supply but im guessing that a bit overkill with this build but im still unsure of how much watts i need would 600 be enough?

Is the stock cooler on the 15-3570k enough to keep it cool without over clocking? or should i still get the Cooler Master Hyper N520 CPU Cooler 92 mm

Do i need anymore case fans

Last i need to know if all of these parts are compatible

Im still open to any other suggestions and thanks for all your help so far



I believe that XFX also has a 7970 for around the price of the 670 on Tigerdirect, though I could be wrong. If it's there, you should consider it. The 7970 is a good card.

Regarding the case, erm... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

If you don't intend to CrossFire/SLI, 600w should be absolutely fine.

You only need more case fans if 1, your cooling is insufficient, and 2, they will improve said cooling. More is not always better with fans, as adding them in can actually disrupt case airflow and worsen cooling.

If you can spare the $25 bucks, I have a hard time not recommending the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. You may not need it, but it doesn't hit your wallet very hard and I'm paranoid about cooling.
May 4, 2013 3:50:54 PM

Yea i checked out the 7970 the only thing that holds me back is a few reviews i saw about noisiness/overheating so i decided to stick with my original gpu that i havnt heard one bad thing about, I dont know how i didnt find that case before but i think im going to still g0 with the cooler master i did my homework on it and most people have said that they were almost a tie and that it really comes down to personal preference on the look so i chose cooler master because i like those red leds :)  ,and i guess ill wait till i put it together to see if im gonna need more fans or to switch out the stock cooler and if i do i think i will be going with that cooler master hyper 212 evo heard nothing but great about it, thanks for the help by the way

all these parts should be compatible right?

also still open for more suggestions as usual

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2013 4:09:02 PM
Share

DaJoeMeister said:
Yea i checked out the 7970 the only thing that holds me back is a few reviews i saw about noisiness/overheating so i decided to stick with my original gpu that i havnt heard one bad thing about, I dont know how i didnt find that case before but i think im going to still g0 with the cooler master i did my homework on it and most people have said that they were almost a tie and that it really comes down to personal preference on the look so i chose cooler master because i like those red leds :)  ,and i guess ill wait till i put it together to see if im gonna need more fans or to switch out the stock cooler and if i do i think i will be going with that cooler master hyper 212 evo heard nothing but great about it, thanks for the help by the way

all these parts should be compatible right?

also still open for more suggestions as usual


Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of XFX cards in general, honestly. If it were the Sapphire version I might argue, but in this case you definitely have a good point.

Case choice is at least 50% personal preference, in my mind. You have to look at the thing every day for a protracted period, you should get one that looks alright to you, so long as you don't lose a lot on performance in the process. The 922M should be alright.

The Hyper 212 has such good press that I almost wonder if its main feature is hypnosis rather than cooling, honestly. I don't think I've ever seen a bad review.

I'm afraid that, between all the recommendations, I can't quite puzzle out what your present build is, so I can't speak to compatibility.

And I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're always happy to help.
May 5, 2013 9:09:16 AM

Yea i guess i need to show the updated build

CPU: intel i5 3570k

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2G

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX Intel 7 Series

RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB),

SSD: Kingston SH103S3/120G HyperX 120GB Solid State Drive

HDD: Toshiba HDKPC03 DT01ACA100 1TB Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200 RPM, SATA, 3.5"

Monitor: BenQ GL2450HM 24" Class Widescreen LED Backlit Monitor - 1920 x 1080, 16:9, 12000000:1 Dynamic, 1000:1 Native, 2ms,

CPU Cooler: stock cooler untill i OC

DVD Burner:Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner

Power Supply: Corsair HX750W 750-Watt Modular Power Supply - Single +12V Rail Design

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922M ATX Mid-Tower Case

Need to know if this machine will play battlefield 4 when if comes out and if everything is compatible and also any change reccomendations are extremley appreciated





!