Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti vs AMD Radeon HD 7950

Tags:
  • Graphics
  • AMD
  • Geforce
  • Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • HD
  • Radeon
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 3, 2013 6:56:39 PM

So I am going to build a Gaming PC soon, and I've been having some trouble deciding between the 2. I've heard there were driver issues and that the fan is loud and it gets hot easily with the 7950? I don't know which one I should get, lots of people seem to reccomend the 7950 over the 660 Ti.

More about : nvidia geforce gtx 660 amd radeon 7950

a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 7:06:03 PM

The 7950 is faster i do not know about driver issues do you mean AMD has been having problems with frame latency, meaning that higher frame rates don't translate into smoother gameplay?If so they have tried to address the issue in recent driver updates.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 3, 2013 7:10:57 PM

Well I'm going to be playing mainly Garry's Mod and DayZ at high settings.
m
0
l
a c 139 À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 7:12:55 PM

This is an age old debate. Search the forums and you will find most people would suggest the HD7950.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 7:15:01 PM

Novuake said:
This is an age old debate. Search the forums and you will find most people would suggest the HD7950.
:lol:  true that.

m
0
l

Best solution

May 3, 2013 7:15:03 PM

ShardTheOwl said:
Well I'm going to be playing mainly Garry's Mod and DayZ at high settings.


Well the two cards are powerful enough that choosing one or the other won't make a difference at all on your gameplay in these games.

However, I think games might begin to be more optimized for ATI cards in the near future, because both the PS4 and the Xbox 720 will use ATI cards. Developers tend to first develop games with consoles in mind (because that's where most of their profits come from), and then make adjustments for PC versions, so PC versions of the games might also be more optimized for ATI tech (and might use more of the GPGPU capacities of ATI cards for example, which Nvidia cards don't have as much). Just my opinion.
Share
May 3, 2013 7:19:41 PM

I think I'm going with the 7950. Thanks for the answers.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 7:19:45 PM

As a single card solution, the 7950 would be better with 3GB of 384 Bit VRAM. It easily overclocks to beat the 670 and 7970 and performance scales very well to larger resolutions, especially with high levels of AA enabled. Currently AMD is leading in triple monitor (Eyefinity) gaming.

If you are going to add a second card in the future, you'd be better off the the 660 Ti as it has no microstutter issues with SLI. Nvidia cards are also the choice if you are going to play in 3D. It has hardware Physx and CUDA if they are of importance to you.

As for the issue of GPU temperatures and fan noise, it really depends on the cooler provided by the different manufacturers. Look for user reviews of each brand of card at Newegg and avoid those with a lot of noise/heat complaints.

Personally, I got the Sapphire 7950. Overclocked to 1050Mhz core and 1450Mhz memory, it beats the 7970 for only ~$300. At stock voltage and has never exceeded 60 degrees. Blazing fast, maxes settings at 1080p on all my games except Arma 3 and Crysis 3 (Very high).
At this performance level all you really need is 1 card, so I chose the 7950 and never looked back.
m
0
l
a c 177 À AMD
a c 458 Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 7:22:08 PM

TechPowerUp swapped out some of their older games for newer ones, and the GTX 660 Ti now seems to have an insignificant edge. This is to be expected as Nvidia generally provides better support for newer games, while AMD tends to take some time to squash game-specific bugs and provide improved performance on recent games.


http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Inno3D/iChill_GTX_65...
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 7:25:49 PM

Wait, hold up a second. Is it really worth the 660 Ti for the PhysX and stuff?
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 7:28:24 PM

I also heard about their being game-specific bugs and stuff?
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 7:29:24 PM

ShardTheOwl said:
Wait, hold up a second. Is it really worth the 660 Ti for the PhysX and stuff?

Not really. The 7950 is definitely faster. Neither side is immune to driver issues. The only real issues with AMD cards is with crossfire.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 7:29:24 PM

ShardTheOwl said:
Wait, hold up a second. Is it really worth the 660 Ti for the PhysX and stuff?
You tell me :lol: 

[/quotemsg]


m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 7:31:25 PM

ShardTheOwl said:
Wait, hold up a second. Is it really worth the 660 Ti for the PhysX and stuff?


depends. there's only a handful of games that make good use of Physx. others its just minor particle effects.
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 7:32:59 PM

dudewitbow said:
ShardTheOwl said:
Wait, hold up a second. Is it really worth the 660 Ti for the PhysX and stuff?


depends. there's only a handful of games that make good use of Physx. others its just minor particle effects.


That. And besides, incoming games are being made for consoles that have ATI cards, so you might start seeing less PhysX and more ATI technology.
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 7:38:18 PM

Well I'm pretty sure there would be an amazing difference from this 3 year old Dell laptop I have with a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz and a Nvidia GeForce 8600MGT :lol: 
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 7:39:30 PM

Johnny828 said:
dudewitbow said:
ShardTheOwl said:
Wait, hold up a second. Is it really worth the 660 Ti for the PhysX and stuff?


depends. there's only a handful of games that make good use of Physx. others its just minor particle effects.


That. And besides, incoming games are being made for consoles that have ATI cards, so you might start seeing less PhysX and more ATI technology.




actually, the consoles were given a contract to be able to use the cpu compute based Physx on the console. so physx can still be used on them, just not at the same extent that a full blown nvidia gpu would do. Nvidia probably allowed that so that Physx would still be viable in the upcoming AMD advertised gaming world
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 7:40:20 PM

Johnny828 said:
dudewitbow said:
ShardTheOwl said:
Wait, hold up a second. Is it really worth the 660 Ti for the PhysX and stuff?


depends. there's only a handful of games that make good use of Physx. others its just minor particle effects.


That. And besides, incoming games are being made for consoles that have ATI cards, so you might start seeing less PhysX and more ATI technology.
Nvidia significantly outsells AMD in the gaming segment

m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 7:42:05 PM

dudewitbow said:
Johnny828 said:
dudewitbow said:
ShardTheOwl said:
Wait, hold up a second. Is it really worth the 660 Ti for the PhysX and stuff?


depends. there's only a handful of games that make good use of Physx. others its just minor particle effects.


That. And besides, incoming games are being made for consoles that have ATI cards, so you might start seeing less PhysX and more ATI technology.




actually, the consoles were given a contract to be able to use the cpu compute based Physx on the console. so physx can still be used on them, just not at the same extent that a full blown nvidia gpu would do. Nvidia probably allowed that so that Physx would still be viable in the upcoming AMD advertised gaming world

That may be true, but that means developers will use PhysX sparingly since it is slow to compute on the CPU.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 7:44:18 PM

smeezekitty said:
dudewitbow said:
Johnny828 said:
dudewitbow said:
ShardTheOwl said:
Wait, hold up a second. Is it really worth the 660 Ti for the PhysX and stuff?


depends. there's only a handful of games that make good use of Physx. others its just minor particle effects.


That. And besides, incoming games are being made for consoles that have ATI cards, so you might start seeing less PhysX and more ATI technology.




actually, the consoles were given a contract to be able to use the cpu compute based Physx on the console. so physx can still be used on them, just not at the same extent that a full blown nvidia gpu would do. Nvidia probably allowed that so that Physx would still be viable in the upcoming AMD advertised gaming world

That may be true, but that means developers will use PhysX sparingly since it is slow to compute on the CPU.


It depends, there's always that chance that Nvidia pusposely chose to optimize physx on CUDA cores and played with coding to make it run worse on the cpu. I mean originally, these effects are all cpu based. Nvidia could have probably loosened up the code for physx if it mean it would be implemented on a console game.
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 7:46:19 PM

I'm still having trouble deciding between the 2.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 7:48:03 PM

ShardTheOwl said:
I'm still having trouble deciding between the 2.
Buy whichever is cheaper problem solved.:lol: 

m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 7:49:57 PM

ShardTheOwl said:
I'm still having trouble deciding between the 2.


both have their applications. I'd go for the bonuses though. the 7950 will have Crysis 3/Bioshock/FC3:Blood Dragon
the 660ti will have Metro Last Light on participating stores
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 7:58:12 PM

If I get the 7950, which one should I get?
m
0
l
a c 139 À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 7:58:14 PM

Johnny828 said:
dudewitbow said:
ShardTheOwl said:
Wait, hold up a second. Is it really worth the 660 Ti for the PhysX and stuff?


depends. there's only a handful of games that make good use of Physx. others its just minor particle effects.


That. And besides, incoming games are being made for consoles that have ATI cards, so you might start seeing less PhysX and more ATI technology.


Those would be TressFX, which is so far looking pretty awesome and less bloody gimmicky than PhysX. PhysX does not even make sense in some game where the effect is actually annoying and just cluttering.

One more thing, ATI is dead and gone. Its AMD.

m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 8:03:22 PM

ShardTheOwl said:
If I get the 7950, which one should I get?


Safe Choices:
MSI Twin Frozr 3
Asus DC2
HIS IceQ
Sapphire Dual-X

Choices that may teeter depending on preference:
Gigabyte Windforce(heard its moderately loud)
XFX(good long warranty period, cooler is subpar compared to competitors)
Sapphire Vapor-X(if you get one that's either a) voltage locked or b) bad vram cooling. if its not a or b, then its a great card)
m
0
l
a c 139 À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 8:05:37 PM

dudewitbow said:
ShardTheOwl said:
If I get the 7950, which one should I get?


Safe Choices:
MSI Twin Frozr 3
Asus DC2
HIS IceQ
Sapphire Dual-X

Choices that may teeter depending on preference:
Gigabyte Windforce(heard its moderately loud)
XFX(good long warranty period, cooler is subpar compared to competitors)
Sapphire Vapor-X(if you get one that's either a) voltage locked or b) bad vram cooling. if its not a or b, then its a great card)


I agree with this, Dual-X then IceQ versions then MSI TF versions then finally comes Asus. Why is Asus last you ask? Its large, and is probably the most expensive one in the lot for not much extra.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 8:11:19 PM

Novuake said:
dudewitbow said:
ShardTheOwl said:
If I get the 7950, which one should I get?


Safe Choices:
MSI Twin Frozr 3
Asus DC2
HIS IceQ
Sapphire Dual-X

Choices that may teeter depending on preference:
Gigabyte Windforce(heard its moderately loud)
XFX(good long warranty period, cooler is subpar compared to competitors)
Sapphire Vapor-X(if you get one that's either a) voltage locked or b) bad vram cooling. if its not a or b, then its a great card)


I agree with this, Dual-X then IceQ versions then MSI TF versions then finally comes Asus. Why is Asus last you ask? Its large, and is probably the most expensive one in the lot for not much extra.


sorta on the same boat but different pros and cons for the asus card. Asus will tend to be the quietest of the bunch with its large heatsink. disadvantage(which also is shared with sapphire as well) as they are terrible with RMA's if there would be a point where the gpu crapped out on the user.
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 8:17:26 PM

Which one do you think is best for the money?
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 8:18:54 PM



ShardTheOwl said:
Which one do you think is best for the money?



bigcyco1 said:
ShardTheOwl said:
I'm still having trouble deciding between the 2.
Buy whichever is cheaper problem solved.:lol: 




basically that
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 8:21:28 PM

I mean the cheapest 7950?
m
0
l
a c 139 À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 8:22:46 PM

dudewitbow said:
Novuake said:
dudewitbow said:
ShardTheOwl said:
If I get the 7950, which one should I get?


Safe Choices:
MSI Twin Frozr 3
Asus DC2
HIS IceQ
Sapphire Dual-X

Choices that may teeter depending on preference:
Gigabyte Windforce(heard its moderately loud)
XFX(good long warranty period, cooler is subpar compared to competitors)
Sapphire Vapor-X(if you get one that's either a) voltage locked or b) bad vram cooling. if its not a or b, then its a great card)


I agree with this, Dual-X then IceQ versions then MSI TF versions then finally comes Asus. Why is Asus last you ask? Its large, and is probably the most expensive one in the lot for not much extra.


sorta on the same boat but different pros and cons for the asus card. Asus will tend to be the quietest of the bunch with its large heatsink. disadvantage(which also is shared with sapphire as well) as they are terrible with RMA's if there would be a point where the gpu crapped out on the user.


RMA in South Africa is bad in general. Waiting times of 2 weeks at best. So yeah, I would not know.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 8:23:07 PM

ShardTheOwl said:
I mean the cheapest 7950?


if its online, then it depends on where you live, because sites will tax you if they own a facility in your state(for instance, california has a newegg/NCIX/Amazon factory and get taxed on this site, TigerDirect Doesn't)
m
0
l
a c 139 À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 8:25:03 PM

ShardTheOwl said:
I mean the cheapest 7950?


The cheapest is after rebate are usually Sapphire Dual-X. Sometimes its the HIS IceQ. So yeah, choose between them.

The MSI TF HD7950s are actually quite hard to find at the moment. So considering that its an easy choice.

If you ahve a well ventilated case and prefer quieter operation, the Sapphire Dual-X, if you want something that blows hot air of the GPU directly out of the case that is a bit louder, the IceQ. So yeah.
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 8:26:49 PM

dudewitbow said:
ShardTheOwl said:
I mean the cheapest 7950?


if its online, then it depends on where you live, because sites will tax you if they own a facility in your state(for instance, california has a newegg/NCIX/Amazon factory and get taxed on this site, TigerDirect Doesn't)


I live in Massachusetts
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 8:29:12 PM

And what's with the box for the Sapphire? Lol... just saying
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 9:01:56 PM

Well I mean it looks nice a nice card... What's wrong about the cooler?
m
0
l
a c 139 À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 9:36:38 PM

smeezekitty said:
Power cooler isn't as good of quality in general and the cooler is primitive.
Gigabyte: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Looks nice but it is alittle more expensive.


Gigabytes are voltage locked, rendering that nice cooler useless other than being silent.
m
0
l
a c 139 À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2013 9:37:34 PM

ShardTheOwl said:
Well I mean it looks nice a nice card... What's wrong about the cooler?


Looks can be deceiving. Its a single fan design that is very near the same as a reference cooler, which are very loud and not efficient cooling at all.
m
0
l
May 4, 2013 6:07:42 AM

Well I'm not planning on overclocking it, but the Gigabyte seems good except for alot of people in the reviews saying they got a DOA and other bad stuff happening.
m
0
l
May 4, 2013 6:34:29 AM

No, I meant the one I posted.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
May 4, 2013 6:45:29 AM

Oh i wouldn't buy that.But it's your choice do as you please.
m
0
l
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!